SHTF w/ kids (keeping quiet)
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on SHTF w/ kids (keeping quiet) within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; So I saw that war of the worlds flick the other night on Hulu. It's an older movie now but decent. Except for the screaming ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: SHTF w/ kids (keeping quiet)

San

So I saw that war of the worlds flick the other night on Hulu. It's an older movie now but decent. Except for the screaming girl throughout the movie. I kept thinking, someone shut that kid up! and I've thought this before when I've watched movies or if I run simulations for a variety of more than likely never gonna happen scenarios ... and I think, what if I had to keep my kid quiet and calm and wasn't able to?

What if they panicked? what if it was an adult who was panicking. Of course, I would be tempted to pull some movie-style slap the person in the face to get them to stop freaking out but in real life, would it even happen that way? what would you do if you had to keep your kid quiet to escape or bug out safely and quietly? the reality is, no one knows how they'll react unless they've already been tested in the service or want not.

I've actually looked into it and I've decided I would probably buy some Valerian Root or maybe if I could get my hands on something, something to knock my kid out entirely would be preferable if I had to. The reality is I guess ... prepping when you have kids is sorta petrifying. or with the elderly or disabled. at least the elderly know what's going on. but children and the disabled or even just adults with panic tendencies, idk.

what would be your game plan if you were paired up with someone with a panic disorder, the disabled, small child, etc. ?

RedLion likes this.
    There cannot be a happy ending to the fight between the raging gods and humans...
    We depict hatred, but it is to depict that there are more important things.
    We depict a curse, to depict the joy of liberation. -princess mononoke

First thing is to get their attention focused on something else other than what caused them to panic. It helps if you're not panicked either. Talk to them quietly to get them to quiet down, then assign them a job to do....something, anything to keep their mind off the trouble and on something productive. If needed, offer a reward either for being quiet or doing the assigned job.

Problem with sedation is now you have to transport the individual while bugging out. Less supplies that you can carry. @JustAnotherNut has the best idea.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

At what point do you leave the person behind and move on without them? Sure it will be a hard choice but self preservation of the group or yourself should be top priority.
    SGG and RedLion like this.

Many years ago, i watched the last episode of MASH. The one where Hawkeye is in the boobyhatch. They eventually showed
    hawkeye went over the edge because a Korean mother smothered her infant because it was crying and would draw the
    attention of the enemy to the location where they were hiding in the bus. I was was both horrified and sympathetic.
    JustAnotherNut and RedLion like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by paraquack View Post
    Many years ago, i watched the last episode of MASH. The one where Hawkeye is in the boobyhatch. They eventually showed
    hawkeye went over the edge because a Korean mother smothered her infant because it was crying and would draw the
    attention of the enemy to the location where they were hiding in the bus. I was was both horrified and sympathetic.
    It was the final episode, "Goodbye, Farewell and Amen". And a similar incidence has actually occurred.
    Last edited by Back Pack Hack; 11-23-2019 at 08:45 AM.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

"If I have to get out of this chair" was the only thing my Dad would have to say to my brother and I to be quite while he was watching football on Sundays. We never tested the theory of what exactly would happen if he got out of the chair, but past experience in testing my Dad's patience gave us a pretty good idea. We would quietly, ever so very quietly, move out of harms way.
    Slippy, Inor and Marica like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    "If I have to get out of this chair" was the only thing my Dad would have to say to my brother and I to be quite while he was watching football on Sundays. We never tested the theory of what exactly would happen if he got out of the chair, but past experience in testing my Dad's patience gave us a pretty good idea. We would quietly, ever so very quietly, move out of harms way.
    damn straigt……...that 'or else' usually meant getting a quick lesson on being knocked into next week
    Prepared One and Slippy like this.

This was one of my nightmares when my daughter was very little. She would cry loudly and often. I was unable to think of a solution and probably bought another gun and box of ammo. Eventually, a thought occurred to me. Humans must be much stronger, resourceful and resilient than I previously thought otherwise we could not survive as a species living among predator animals.

Fortunately, my daughter is older and has command of English, so I can communicate with her. She understands the difference between a trivial matter ("be quiet I'm watching TV" which may result in some defiance) and when there is a serious, eminent threat ("lightning, get out of the pool" in which case she fully cooperates).

Having experienced the nightmare many times over a period of years, all I can say is, "Peace be with you. We will get through whatever life throws at us."

The simple fact that we have identified potential problems and are actively working through solutions places us in an infinitely better position than we would be otherwise.
    The mind is the prepper's most important asset.

might try different practice scenarios. like try doing a home senerio where it's best to keep quiet due to people going past.or attacking.untill the child/children is doing a good job of keeping quite. then upgrade by going with a bug out senerio. in a vehicle.do the vehicle senerio's untill your happy with them.tgen start with bugging out on foot senerio's.and maybe start them out with some friendly walks along streets.through wolded areas and on trails.then throw in some bug out item's.
    tuffy_chick_13 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links