Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered

This is a discussion on Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut We don't have tanks anymore either. Hubby used to have a few around but got rid of them before he passed. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Just how prepared are you? Some ideas that may not have been considered

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    We don't have tanks anymore either. Hubby used to have a few around but got rid of them before he passed.
    Still got a card? Get a few tanks and get them filled. Heck, having the lines and the masks are a good idea.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    Still got a card? Get a few tanks and get them filled. Heck, having the lines and the masks are a good idea.
    I never did have a card and honestly not sure if hubby ever did. Though he did use them. I don't have any of his equipment anymore.
    Denton likes this.

You just have to remember to plan for never going to a store again once the SHTF. Even if the store is open will it be worth the risk of disease, violence or death to go there?? Figure out what you really need to survive and for how long. Cause eventually your best plans will fail and you'll be SOL, deal with it.
    Last edited by Chipper; 11-07-2019 at 06:34 AM.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post

I'm not as skilled as I'd like to be in many things.
    As far as plans, any soldier can tell you that the best of plans can go right out the window in the first minute of contact with the enemy.

I expect my plans to go to shit as soon as shit happens. But then again, knowing that puts me ahead of the game and that's why I have back up plans. Be prepared to move to the next plan.
    Denton, JustAnotherNut and Inor like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I wasn't prepared for whatever flew up and punched a $&@!%@$# hole in my tractor's radiator the other day.

Non-Functioning Bowels - First Aid

We (our survival group) assembled a medical container for stressed members that either can't shit or can't stop shitting due to the stress. This is a most common problem in disasters that is not shown in the movies. Not eating regular, drinking bad water, sleeping on the floor and living with death and despair has a way of shutting down the digestive system.

If you can't go, you become impacted and have to do like the constipated mathematician did - work it out with a pencil. Or worse yet, someone's fingers.

We assembled a medical container for stressed members that either can't shit or can't stop shitting due to the stress. It's contents:

For the No Goers: 48 cans of sliced peaches;

For the Goers: Two bottles of bleach so they can sterilize their hands afterward. They may be too exhausted to use hand soap so they can just dip their hands in a bowl. Our plan is to isolate them to use one private toilet to protect the group's hygiene.

Medical advisers suggest for the shock of mass society disruption it is best to treat with electrolytes, calm the person and let the body settle down on it's own. Just keep them hydrated. They can survive without the Pepto-Bismal.

Ingredients for electrolyte. (10% of those with dysentery die from lack of electrolytes.)
    Formula: 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda; 1/2 Tsp Salt; 3 Tbl Sugar; 1 Quart Water (room temperature)

Our Inventory: 10 Lbs Sugar; 10 Lbs Baking Soda (can be used for other things); Box of Salt

P.S. Please don't think about me when you're going.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 11-07-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    Our Survival Group Website: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post

We (our survival group) assembled a medical container for stressed members that either can't shit or can't stop shitting due to the stress. This is a most common problem in disasters that is not shown in the movies. Not eating regular, drinking bad water, sleeping on the floor and living with death and despair has a way of shutting down the digestive system.

If you can't go, you become impacted and have to do like the constipated mathematician did - work it out with a pencil. Or worse yet, someone's fingers.

We assembled a medical container for stressed members that either can't shit or can't stop shitting due to the stress. It's contents:

For the Goers: Two bottles of bleach so they can sterilize their hands afterward. They may be too exhausted to use hand soap so they can just dip their hands in a bowl. Our plan is to isolate them to use one private toilet to protect the group's hygiene.

Medical advisers suggest for the shock of mass society disruption it is best to treat with electrolytes, calm the person and let the body settle down on it's own. Just keep them hydrated. They can survive without the Pepto-Bismal.

Ingredients for electrolyte. (10% of those with dysentery die from lack of electrolytes.)
    Formula: 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda; 1/2 Tsp Salt; 3 Tbl Sugar; 1 Quart Water (room temperature)

Our Inventory: 10 Lbs Sugar; 10 Lbs Baking Soda (can be used for other things); Box of Salt

P.S. Please don't think about me when you're going.
    Prunes and peanut butter or cheese work too......just sayin

But thanks for the electrolyte recipe, that's good to know
    jimcosta likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherNut View Post
    That may be another serious option to look into...…..growing food indoors.
    I considered growing food indoors, even bought a few "grow" lights. But it takes a ton of space to grow enough food to live on for a month so I gave up on the idea. Plus if things get that bad a person wouldn't have enough water to grow stuff for the required few months. We may grow a few herbs indoors but not any large calorie foods.
    JustAnotherNut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post

Our Inventory: 10 Lbs Sugar; 10 Lbs Baking Soda (can be used for other things); Box of Salt.
    A few bottles of Imodium tablets for the trots. A few bottles of Miralax and Milk of Magnesia for harder problems. Some Ondansetron sub-lingual tablets and honey for nausea. Rolaids anyone? And plenty of soap for sanitizing.

You can get a bottle of antibacterial disinfectant concentrate that will make 80 gallons of disinfectant to put in a spray bottle for about $28 at Home Depot in the cleaning isle.
    Last edited by Elvis; 11-08-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Working your butt off trying to grow a garden will require plenty of Advil (pain killer of your choice) and sunscreen along with gloves and a large sun blocking hat. Knee pads or a "kneeling pad" would also save you a lot of pain when planting the seeds.

This is the kind of thread that's needed to attract new members.
    Last edited by Elvis; 11-08-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links