Now up at SurvivalBlog

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Now up at SurvivalBlog

This is a discussion on Now up at SurvivalBlog within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Part 1 of my entry into the SurvivalBlog writing contest, in which I make the case for including crappy old books in your preps, is ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Marica
  • 1 Post By jimcosta
  • 1 Post By Marica

Thread: Now up at SurvivalBlog

Now up at SurvivalBlog

Part 1 of my entry into the SurvivalBlog writing contest, in which I make the case for including crappy old books in your preps, is now live at SurvivalBlog. Give it a read!

https://survivalblog.com/including-o...ica-bernstein/
    Slippy and RedLion like this.

@Marica, include a chapter on knife sharpening. The sad commentary is that all the macho guys who claim to know how to sharpen usually ruin the knife. They start haphazardly removing perfectly good steel until they get an edge by accident. When I polish an edge there are no metal chips on the floor or on my rag. In fact, the only thing on the rag is a few "dirty marks." This is why the knives our grandfathers owned are still with us, they knew how to sharpen and save the knife.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Superbly written Marica. It was easy to read and most entertaining to walk the road you were walking down. I look forward to the next installment. Please keep me posted.

As a book lover myself I feel what you are saying. My only problem is my wife though. Once a year she makes me cull out books to match the ones I purchased that year. Oh well, at least I got to play with them.

Our Fall Back Group pulled a lot of free books from the School board, in particular several copies of various Literature books. Our concern is boredom and morale if we activate. With several copies we can have book discussions. This should be a great way to fend off depression - discussing other people, times and problems. Books also will allow us all to attend school during the idleness. And as you so well pointed out, all this can be had for almost no cost!
    Last edited by jimcosta; 07-23-2019 at 10:04 AM.
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimcosta View Post
    Superbly written Marica. It was easy to read and most entertaining to walk the road you were walking down. I look forward to the next installment. Please keep me posted.

As a book lover myself I feel what you are saying. My only problem is my wife though. Once a year she makes me cull out books to match the ones I purchased that year. Oh well, at least I got to play with them.

Our Fall Back Group pulled a lot of free books from the School board, in particular several copies of various Literature books. Our concern is boredom and morale if we activate. With several copies we can have book discussions. This should be a great way to fend off depression - discussing other people, times and problems. Books also will allow us all to attend school during the idleness. And as you so well pointed out, all this can be had for almost no cost!
    Thank you! Glad you are enjoying it.

I am sorry about your situation, though. Fortunately, my husband is also a book lover, though his thing is cookbooks.

For your group, you might look for multiple copies of some of those 60s-ish great book clubs. I see them almost everywhere. Some even have study and discussion starter questions.
    jimcosta likes this.

Sponsored Links