Who's getting ready for TS / Hurricane Barry?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Who's getting ready for TS / Hurricane Barry? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I did pretty much everything I needed to do yesterday. Just some odds and ends remain. Ran the generator for about 15 minutes this morning. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Who's getting ready for TS / Hurricane Barry?

I did pretty much everything I needed to do yesterday. Just some odds and ends remain. Ran the generator for about 15 minutes this morning. I'm looking at all of my weather-related stuff and I'm not expecting anything too terrible where we are in Mississippi. We are on the wet side, though, so rain and potential power outages. Garden will take a beating.

The Hype on this is going to be epic-- you can see it coming a mile away!

What are all y'all doing?
    Denton and Slippy like this.

Super Moderator

I'm sitting here waiting for "the big one" to hit (earthquake). Weve been due for awhile. So I dont have to worry about hurricanes.

But I do wish you all well who live in the area. Good luck and stay safe!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Denton and Marica like this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

The Good Cop

It reminded us that hurricane season is here, so I'm off today to fill any empty propane bottles (we run our kitchen stove off them), fill the 5 gal diesel cans, and get 20 gallons of non ethanol for the generator. Chainsaw mix is adequate.
    Standard pre-season preps.

I have lived on Florida's East Coast all my life, and all this is normal. The only time to get excited is for the big ones, like Andrew or Irma.
    Anything over a High- Cat One and we will leave, although where we live now historically has a very low probability of impact. Which is one reason we moved here.
    Marica and bigwheel like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I stay ready and did all my preliminary hurricane checks a couple of months ago. I am pretty much in the clear on this one it looks like.
    Piratesailor likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I stay ready and did all my preliminary hurricane checks a couple of months ago. I am pretty much in the clear on this one it looks like.
    This is exactly what people don't get. If you're prepared, and habitually get ready for the weather season ahead of time, preparing for an event is not that big a deal. I make it a point to do all of the laundry several days out! Mostly everything else is checking things off. I'm so far gone (I hope) that I just finished moving a DVD player into the Bunk House-- a separate but connected structure that's only 1000 ft. square but has everything we need AND has a window unit A/C so IF we loose power, we'll be comfortable & entertained. We'll probably position the generator on the covered patio connecting the Big House with the Bunk House tomorrow evening.

I have noticed that "they" are subtly moving the various wind/rain cones eastward.
    Slippy and Prepared One like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    This is exactly what people don't get. If you're prepared, and habitually get ready for the weather season ahead of time, preparing for an event is not that big a deal. I make it a point to do all of the laundry several days out! Mostly everything else is checking things off. I'm so far gone (I hope) that I just finished moving a DVD player into the Bunk House-- a separate but connected structure that's only 1000 ft. square but has everything we need AND has a window unit A/C so IF we loose power, we'll be comfortable & entertained. We'll probably position the generator on the covered patio connecting the Big House with the Bunk House tomorrow evening.

I have noticed that "they" are subtly moving the various wind/rain cones eastward.
    I purchased a couple of portable AC units to keep the downstairs main room cool after a storm. Nothing like no AC after a storm hits and there is no power. Think Mosquitoes, heat, and unbearable humidity. Been there, done that. One of my generators will run the whole house except the central ac units. Water, food, gas, propane, etc. is already well covered. When Harvey came in all I had to do was pick up some beer and milk on my way back in town before it hit. I just cracked a cold beer and watched it rain like hell.
    hawgrider likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

It's good that it's not, full or new Moon phase, the storm surge could be a few feet higher.

On that thought, is the storm supposed to make landfall at high or low tide?

Texted some buddies in Metro New Orleans yesterday and they all said the City of New Orleans is in for a major flood event. 2 of the cities main pumps are already out and (due to lax democrap management) many believe the pumps cannot handle the sustained assault of water that this Hurricane/TS will bring.

Today, the push of water from the Gulf Of Mexico will push Lake Pontchartrain North/West.

You don't hear it much on the news but Baton Rouge, the capital of Louisiana, has been saturated for the better part of this year due to the Mississippi River bulging from the northern midwest snows this winter and heavier than normal spring and summer rains have "Red Stick" in for some more flooding.

The slower the storm, the worse it will be. The Conservative Sportsmen and Women in Southeast Louisiana will be fine, they know their eco-system and many are prepared beyond belief. They will be OK.

The nasty ass street urchins that you see in downtown New Orleans are screwed. The democrat teat sucking natives will make for some good TV when the media begins to blame Trump...

Settle in with a genuine Chicory Coffee and Biegnet and watch this shit storm of sewer coffee brew over the next few days...

PS; If the storm lands directly over New Orleans The Mississippi Gulf Coast may take the brunt of wind and water so watch the area from Biloxi to New Orleans ..
    Last edited by Slippy; 07-12-2019 at 05:58 AM.
    Prepared One likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Texted some buddies in Metro New Orleans yesterday and they all said the City of New Orleans is in for a major flood event. 2 of the cities main pumps are already out and (due to lax democrap management) many believe the pumps cannot handle the sustained assault of water that this Hurricane/TS will bring.

Today, the push of water from the Gulf Of Mexico will push Lake Pontchartrain North/West.

You don't hear it much on the news but Baton Rouge, the capital of Louisiana, has been saturated for the better part of this year due to the Mississippi River bulging from the northern midwest snows this winter and heavier than normal spring and summer rains have "Red Stick" in for some more flooding.

The slower the storm, the worse it will be. The Conservative Sportsmen and Women in Southeast Louisiana will be fine, they know their eco-system and many are prepared beyond belief. They will be OK.

The nasty ass street urchins that you see in downtown New Orleans are screwed. The democrat teat sucking natives will make for some good TV when the media begins to blame Trump...

Settle in with a genuine Chicory Coffee and Biegnet and watch this shit storm of sewer coffee brew over the next few days...
    Pumps are half measures at best my friend. I don't care how many millions of gallons of water you can pump, during a major rain event, there is no where for the water to go. Your just mixing the bowl. Particularly in New Orleans.

I am familiar with the Pumps installed in New Orleans. They pump so much water, so fast, that after they are installed, typically there is no way to test them. You can't feed them enough water to run test pump and system check. We can run diagnostics and CFD's but in the end a field test isn't going to happen. We have the same issues here in Houston. You also have other factors, such as were they designed correctly, installed correctly, maintained correctly. Do they have the correct controls and were they maintained correctly? Assuming they all work (they won't) there is still no place to pump the water.
    Slippy likes this.

The flooding is picking up in Southeastern LA with slow moving Hurricane Barry. It looks like the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain is flooding pretty bad as the winds are pushing the waters northward from the Gulf Of Mexico. Some wind damage but mainly water situations. Looks like Baton Rouge LA will be taking some water soon as the ground is already saturated.

So far most of New Orleans is OK but as the rainfall continues and the winds shift, we may see some flooding of huge proportions.

Stay safe everyone in that part of the country!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links