Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered

This is a discussion on Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Yeah ok, so we all got food, water, security, alternate energy sources, yada, yada...….BUT......do you have extra sets of clothes, towels, bedding, etc put away ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered

  1. #1
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    292

    Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered

    Yeah ok, so we all got food, water, security, alternate energy sources, yada, yada...….BUT......do you have extra sets of clothes, towels, bedding, etc put away just for SHTF? If you have kids, they'll need even more as they grow, diapers too are another one. And even if you don't have kids now, there's a strong possibility to be in your near future if you're of childbearing age...especially after a life altering type event.

    Also, depending on what type of 'event' happens it's possible we could see the need to stay indoors in case of nuclear/radiation fallout or some other contaminant or other event. Who knows what may happen, right? If for any reason we are stuck indoors for any length of time, is there enough oxygen in your home? Houseplants are a great way of getting rid of the CO2 in exchange for oxygen.

    Even if you don't really have a green thumb, there are some plants that are easy keepers. I have some aloe's, pothos, a spider start, Christmas catcus, a pineapple top and an orchid. So far they all seem to be doing fine and growing, though the pothos is going crazy and all in spite of my abuse & neglect. I also just picked up a boston fern the other day. I love these, but have always had trouble keeping one going.

    Other options for those odd preps......pest control including flea, tick or other bug control....then there's mice & rats. Come SHTF, and these may become out of control.


    Any other suggestions???
    Denton, Prepared One and Slippy like this.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20,679
    If you have a dwelling large enough to house enough plants to scrub CO2, you have a very large house and are spending all of your time tending to the plants!
    JustAnotherNut and paraquack like this.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

  3. #3
    Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    50
    I think yarn and thread that kind of stuff to fix and make blankets and clothing as well is something people miss.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    If you have a dwelling large enough to house enough plants to scrub CO2, you have a very large house and are spending all of your time tending to the plants!
    Well I have a small house (less than 1000sf) and most of the plants I do have, don't mind being neglected. I water when I remember or they're looking sad, but not everyday that's for sure.



    It would also be good to brush up on your survival skills now, when you don't need it, than to wait until you do need it and find you maybe not as skilled as you thought. Better to work out the bugs in your system beforehand so when the time does come, you'll breeze right thru. Don't put it off, do some practice runs now.

    And remember, no matter how well we think we're prepared for whatever may come...…..there's always going to be something we didn't expect.
    Denton and Marica like this.

  6. #5
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffy_chick_13 View Post
    I think yarn and thread that kind of stuff to fix and make blankets and clothing as well is something people miss.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, great idea.

  7. #6
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Way North East
    Posts
    5,647
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffy_chick_13 View Post
    I think yarn and thread that kind of stuff to fix and make blankets and clothing as well is something people miss.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Mom knitted and sewed. I have knitting supplies and a real nice old Singer sewing machine. I also have Grandma's treadle Singer, if the power goes out.

    I keep a small kit in my backpack bag that will do everything from leather/shoes to lightweight nylon. It's about the size of a sandwich.
    JustAnotherNut and Annie like this.

  8. #7
    Super Moderator


    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    20,679
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Well I have a small house (less than 1000sf) and most of the plants I do have, don't mind being neglected. I water when I remember or they're looking sad, but not everyday that's for sure.



    It would also be good to brush up on your survival skills now, when you don't need it, than to wait until you do need it and find you maybe not as skilled as you thought. Better to work out the bugs in your system beforehand so when the time does come, you'll breeze right thru. Don't put it off, do some practice runs now.

    And remember, no matter how well we think we're prepared for whatever may come...…..there's always going to be something we didn't expect.
    You and I have houses that are siblings!

    Plants don't breathe at the same rate we do. You'll not be able to house enough plants to scrub the air.
    If you are trying to keep NBC hazards out of your house, you'll have to seal it as best you can with materials such as plastic sheets and duct tape. While scrubbing Co2 might not be practical, several dive tanks might be an idea.
    I don't dive, anymore, as my shoulders are shot and that means I might not be able to reach to cut my way out of fishing line. That doesn't mean the tanks are no longer useful. You can crack the valve a little to a slow leak to add oxygen or occasionally open it up for a good blast. Wear hearing protection when you do.
    Generally, you have to be dive-certified to get tanks filled but if you explain what you are doing to the right dive shop, they might sell you some tanks and fill them for you.

    I'm not as skilled as I'd like to be in many things.
    As far as plans, any soldier can tell you that the best of plans can go right out the window in the first minute of contact with the enemy.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

  9. #8
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Way North East
    Posts
    5,647
    Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Well I have a small house (less than 1000sf) and most of the plants I do have, don't mind being neglected. I water when I remember or they're looking sad, but not everyday that's for sure.



    It would also be good to brush up on your survival skills now, when you don't need it, than to wait until you do need it and find you maybe not as skilled as you thought. Better to work out the bugs in your system beforehand so when the time does come, you'll breeze right thru. Don't put it off, do some practice runs now.

    And remember, no matter how well we think we're prepared for whatever may come...…..there's always going to be something we didn't expect.
    Why not something you can eat?

    Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered-pepper-forest.jpg

  10. #9
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    You and I have houses that are siblings!

    Plants don't breathe at the same rate we do. You'll not be able to house enough plants to scrub the air.
    If you are trying to keep NBC hazards out of your house, you'll have to seal it as best you can with materials such as plastic sheets and duct tape. While scrubbing Co2 might not be practical, several dive tanks might be an idea.
    I don't dive, anymore, as my shoulders are shot and that means I might not be able to reach to cut my way out of fishing line. That doesn't mean the tanks are no longer useful. You can crack the valve a little to a slow leak to add oxygen or occasionally open it up for a good blast. Wear hearing protection when you do.
    Generally, you have to be dive-certified to get tanks filled but if you explain what you are doing to the right dive shop, they might sell you some tanks and fill them for you.

    I'm not as skilled as I'd like to be in many things.
    As far as plans, any soldier can tell you that the best of plans can go right out the window in the first minute of contact with the enemy.

    We don't have tanks anymore either. Hubby used to have a few around but got rid of them before he passed.
    Denton likes this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    292
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    Why not something you can eat?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	the pepper forest.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	101257
    That may be another serious option to look into...…..growing food indoors.
    Denton likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to Top