Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered

This is a discussion on Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Prepared One For the record, I store needles, thread, and patches. I also know how to sew, not well, but good enough. ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    For the record, I store needles, thread, and patches. I also know how to sew, not well, but good enough. I grew up poor so my Mom patched and sewed everything. She taught my brother and I to sew and cook since she thought us heathens would never get a woman to do it. She even made some of our clothes and I remember my grandmother sewing and making her own clothes. Now, I am not at that level certainly, but I can sew a patch or button or stitch a hole closed.

Also, just for the record, I keep all my sewing storage in my gun safe, next to my guns.
    You're fortunate that your mother saw those skills as important and taught them to you. You're probably ahead of about 75% of the population.
    Prepared One likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    I learned to sew at an early age, one grandmother,

who live in the same house as us constantly made her clothing from flour sacks.

The flour sacks came from the night club/ restaurant they owned,

had plenty of money but always reverted back to old world ideas.

Those sacks were in all sorts of cotton prints, not just plain sacks.

I have her Singer sewing machine, a foot treadle with an electric motor added,

control was at right knee and it could be put on floor.

Today I have to use a magnifier and a threading tool when using any sewing needle.
    The flour companies started using print fabric for the sacks during the depression when they realized that people were using them to construct clothing. Most of the prints are pretty nice, because they were using them to compete for business.

Quote Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose View Post
    Boots out of their kids. Gives new meaning to the phrase "To walk in someone else's shoes"
    OMG, hilarious!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

If we were stranded on the west side after SHTF, I have a lot of skills I could barter, but on the east side, sewing is probably the only one that would be valuable. I can construct a garment that fits the actual person it's being constructed for. I'm working on building a stash of fabrics that would be useful in that situation. Denim, ripstop nylon, polar fleece, UV protective fabric...that sort of thing. What I should be doing is using my treadle to construct one.

It's nice to have a machine that was designed to operate without electricity, but some older models of electric machines could probably be operated off grid by turning the wheel by hand. I'm thinking that you'd need to have a mechanical machine; one with no electronics. You could probably convert one to operate with a treadle, but most people don't have old treadle tables sitting around.
    MountainGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
    The flour companies started using print fabric for the sacks during the depression when they realized that people were using them to construct clothing. Most of the prints are pretty nice, because they were using them to compete for business.
    duplicate

Ah, yup, I knew that.
    paulag1955 likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    We aint really very dedicated preppers. Dont have any room to store much. When the food and ammo run out we are saving the last few rounds for ourselves..sorta like a John Wayne movie and the Injuns are closing in fast. Being Bible Believing Christians is sorta hard to prep as Annie say about those pesky old Cathloics. We are confident the Lord will protect us and we aint overly scared of dying..lol.
    Ora pro nobis peccatoribus Catholici, Bigwheel. Gratias ago!
    "Who is She that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as a army set in battle array?"

OMG, hilarious!
    If we were stranded on the west side after SHTF, I have a lot of skills I could barter, but on the east side, sewing is probably the only one that would be valuable. I can construct a garment that fits the actual person it's being constructed for. I'm working on building a stash of fabrics that would be useful in that situation. Denim, ripstop nylon, polar fleece, UV protective fabric...that sort of thing. What I should be doing is using my treadle to construct one.

It's nice to have a machine that was designed to operate without electricity, but some older models of electric machines could probably be operated off grid by turning the wheel by hand. I'm thinking that you'd need to have a mechanical machine; one with no electronics. You could probably convert one to operate with a treadle, but most people don't have old treadle tables sitting around.
    Ya'll know damn well you're going to be standing next to someone this weekend and look over and think to yourself, "You'd fit me about right, right after a good tanning". Don't say it though.....its a double entendre.....
    paulag1955 and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Ya'll know damn well you're going to be standing next to someone this weekend and look over and think to yourself, "You'd fit me about right, right after a good tanning". Don't say it though.....its a double entendre.....

Only if it was a child I’m to short for most adults at 4” 10.5 But my busy may not fit a child though so I don’t know and since I don’t know how to skin and tan a hide I’ll have to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy_chick_13 View Post
    Only if it was a child I’m to short for most adults at 4” 10.5 But my busy may not fit a child though so I don’t know and since I don’t know how to skin and tan a hide I’ll have to pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nonsense...You gotta think outside the box....every full size person is like a winter jacket, skinny jeans, and a bathing suit all thrown in..... Get out there and Get you some clothes Woman!!! Where do you think the skirt and the tube top came from. Little cave women, wearing their mom in laws leg "skins" with some creative trimming here and there.

don't you let Can't be your enemy....cain't never could, won't hasn't said he would.... as for Will and Might, they both have stage fright, but do does it all the time.
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 01-09-2020 at 09:33 PM.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links