The Search for Off-Grid Land, The Dream Begins - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The Search for Off-Grid Land, The Dream Begins

This is a discussion on The Search for Off-Grid Land, The Dream Begins within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Not trying to discourage anyone just there are things you must consider before buying land. Lots of thing. Like the wood. 3 Acres looks like ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: The Search for Off-Grid Land, The Dream Begins

Not trying to discourage anyone just there are things you must consider before buying land. Lots of thing. Like the wood. 3 Acres looks like a lot until after some cutting it goes away fast and takes years to come back. Also are there any restriction on cutting by the state?. Use restrictions? looked like ATV tracks in the area . May cause some security issues.
    Go for your dream Annie but do it eyes open.
    0rocky likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

All great points! Security especially is key.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    What do I think? Well, Annie, in my humble opinion, I think those are the dumbest earrings I've ever seen. Just saying, as the kids say.
    You're jealous.
    whoppo likes this.
    "But in the end my Immaculate Heart will triumph"--OL Fatima

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    Not trying to discourage anyone just there are things you must consider before buying land. Lots of thing. Like the wood. 3 Acres looks like a lot until after some cutting it goes away fast and takes years to come back. Also are there any restriction on cutting by the state?. Use restrictions? looked like ATV tracks in the area . May cause some security issues.
    Go for your dream Annie but do it eyes open.
    Beats the carp out of NJ.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by csi-tech View Post
    Here in Tennessee we have game, very mild winters, pretty brutal summers and you can get land for about 2k per acre. The more you buy the less it is. 3 acres is fine provided you border BLM land, state park land, private hunting clubs, stuff like that. my 150 acres is completely landlocked and surrounded by huge parcels of hunting preserve. One jackball with a 5 acre strip that loves to poach, but that's it. Very, very quiet. I wish you the very best. Let us know how your search goes. I am about to embark on a large metal building, a bigger tractor, solar arrangement and other improvements.
    Tennessee is awesome.

Suppose with 3 acres you can always use the neighbors excess land. Hear that's perfectly acceptable in some people's mind.
    Last edited by Chipper; 09-17-2019 at 04:27 AM.

Mrs Inor and I went down this path and it is working out as planned. We only have about 9 acres and none of it is wooded. It was all grassland except for a wash with some mesquite around the wash.

The key to making it work is to do research, research and more research BEFORE you buy the land! Buying the land is actually the really cheap part of the process. Good land is still available in most states for $1000-$2000 per acre if you look hard for it. But then you have to improve the land to get it productive.

Drilling a well was critical and extremely expensive. We have somewhere between $30,000 and $40,000 just in the well. I honestly do not know the total cost because it was spread out over several transactions (the driller, the pump guy, the plumber to get it to the house, the primary and secondary tanks, etc.)

Then we had to fence the land. We only initially fenced about 6 1/2 acres. That was almost $11,000 for just high grade livestock fence - good quality, but nothing fancy.

So after spending almost $50,000 on the improvements on the land, it was in good enough shape to start to build a house on it, but produce absolutely nothing food wise.

Where we bought is high desert, the soil is extremely good and rich, but also dry. You can grow anything if you water it enough, but you have to figure out irrigation. That is another big expense.

Last fall we started a small fruit tree orchard. We have some apple trees, a peach tree and an almond tree. The peach tree died due to a late frost last spring. The others are doing great. But again, the trees were another expense (about $300 for the 5 trees) and they will not bear enough fruit to bother with for at least 3-5 years. We will add more fruit trees this fall for probably another $300. I figure I am also going to have at least another $500 in automatic irrigation once I figure out where this year's trees are going.

Next winter, my plan is to build some formal gardens so we start getting better production from our gardening. I expect that will run between $2,000-$3,000 by the time I get them built the way I want.

Just last week, I dropped another $5,000 to have a small pasture fenced off with a catch pen and a few gates so we can start raising a beef.

These are all great things that are going to more than pay for themselves within 3-5 years. But there is a LOT of up front cash layout to even get started being self-sufficient and buying the land is nothing compared to the rest. I am not complaining as I KNEW what numbers would look like going into effort and had the money put back so we could pay cash. But if you add the numbers up, I have close to $70K invested and still have not produced an ounce of usable food. I will. I know for a fact, that by this time next year, I will be starting to reap the benefits of the money I have spent so far. But still, you have to have a solid plan to be able to spend the money and reap the benefits.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Beats the carp out of NJ.
    Heck, even Illinois beats the carp out of New Jersey. That's a pretty low bar.
    hawgrider and Slippy like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." - James Mattis Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I think she better plan on cutting tons and tons of firewood. Winter is a bitch in da U.P. She better buy a couple sleds too she will need them.

and then when winter is over She can welcome in the black flies LOL

Meatchicken sucks tell all your friends.
    I remember the Flies and the Mosquitoes in Northern Wisconsin (Up by the Michigan border) during the summer. Holy crap! You would think the brutal winters would kill em off, but no. Try using an Outhouse in the middle of summer on lake in the middle of the north forest. You have to fight your way past the flies, mosquitoes, and wasps.
    hawgrider and Inor like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I remember the Flies and the Mosquitoes in Northern Wisconsin (Up by the Michigan border) during the summer. Holy crap! You would think the brutal winters would kill em off, but no. Try using an Outhouse in the middle of summer on lake in the middle of the north forest. You have to fight your way past the flies, mosquitoes, and wasps.
    I've been up there when the black flies are so thick that your bluejeans are black. Oh not to mention plenty of wood ticks.

The upside is summers are cool near the big lakes.
    Prepared One and Inor like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links