Apartment Prepping?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Apartment Prepping?

This is a discussion on Apartment Prepping? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Any ideas on maximizing space in an apartment? My storage possibilities are far more limited, but I am thinking there has to be creative ways ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By paraquack
  • 1 Post By jimcosta
  • 1 Post By 1skrewsloose
  • 1 Post By 1skrewsloose
  • 2 Post By rice paddy daddy
  • 1 Post By Inor
  • 1 Post By Back Pack Hack

Thread: Apartment Prepping?

Apartment Prepping?

Any ideas on maximizing space in an apartment? My storage possibilities are far more limited, but I am thinking there has to be creative ways to store more food without the landlord raising issues.

Well, for starters there is alway under the bed. I know of a couple you put there bed up on blocks to enable them to store canned food and the like.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Consider a sturdy, free standing plastic utility shelving unit up against the wall.

Use plumber strapping or wire to anchor the top shelf to wall studs. This keeps kids from pulling it over.
    Hang a sheet over the front so people can't see what you have there.
    Where goods can be seen use colored containers or spray-paint the sides that show.
    If the floor is carpet then place the legs on some 1 X 4s to distribute the weight and not damage the carpet.

Storage is easier if you order cases of can goods. They stack better. You can also box up a week's supply of everything.

Your goal is to store food without anyone seeing it.

The landlord has no legal right to complain unless you move out without putting spackle in the wall screw holes.
    Last edited by jimcosta; 08-11-2019 at 08:49 PM.
    stowlin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Well, maybe I'm the paranoid type, but when I had few guns and things I wanted to stay away from prying eyes I made a false back in my walk-in closet. Could not figure out how to make it for daily use though. But just looking you'd think nothing was up.
    stowlin likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

As an aside, visit the new members area and let us know who you are.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    A wise man once said, "Never argue with an idiot, anyone watching will not know who is who".

The Good Cop

Our house is slightly less than 1,000 square feet. We maximize space by raising the beds, and as mentioned above, buy canned goods by the case when they are on sale. They stack well.
    You can also utilize the small amount of "dead space" behind living room chairs and couches.

Of course, we DO have an advantage of living on a small farm, with a barn, shop, several sheds, and a stable.
    Denton and stowlin like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

My prepping began in a 900’ condo in San Francisco and I also had a boat that was walking distance from the condo, and both became prepping centers with weight being a serious issue on the boat. The SF Bay Area and sea proximity also make moisture prevalent so oil up firearms well, seal goods or better yet buy goods that are sealed.

In the condo I removed everything from a window wall and built a bench seat from one end to the other about 12’ long and put a pad on top making it look like a window bench which it was. A false bottom stored ammo, metals, and even some firearms. The top was great for canned goods and you can imagine, 12’ x 14 inches out x 24 inches high HOLDS a lot of canned goods.

Quote Originally Posted by David357 View Post
    Any ideas on maximizing space in an apartment? My storage possibilities are far more limited, but I am thinking there has to be creative ways to store more food without the landlord raising issues.
    The best advice I can offer on "apartment prepping" is put every single penny you are saving paying rent vs paying a mortgage back in the bank and build up a down payment to get the hell out of the city!!! In case you have not seen the news recently, densely populated areas have become a roll of the dice on the death sentence. Go. Leave now. Cities SUCK!!!
    Marica likes this.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Take a good, hard, long look at the stuff you already have and ask yourself if it's that important you keep it. Yeah, having nice stuff is great and all, but if you can sell those golf clubs you haven't used in years, or that exercise bike that's been collecting dust, you'll free up a lot of space.

Clean out the bottom drawer of every dresser, the bathroom cabinet(s) and one of the kitchen cabinets. Incorporate food storage into your normal pantry. Get some plastic totes that are heavy enough to stack up in a closet, even to the ceiling if necessary. Heavy stuff on the bottom, and get lighter as you go up.

Can you add shelving in closets & the pantry to increase usable space? You may need to leave it if/when you leave, but it's a small investment. What about renting a small storage unit? It may not work for food, water and other perishables (heat in summer, freezing in winter), but you could stock a lot in one. What about a trusted family members' place?
    stowlin likes this.
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Thanks everyone for these responses. These are some great storage ideas I am going to try to implement. I live in a small town, but I would still like to get out somewhere out in a more rural area. I am not a hermit, nor am I anti-social, but at the same time, I need to away from town. I love the storage ideas about false walls and the shelving. I never thought about putting stuff under the bed. Seems so obvious to me, now! lol. I am going to save these responses and see what I can do.

Sponsored Links