I could use some support.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on I could use some support. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Next Monday I'll be going in for eye surgery. My eye doctor and the surgeon both relate that cataract surgery is quite "quick and easy." ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree60Likes

Thread: I could use some support.

Next Monday I'll be going in for eye surgery. My eye doctor and the surgeon both relate that cataract surgery is quite "quick and easy." I'm sure from their standpoint it is routine, after all, the scalpel isn't going into their eye.

Many times on this forum there have been members and their spouses that are going in for major medical procedures. And my surgery is going to take about 15 minutes, total. The problem that I face is that this isn't just setting a broken bone, but actually having to watch my own procedure. There won't be any calming meds or relaxation injections, just toughing it out.

The one thing I have learned is that any procedure of the eyes seems to spook people more than simple stitches in their leg. And truth be told, this biker has been shaking like a little girl trying to brace myself for next Monday.

Now, I'm not going to die, but I'm amazed at my lack of resolve. I would appreciate your prayers. Thank you.
    Slippy, RedLion, bigwheel and 5 others like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Super Moderator

I cant do eyes. Only thing that makes me squeamish. I hear its relatively simple though. Best of luck to you. Maybe when it's done ask the doc for an eye patch. Eye patches are tight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Slippy and bigwheel like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

@Sasquatch , as for an eye patch, I get a big ugly bandage for a week or two. You don't get the "pirate patch" until after some good solid healing.

As for the "eye squeamish" thoughts, it comes and goes for me. Sometimes I'm solid, other times I wake myself up in a panic. As for all these routine procedure assurances, none of the doctors' comments have really been comforting. And this "no pacification" thing is going to make it even worse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My wife had both eyes done a month apart. She came though it fine, but said it was a little wierd. She glad she did it.
    You will come though fine good sir

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    bigwheel likes this.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    Keep the faith, you will do fine.......

Smoke an extra-extra large joint before the procedure. That should help with your anxieties.
    Slippy, MI.oldguy and KUSA like this.

Tourist:

Over the past 40 years I have had four cornea transplants and a few years ago cataract surgery on both eyes. I can tell you for a fact there is no pain or any discomfort in having eye surgery. There is no risk. Cataract surgery takes three minutes.

However, with that having been said I do recall one exception. When I was about 30 I had my first cornea graft. It was an experimental surgery at that time. I was to be locked up in a research hospital in New Orleans for TEN days so I could be a guinea pig in their classroom for eye surgeons. Today they only keep you for an hour before sending you home. Anyway, as the anesthesia was wearing off I got up to go to the bathroom and stumped my toe on the foot of the steel bed I was In. I can still feel the pain!

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
    Last edited by jimcosta; 08-16-2019 at 09:26 AM.
    Denton likes this.

The Good Cop

Had both of mine done about 15 years ago.
    It's a piece of cake, and after a few weeks you will be amazed at hhow good you can see.
    All my life I was near sighted, and needed glasses. Since the lens implants, the only glasses I need are the cheap drug store reading glasses.

I went from 20/400 vision to 20/15 in my left eye and 20/20 in my right.

Do it. Don't worry, millions of people have done this. And don't worry - you won't see or feel a thing. They numb up the eye real good, and the lights shining in your eye blocks any vision.
    Denton and Ragnarök like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Thanks, guys, I needed some encouragement.

Considering our ages, my wife and I have never had any form of eye surgery. So far it's just been vision checks and glasses. When I had a slight tear in my retina, my eye doctor sealed it from the inside while I was out like a light. The use of his laser is what started the cataract. He told me I would need surgery in about two years, and he was dead on.

The stumbling block for me is that I will be wide awake for this procedure. I'm glad to know it will be simple, short and painless. I appreciate your support.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.

I’m serious about the joint. Years ago I had a steel sliver removed from my eye while overseas by a local eye doctor in Sri Lanka. I was wide awake and my head was placed in a frame to prevent movement. My eye was numbed up but I could see clearly the needle the doctor stuck into my eye to get the splinter. I felt no pain but I was seriously freaked out over the whole thing. The procedure was nothing. The anxiety and worry was everything. I feel your pain, brother.
    bigwheel likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links