Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered

This is a discussion on Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut Yeah ok, so we all got food, water, security, alternate energy sources, yada, yada...….BUT......do you have extra sets of clothes, towels, ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    Yeah ok, so we all got food, water, security, alternate energy sources, yada, yada...….BUT......do you have extra sets of clothes, towels, bedding, etc put away just for SHTF? If you have kids, they'll need even more as they grow, diapers too are another one. And even if you don't have kids now, there's a strong possibility to be in your near future if you're of childbearing age...especially after a life altering type event.

Also, depending on what type of 'event' happens it's possible we could see the need to stay indoors in case of nuclear/radiation fallout or some other contaminant or other event. Who knows what may happen, right? If for any reason we are stuck indoors for any length of time, is there enough oxygen in your home? Houseplants are a great way of getting rid of the CO2 in exchange for oxygen.

Even if you don't really have a green thumb, there are some plants that are easy keepers. I have some aloe's, pothos, a spider start, Christmas catcus, a pineapple top and an orchid. So far they all seem to be doing fine and growing, though the pothos is going crazy and all in spite of my abuse & neglect. I also just picked up a boston fern the other day. I love these, but have always had trouble keeping one going.

Other options for those odd preps......pest control including flea, tick or other bug control....then there's mice & rats. Come SHTF, and these may become out of control.

Any other suggestions???
    Human skin. Its tough., and can be tanned. In a real SHTF scenario, I plan on wearing my neighbors skin. His wife is fluffy, so I'll make a winter blanket from her. Boots out of their kids. It would help with concealing your description as well...."Well, he looked like uncle pete....just a little taller...."
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    I learned to sew at an early age, one grandmother,

who live in the same house as us constantly made her clothing from flour sacks.

The flour sacks came from the night club/ restaurant they owned,

had plenty of money but always reverted back to old world ideas.

Those sacks were in all sorts of cotton prints, not just plain sacks.

I have her Singer sewing machine, a foot treadle with an electric motor added,

control was at right knee and it could be put on floor.

Today I have to use a magnifier and a threading tool when using any sewing needle.
    My wife has her grandmothers old Treadle sewing machine. It still works as far as I know. She has an electric one as well but her arthritis has gotten so bad that she doesn't do much sewing these days. Getting old is a hard thing to do my friend.
    SOCOM42 likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by watcher View Post
    Looks like I get to try out my prep/survival skills..My landlord just kicked the rent from $585.00 to $725.00..His reason is that everyone else is raising their rent so he will raise his...I am heading up to Idaho with all of my goodies...It sure is going to get cold and lonely out there...
    Oh ouch! That's quite an increase. So what do you plan to do in Idaho?

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    "Who is She that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as a army set in battle array?"

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Human skin. Its tough., and can be tanned. In a real SHTF scenario, I plan on wearing my neighbors skin. His wife is fluffy, so I'll make a winter blanket from her. Boots out of their kids. It would help with concealing your description as well...."Well, he looked like uncle pete....just a little taller...."
    Very resourceful.

Sent from my SM-S337TL using Tapatalk
    "Who is She that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as a army set in battle array?"

Boots out of their kids. Gives new meaning to the phrase "To walk in someone else's shoes"
    Slippy likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    For the record, I store needles, thread, and patches. I also know how to sew, not well, but good enough. I grew up poor so my Mom patched and sewed everything. She taught my brother and I to sew and cook since she thought us heathens would never get a woman to do it. She even made some of our clothes and I remember my grandmother sewing and making her own clothes. Now, I am not at that level certainly, but I can sew a patch or button or stitch a hole closed.

Also, just for the record, I keep all my sewing storage in my gun safe, next to my guns.
    I learned to sew at an early age, one grandmother,

who live in the same house as us constantly made her clothing from flour sacks.

The flour sacks came from the night club/ restaurant they owned,

had plenty of money but always reverted back to old world ideas.

Those sacks were in all sorts of cotton prints, not just plain sacks.

I have her Singer sewing machine, a foot treadle with an electric motor added,

control was at right knee and it could be put on floor.

Today I have to use a magnifier and a threading tool when using any sewing needle.
    Yup sewing is a old school valuable skill. I sew upholstery, snowmobile seats, motorcycle seats and leathercraft. I can do other sewing and repairs as well.
    Nope not for hire though now... but maybe in retirement?
    Prepared One likes this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    but maybe in retirement?
    Oh, be careful! I thought that "doing a knife or two" would be a good thing for the guys on our forum. Well, two years and three worn out stones later...!

Now, I don't charge anymore. My tax consultant told me the scant income I made from sharpening costs me money! He told me to list my social security and the pennies I get from couponing, pocket the refund and then shut up.

No matter how you approach this you'll have to pay something. You just make it a "little something."
    hawgrider likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    My wife has her grandmothers old Treadle sewing machine. It still works as far as I know. She has an electric one as well but her arthritis has gotten so bad that she doesn't do much sewing these days. Getting old is a hard thing to do my friend.
    My grandmother died in 1970 @ 100 years of age,

my aunt was going to throw out the machine with lots of other stuff, I grabbed it before the junkers came.

Being the trash bag my aunt was, she would not damage her nails doing such low life work.

My father hated his own sister, it went back into the late 30's with the hatred,

she was not allowed into the house until after my grandfather died Christmas eve 1951,

he had disowned her back in the late thirties also.

I did not know she even existed until the summer after grandfather's death, when she moved in with grandmother.

She brought her zoot suite boyfriend with her, my father kicked his ass and then kicked him out.

Sorry to rant on shit from the past.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 01-09-2020 at 09:43 AM.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

Sorry to rant on shit from the past.
    No need for an apology. I'll bet a chocolate chip cookie that most of us have relatives we wish would move to Alabama.

My dad used to dread going to see my mother's sister, my Aunt Margie. That aunt had a "schemer" husband who never really held a job but always used to talk us to death over the money making invention he just created. Heck, I probably made more money as teenage dock donkey working at Master Lock.

Now, it should be stated that my dad was no fan of the bikers that showed up on his driveway. I blunted that criticism that while my uncle was a laggard, all the bikers had jobs...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Oh, be careful! I thought that "doing a knife or two" would be a good thing for the guys on our forum. Well, two years and three worn out stones later...!

Now, I don't charge anymore. My tax consultant told me the scant income I made from sharpening costs me money! He told me to list my social security and the pennies I get from couponing, pocket the refund and then shut up.

No matter how you approach this you'll have to pay something. You just make it a "little something."
    Ever hear of the saying "Under the table."
    paulag1955 and Prepared One like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields
    You can find me at the Hidden Content

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links