Fishing rigs and Salmon
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Fishing rigs and Salmon

This is a discussion on Fishing rigs and Salmon within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I’m getting into fishing more as a way to fill my fridge with non store bought meats. I just bought a decent salmon rig, and ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Fishing rigs and Salmon

Fishing rigs and Salmon

I’m getting into fishing more as a way to fill my fridge with non store bought meats. I just bought a decent salmon rig, and once I can going out I will begin to build my skills fishing with a spinner rig.

Before now I solely fished as a fly fisherman, but I thought it would be fun to learn bait fishing in depth.

So I got a 9 foot rod and a spinner reel with some 30lb rated line. Threw in 3 varieties each of spinner, spoon and jigg bait. Soon I’m going to start at it.

Any fishermen and fisher women out there have any secrets they want to divulge feel free.

I am new to fishing salmon and I’m excited to begin.
    Slippy and Annie like this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Bump to the top of the threads, I know nothing about Salmon fishing and would like to hear more!

(The only thing I know about Salmon is if you go to a "seafood" restaurant in the Southern US and the waitress tells you the special is the Salmon and pronounces it SAL-MAN, do not order it! Same with Mahi Mahi, if the waitress pronounces it MAY-HIGH MAY-HIGH do not order it )
    Bigfoot63, Denton and bigwheel like this.

I spent the better part of 30 years gear fishing for salmon and steelhead in the rivers of south western BC. Even made a living out of it for a few of them.

It's pretty basic but one of those things where it just takes time on the water to really get a feel for it.

Most guys are weekend warriors getting out for a few days each month as the runs progress. Most guys are not catching good numbers of fish every trip out either.

If your goal is to catch lots of fish consistently, get good at fishing bait.

Raise the limits.
    Slippy, Sasquatch and Ragnarök like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My last fishing experience was fishing for salmon in the rivers of Alaska, decades ago. It was so easy that it wasn't even like real fishing. Everyone always caught their limit, except my ex who, apparently, was objectionable even to the fish. So, sorry...no tips or tricks from me. I'd like to try it again here in Washington, but my husband isn't interested.
    bigwheel likes this.

Use herring near the salt water confluences. If all fresh water, use salmon roe. Deep channels fish using the bottom up method. Sinker to bottom, about 24 inches up use a golf ball size of herring or similar or a string of roe on the top hook. You can leave the bottom empty or add several more roe.Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 31
Size:  6.6 KB
    Sasquatch, Slippy and Ragnarök like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarök View Post
    Any fishermen and fisher women out there have any secrets they want to divulge feel free.

I am new to fishing salmon and I’m excited to begin.
    By the sound of your setup it sounds like mostly river fishing. If that's the case, what type of water are you dealing with? Fast, slow, boulders, pebbly, sandy, high gradient or low? A specific river would also be pretty helpful in visualising what kind of conditions we're dealing with.

Raise the limits.

Super Moderator

Never fished for Salmon but I know trout can be real picky. Guessing salmon are the same. If one thing isn't working try something else. And keep trying till you get hits.
    Slippy likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Limit Killer View Post
    By the sound of your setup it sounds like mostly river fishing. If that's the case, what type of water are you dealing with? Fast, slow, boulders, pebbly, sandy, high gradient or low? A specific river would also be pretty helpful in visualising what kind of conditions we're dealing with.

Raise the limits.
    Mainly the Skykomish, and Snohomish rivers. We have been getting loads of rainfall lately so all of the rivers are swollen. The Skykomish is very rocky with boulders included; Skykomish is a fast flowing river. Snohomish is more level and calm.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”

I'm so sorry you live in Western Washington state........the stench must be as bad as cities in the Northeast......

I'm limited to rivers running into the great lakes (kings) , and landlocks in Maine.

For the former I use an 8 1/2' St Croix Wild River MH, and Penn 5500 or 6500. The later a 7' St Croix ML and Penn 4500.

I've been making my own lures for years now. Mostly spoons out of scrap copper, brass, and plated (chromed) pipes. Pretty simple to make, all you need is a hacksaw, file , hammer and drill. Buy some split rings, swivels, and hooks. For spoons, I like double rather than treble hooks. Put the 2 hooks facing the concave side of the spoon, then you can bounce the bottom, and the spoon faces the hooks up, to minimize snags
    Ragnarök likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    I'm so sorry you live in Western Washington state........the stench must be as bad as cities in the Northeast......

I'm limited to rivers running into the great lakes (kings) , and landlocks in Maine.

For the former I use an 8 1/2' St Croix Wild River MH, and Penn 5500 or 6500. The later a 7' St Croix ML and Penn 4500.

I've been making my own lures for years now. Mostly spoons out of scrap copper, brass, and plated (chromed) pipes. Pretty simple to make, all you need is a hacksaw, file , hammer and drill. Buy some split rings, swivels, and hooks. For spoons, I like double rather than treble hooks. Put the 2 hooks facing the concave side of the spoon, then you can bounce the bottom, and the spoon faces the hooks up, to minimize snags
    We have plentiful amounts of crazies! They live further west though. Despite Seattle, western Washington is wise to live in imo.

I chose this area because of climate, natural resources, and geographical perks.

Making the lures sounds like a smart hobby. I saw a fisherman take the treble hook off the lure replacing the treble with an octopus hook. He bent the hook to the side as well to increase its snagability.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links