Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Being Dead

5K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  The Tourist 
#1 ·
So we had an experience here on the Farm that was as close to being dead as I want to experience.

Given such an experience, who do you contact? Do you have a protocol?

How do you announce death?

We're all gonna die, and leave behind someone who makes the announcement.

Thoughts?

#3 ·
I have a will. I don't care who tells who that I'm dead.
BTW, I'm glad no dead people had to be announced at your farm. How everyone is ok.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Usually a medical examiner or their appointee will arrive on the scene. If it is an untimely or suspicious death EMS will contact an investigator. Here in my part Tennessee the EMS supervisors are tasked with representing the M.E. and patrol officers will consult. If the EMS supervisor and Patrol supervisor concur that everything appears natural they will contact the deceased persons doctor who will sign off on the death certificate and the family will request a funeral home to come remove the body. Everyone should have their affairs in order.

#6 ·
Dealing with death is part of dealing with life. My affairs are in order, My wife will get everything and she will tell those who would care after her and her boyfriend return from their trip around the world.

#13 ·
You crafty bastard....
I was going out riding quads once and the wife was like "and if something bad happened and you died, I wouldn't even know where or how to pay the mortgage"
I told her "oh don't worry, the mortgage company will DAMN SURE find you", as I cautiously rode my four wheeler that weekend.

#8 ·
Whatever is done with me or for me or against me after I've croaked, . . . ain't no big deal.

My wife and son get what I had, . . .

I'm going to be walking the streets of glory, . . .

It's all good.

May God bless,
Dwight

#10 ·
Years ago I gave all my money (every invested nickel), knives, my guns, and three pairs of "never worn" boots to my wife.

I retained two pairs of crappy jeans, my favorite boots, my EDC knives, and my EDC pistol. I also have a 25 year old Ford F-150, but my wife doesn't want that, it has a clutch.

In reality, my total worth is about 1,500 dollars.

Now this might seem foolhardy to many of you. However, it was intensely 'freeing' for me. I've worn crappy jeans and boots since I was five years old. The defensive devices were kept only because they were functional implements after years of use.

I need nothing more. If my wife gives me a handful of singles on Monday, I usually give them back to her--unspent--on Friday. I no longer seek to collect everything I touch.

#11 · (Edited)
Have trust set up. Everyone knows what is to happen if anyone in this family dies. If it is someone not of this house hold. Call 911 and wait and wait and wait. We do not fear death in this home . We know it coming to us all. After that is when it gets real interesting.
People we know around the country that we ride with ,information comes by Email, web sight and phone. Those I served with and worked with over the years phone call most often.
Just had a call yesterday person I worked with for years passed on. The phone seems to work even with people you may not have talked with in years.

Reactions: Slippy
#14 ·
My daughter gets everything, everything is paid off, mortgage done 25 yeas ago.

Only will have to deal with recurring property tax bill and utilities.

As far as i can care they can roll me into the swamp behind the shop.

I go straight to the oven after I am gone, no funeral,

then an urn to add to the collection of the other 5 family members.

#15 ·
Asked couple riding buddies to run it up to 100mph and pop the top on the ash container and let me blow away in the wind. Other then that one last ride I could care less. Hopefully I'm not last cause I'm screwed otherwise.
Can't take any of it with you so split it up as you see fit. What's left, cause I don't plan on dying with a bunch of unused assets.

#18 · (Edited)
So we had an experience here on the Farm that was as close to being dead as I want to experience.

Given such an experience, who do you contact? Do you have a protocol?

How do you announce death?

We're all gonna die, and leave behind someone who makes the announcement.

Thoughts?
Dittos to what Pastor Dwight said. Call the cops. Part of their job to show up to help make sure if they died of natural causes or some bad actor whacked em. The town where I worked the dispatcher woud say..deceased person at such an address we go and check it out. If things look kosher..the best and quickest strategy is to get ahold of their doctor and see if they will sign a death cerfificate based on health problems. If the say yes..its all down hill. We stayed with the body till the funeral home or the Medical Examiner shows up. If no dumb doctor will not sign the death cerrtificate the dearly deceased heads to for an autopsy like on TV. Never seen one in person but seen movies. Yuck. Its real nasty. The ME at Corpus had no sense of smell thankfully. He could be cutting on maggot infested body with one hand and drink his coffee with the hand hand...or so they said. Now sometimes out of town cops call and want us to go deliver a death message. Always super sad. Best strategy is to try to figure out who is their best friend and who is their preacher and make them tag along. Sometimes they go berserk. If we work a gut slinger wreck that kills some of their citizens we call on them to deliver to bad news. Sort of an informal reciprocity agreement. Sure in most counties the Deputies do very similar stuff for country folks in their county. .

#23 ·
That's the beauty of being a Lutheran... Well before my baptism (or even my birth), Lord decided where I was going. So when I peg out, I want my friends and family to spend the day of my memorial working harder than they have ever worked before to care for their progeny and forget about my sorry ass.

#24 ·
Now, you guys might laugh about this, but I'm more worried about the ultimate place for my colors.

As some of you might know, your colors belong to the MC. I wouldn't mind being buried with mine, but then, it's perfectly legal for a club enforcer to show up and "liberate" mine.

I'll be in Heaven, so maybe I won't care one way or 'tother.

#25 ·
My father often said save the tears for the living the dead do not need them. If I die today no regrets . The Lord has blessed me with an amazing life , the path it took was sometimes long and confusing. Some times a little nudge to get me back on track some times a major kick in the but .
Affairs are in order, I have to often seen the down side of not taking care of it correctly.

#26 ·
Smitty, as you know my "affairs" are also in order. That being, I have no affairs. My wife wears only pristine jeans, and my boots don't fit her. She has her own firearms, although she'll probably inherit mine--all but the 3-inch .45 ACP 1911. That one kicks to hard for her, but I told her it's worth 1,400 bucks, so she'll probably sell it to buy clothes.

For those of you who are not yet near 70 years of age, let me tell you how the changes go.

First, be glad if you have your health, your strength and all your marbles. I am always mistaken for being in my early fifties. Watch your diet, lay off the booze--totally--and get your sleep. As I've stated, I once saw a bent elderly man in front of me in a line. When asked about his age, he gave them a number one year earlier than mine! Keep lifting at the gym, you'll need to keep the muscles you have.

And this is a personal opinion--learn some form of martial art (and a form of marital arts, too). Muggers prey on older folks, your weapon and a bad attitude might save you from a beating.

Massad Ayoob used to keep a five dollar bill attached to a matchbook. If troubled for 'spare change' he would throw the book of matches at the potential perp. Sometimes a thug wants to see how much money you're carrying.

#28 ·
@Annie, I have about two dozen automatic knives. Tell me what you like, and I'll tie an "inheritance tag" on it. I'll even check the edge and make sure it has the requisite "kitchen utility" edge on it.

Besides, even if I only leave my wife 23 automatic knives, that's more than enough to sell and get a trip to Aruba...

#29 ·
Well, I have had a good full, if somewhat colorful, life. I have lived way past my expectations and way to long for some peoples comfort. :devil: I am good with that. And after I am dead it won't matter to me what is said and what's done.

#30 ·
Well, I have had a good full, if somewhat colorful, life. I have lived way past my expectations.
In a few months I'll be 70 years old. I look at myself in the mirror and I cannot believe the truth of that statement. Then again my maternal grandfather and two aunts lived past 93 years of age. I, too, have achieved all my desires and expectations. Well, I never dated Dinah Shore, but I was kid then.

Now the question is, "Do I want to live in The Millennial World as a geezer?"

Before it gets too late in life, I think the geezers should form a "Gray Mans' Militia" and start whittling down the odds...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.