2020 your plans and prepping goals?? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

2020 your plans and prepping goals??

This is a discussion on 2020 your plans and prepping goals?? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Take a rifle training class and buy 2k or so 8M3 in 7.62x39. Get in better shape. Try to get my wife more excited about ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: 2020 your plans and prepping goals??

Take a rifle training class and buy 2k or so 8M3 in 7.62x39.

Get in better shape.

Try to get my wife more excited about guns.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Historyjunkie View Post
    Take a rifle training class and buy 2k or so 8M3 in 7.62x39.

Get in better shape.

Try to get my wife more excited about guns.

You don't need your wife to be excited about guns. You need her to be competent with guns. Why do you think she needs to be excited?

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    You don't need your wife to be excited about guns. You need her to be competent with guns. Why do you think she needs to be excited?
    Usually when you like doing something, you will put more effort into it and do it more.

She probably comes shooting with me once a year.

She knows how to operate all the firearms we own but she has a really hard time racking slides on pistols.

I don't think she could hit a dinner plate at 7 or 10 yards with a handgun.

A lot of these issues IMO would be fixed if she was more into it and went shooting more.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Usually when you like doing something, you will put more effort into it and do it more.

She probably comes shooting with me once a year.

She knows how to operate all the firearms we own but she has a really hard time racking slides on pistols.

I don't think she could hit a dinner plate at 7 or 10 yards with a handgun.

A lot of these issues IMO would be fixed if she was more into it and went shooting more.

So you don't really need her to be excited about guns. You need her to understand how important is is for her to be competent with guns. I'm not sure how old your wife is, but I know quite a few women my age (over 60) have a hard time racking pistols, and no amount of practice will fix that if she has diminished grip strength. She either needs easier racking pistols or you need to get her a revolver.

FWIW, I don't have any problems racking pistols, but I have a devil of a time charging our semi-automatic rifles. ALL of them.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    So you don't really need her to be excited about guns. You need her to understand how important is is for her to be competent with guns. I'm not sure how old your wife is, but I know quite a few women my age (over 60) have a hard time racking pistols, and no amount of practice will fix that if she has diminished grip strength. She either needs easier racking pistols or you need to get her a revolver.

FWIW, I don't have any problems racking pistols, but I have a devil of a time charging our semi-automatic rifles. ALL of them.
    We are young(about to be 30) but she has neuropathy in her hands which gives her diminished grip strength.

I have tried to teach her different ways to rack the slide which don't rely on using hand strength but she doesn't practice them so the point is moot.

I think the idea of using a revolver instead would only make her an even worse shot with a handgun due to the heavy double action trigger.

Banned

We are young(about to be 30) but she has neuropathy in her hands which gives her diminished grip strength.

I have tried to teach her different ways to rack the slide which don't rely on using hand strength but she doesn't practice them so the point is moot.

I think the idea of using a revolver instead would only make her an even worse shot with a handgun due to the heavy double action trigger.

Why not try something like a Kel-Tec CMR?

Or...you two could come up with a completely different way she could contribute to the situation. No reason, imo, for her to feel pressured, or even worse, lacking, for not being able to do what you want her to do.
    Ready. You?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Or...you two could come up with a completely different way she could contribute to the situation. No reason, imo, for her to feel pressured, or even worse, lacking, for not being able to do what you want her to do.
    But perhaps they are a young couple and he wants his wife to have the ability to defend herself with a firearm should the need arise.
    Historyjunkie likes this.

The Sig P238 is the smoothest, easiest racking pistol I've ever fired. My neighbor with myasthenia gravis AND arthritis in her hands can rack the slide on mine. I've never tried the P938, but it's another possibility.
    Historyjunkie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkerhunteronhoth View Post
    But perhaps they are a young couple and he wants his wife to have the ability to defend herself with a firearm should the need arise.
    This is my primary reasoning. We work opposite shifts and she is home with my 4 year old daughter when I working at night. She works days.

Since bad stuff happens a lot more frequently when the sun is down, I would like to have a little more piece of mind.

Honkerhunteronhoth likes this.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links