Another reason you should always carry a firearm.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Another reason you should always carry a firearm. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Many of you know I went to Yosemite this past week and I will regale you with all the details of that in another thread. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Another reason you should always carry a firearm.

Super Moderator

Many of you know I went to Yosemite this past week and I will regale you with all the details of that in another thread. This, however, is about something that happened on the way home.

During my trip I was carrying my CCW firearm which is a S&W M&P 9. As we returned home from Yosemite we stopped in a little fart of a town just outside of Bakersfield. This wasn't even really a town. Just a Shell gas station off the highway that had a mini mart and a roach coach outside. I was gassing up the motorhome and Hot Nursey decided to use the restroom. She took her 7 year old daughter with her. As I put the gas in I noticed a sheriff SUV parked next to the mini mart but I didn't think much of it. Then I hear the sirens. Another sheriff SUV roars up and stops behind the first SUV and a fat cop gets out and runs in. I'm thinking WTF is going on? So I start walking toward the building to check on Hot Nursey and her daughter. I get about 5 feet from the door and it suddenly bursts open. A scrawny, disheveled black kid wearing nothing but basketball shorts runs out with taser wires stuck in him and dragging the gun. A second later the officer comes falling out of the door and crashes into the trash can outside falling to the ground. As all of this unfolds before me I lift my shirt and place my hand on my sidearm in the ready position. Of course I turned my body so the cop wouldn't see and think I was a threat. Then another officer comes crashing through the door and they both start running after the perp as he runs toward a field. I run inside, with hand still on firearm, to find Hot Nursey and her daughter safe and sound on the opposite side of the store from where the incident took place. I ask if they are okay and they give me the thumbs up. I go back outside and look toward the pursuit only to see the fat cop coming back to get his car and the other cop still chasing the perp on foot.

Turns out this guy is one of California's fine homeless who is mentally ill and on drugs. He goes into this mini mart regularly and eats food off the shelf and then runs out without paying. This was told to use later by one of the cashiers.

Luckily this all turned out well for us but you never know when a dangerous situation can rear its ugly head.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Take a left by where that oak tree used to be
    I’m glad you all are ok, I’m sure you had your share of adrenaline to deal with, sounds like you handled it well, I assume the rest of your trip was relatively quiet......
    Sasquatch likes this.

I live in a fairly good part of a suburban city outside of Houston, in one of the higher end neighborhoods, and every time I get on the Harris County Sheriffs dept's website to look at crimes posted in and around my neighborhood, I am quickly reminded that there is no safe place. Now, I have lived in some really bad areas in my day, but you would think I have not bettered my position judging by the sheriffs website. I might as well be in the hood. Always, always, have a weapon within reach.
    Last edited by Prepared One; 07-23-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    Sasquatch and dwight55 like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Good on you for being prepared Sasq!
    Sasquatch likes this.

I didn't hear anything to get excited about. I agree, though, it is a good idea to always have a gun!!

Nursey was packen also?? At least a knife and pepper spray.
    Sasquatch likes this.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Glad it worked out and everyone is safe.

As they say, better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one. You just never know even in what seems to be small and peaceful places.
    Sasquatch likes this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

I thought I lived in a safe place, myself. A few days ago our entry door alarm went off, as we have ADT for the entire home. I went out to check and the door was eight inches open. My wife called the local police, and we were told that teenagers had already stolen two cars in our area, and another two across the highway in another subdivision.

This is why I harp so much on millennials on their children and the poor education they got. We have two ADT signs, one in the front of the house and one in the back. There's a decal on the entry door that states clearly the door is wired for the alarm--and the idiot set it off anyway.
    Sasquatch likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Of course, the left will claim, "See?!?! You didn't need a gun! The cops saved everyone!!!!"
    Sasquatch likes this.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

The Good Cop

The unexpected can always happen even in the proverbial "middle of nowhere."

Besides being armed, situational awareness is a good skill to develop. Luckily, my training and experience honed mine very well. Still have it today.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links