Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Edge pro

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  The Tourist 
#1 ·
A few months back I purchased an edge pro knife sharpening tool. My first sharpening experience was a little disappointing. Like most “real men” I didn’t pay much attention to directions or the enclosed video. But now I have followed the instructions and with a little practice, I am getting good results. So the tool might be a little pricey, but it produces good results for a guy like me. I did find that most of my knives were way out of spec and required a lot of time to establish proper angles and geometry. I purchased an addition coarse diamond stone to remove a lot of material fast to initially shape my blades. So all in all, I give the system an “A”.

#2 ·
A few months back I purchased an edge pro knife sharpening tool. My first sharpening experience was a little disappointing. Like most "real men" I didn't pay much attention to directions or the enclosed video. But now I have followed the instructions and with a little practice, I am getting good results. So the tool might be a little pricey, but it produces good results for a guy like me. I did find that most of my knives were way out of spec and required a lot of time to establish proper angles and geometry. I purchased an addition coarse diamond stone to remove a lot of material fast to initially shape my blades. So all in all, I give the system an "A".
I have diamond stones, a few tiny ones for dressing game in the woods. But best are my Arkanas stones, big ones 10" long.

For crude stuff I use cheap silicone carbide to get the edge/angle close.

I started hand sharpening , ~50 years ago with my first jack knife. You get to learn how to get the angles correct. It's a skill , just like chainsaw chains. I hand file those too.

I'm not a polisher like @tourist, but my edges cut fine.

#5 ·
Edge Pro? Why, what do you know! I have one affixed to the end of our counter tops. Must have been there for plus-20 years.

BTW, not only is the Edge Pro a great item for your kitchen utensils, but you can also support yourself for years sharpening the knives of other neighbors, clients and fellow forum members.

Not a bad system. I only dinged myself once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.