If you take meds daily, what will you do when they are not available?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on If you take meds daily, what will you do when they are not available? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; So, I am an old fart who takes 5 different meds daily. Fortunately, none of the 5 are super critical to keeping me alive. They ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: If you take meds daily, what will you do when they are not available?

So, I am an old fart who takes 5 different meds daily. Fortunately, none of the 5 are super critical to keeping me alive.
    They are more related to making my life more livable. No heart meds or diabetes meds or insulin. But I am guessing
    there are some of us that actually depend of meds to allow us to see tomorrow and the day after that.

From reading literature on diabetes, losing excess weight can help ease or eliminate dependancy on insulin or other
    diabetes type meds.

What if anything have you learned to help keep you alive when the drug stores are emptied by looting?

Name:  pharmacy looted.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  61.1 KB
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Losing weight will help both the diabetes and high blood pressure, . . . that's an accepted fact.

My big problem would be my peripheral neuropathy in my feet and hands. Could turn out to be a bear without the meds, . . . but at least not life threatening.

But I figure I'll probably be one of those found in a pile of empty brass if the sewer rats make it far enough out of the city to get to my area, . . . so meds are not something I'm really doing the big worry about.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Slippy and rice paddy daddy like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Myself, I am on Metformin which I can cut the dose in half a day and be OK,

my A1C is at and has been at pre-diabetic levels for years now.

SHTF, my diet will change quickly to suite, and the need for the metformin will diminish.

There are a few others, the key one, which is not needed to survive is for my migraines, without it I can become incapacitated.

I carry those around like a guy does nitro for his heart, they are stored in both Jeeps also.

I do have a five year supply of all my assorted meds and antibiotics prepped and frozen.

I will be lucky if I live another 5 years in itself.

My kids meds are in the same status, 5 years of them.

@dwight55 , same here on the rats.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 11-22-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    paraquack and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I take Cholesterol and Blood Pressure meds daily, periodically an arthritis med. But my Cholesterol is very good (sub 180) but for some reason my doc keeps me on a small dose. I believe my blood pressure will drop post SHTF due to diet and a different type of exercise.

Mrs S, a Type 1 Diabetic (childhood onset), is hosed.
    Prepared One, modfan and RedLion like this.

Many will either just be uncomfortable, some will be every uncomfortable. Others will be very sick, others will die. In many cases not a darn thing you can do about it. My wife is one. With her thyroid removed she must have her medication. There is no way to get enough to store, not a long shelf life and you can not make your own. You can in theory extract it from pigs but no way to control dosage. I take nothing. Considering my wife fate post SHTF others should know I will have nothing to lose a short time after the SHTF.
    Last edited by Smitty901; 11-22-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    dwight55, SOCOM42, Slippy and 3 others like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

@Smitty901 , I just looked up the T3 and T4, you are right, a very complicated hormone.

Process is way above my pay grade.

I will look further into it when I get a chance.

If I can remember, I will ask my brother the doctor if he has any ideas.

Desiccated thyroid extract: thyroid hormone pill made from animal thyroid glands.

My second quick look;

Currently desiccated thyroid extract is made from pig thyroids and is available as Armour Thyroid™.

I know a few who will go from lack of meds, it is maddening to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    @Smitty901 , I just looked up the T3 and T4, you are right, a very complicated hormone.

Process is way above my pay grade.

I will look further into it when I get a chance.

If I can remember, I will ask my brother the doctor if he has any ideas.

Desiccated thyroid extract: thyroid hormone pill made from animal thyroid glands.

My second quick look;

Currently desiccated thyroid extract is made from pig thyroids and is available as Armour Thyroid™.

I know a few who will go from lack of meds, it is maddening to think about it.
    They use the syn stuff mostly because the stuff made from pigs, even the medical companies have a hard time getting the dosage right . As for black market supplies I have had leads but not trust worthy at all.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

After having a DVT last year it has crossed my mind. Xarelto is about $500 a month so no way can I stock it up. Its possible if I stop taking it I won't have another DVT but there is always that chance. I know turmeric thins your blood so I might have to go that route. Since have more research to do on the subject. As far as bp I only take a low dose so I need to stock up on hibiscus tea its great for lowing blood pressure.

If I can't take my medications? I suppose I will have to listen to the voices again.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Only meds I take are to keep me from losing it on assholes ....if the meds become obsolete, I'd bet there are way too many assholes that need to be dealt with.

for those dependent on meds, Its only practical to look for alternatives and extend what they have. I practice the age old practice of don't over clean or insulate yourself from bacteria...colds...etc. because your body is its best defense...and if you never train it to deal with the bad...your just making it weaker. and then I practiced for years the bad art of poisoning myself with alcohol...still do sometimes to make sure I still know how...and so I know what feeling so bad I wish I was dead feels like too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links