Is a Bunker Reasonable? - Page 2

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is a Bunker Reasonable?

This is a discussion on Is a Bunker Reasonable? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; You asked an interesting variant on the question. Are they "reasonable". That would imply that a reason justifies them. For that, only you can truly ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Is a Bunker Reasonable?

You asked an interesting variant on the question.
    Are they "reasonable".

That would imply that a reason justifies them. For that, only you can truly answer it. What reason would be sufficient for you that would compel the necessity of a bunker?
    A little game to play...
    Sit down with your GF, and each of you list out all of the possible threats to your area that you can. Random order, stream of consciousness.
    Then, looking over the whole list, identify the one you both agree is the most likely to occur. Put a #1 next to it.
    Keep going through the list, identifying the next most likely.

Once you've reached the top 5, take a breather. Then ask each other, "Does a bunker help to resolve any/most/all of these threats?"
    If the response is not a unanimous "yes", it likely isn't "reasonable" for you to devote the resources and time to building a bunker.

Are they fun? Sure.
    Are they "cool"? Yep.
    Are they practical? Not really.
    But reasonable? Hmmm.... maybe.
    Prepared One likes this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Think I would plan on a Bug Out vehicle first. Once you have that all straight and have left over cash maybe a bunker to park it in.

Personally, I think bunkers are just very expensive, well-stocked coffins.
    A Watchman likes this.
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Thank of all you guys for the input. I honestly didn't think I'd get this much response. All of you have very interesting points that I will take into consideration!

Quote Originally Posted by mastermclaster View Post
    So one of the first things I planned out while delving into prepping was a bunker. What do you guys think?
    As mentioned, if you have a basement (assuming you have a concrete floor) you're already ahead of the game.

When it came to my home, when we moved in we found a "little all cement room" off the lower finished level, and tucked away so that no one would guess where it is. We tell everyone that it's a "tornado shelter." But knowing the builder--and the rabid amount of concrete he used--my guess is that he had other intentions in mind.

Here's my point. If you have a concrete floor in your lower level, buy some pizza and few beers and have your friends help you build a "two-ply" cement basement brick room. Get a good solid door, and a couple of Number 15 Master Padlocks to secure the enclosure--my dad invented that lock when he worked for The Master Padlock company. I would nail up a few layers of something overhead to keep debris from falling in on you in case the house was in fact hit by a major storm.

Next step, clean water, canned goods, a dry ammo box full of nasty surprises and a First Aid Kit.

...oh, and you'll need a few good knives. Contact a blade-head in your area, and ask about "survival knives." He'll know what to provide...

Edit: BTW, below is a good knife for survival. It's cheap to obtain, stronger than necessary, and it comes apart without tools for rinsing out gravy. I carry it, and as a knife salesman I can buy anything.

Last edited by The Tourist; 07-03-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Super Moderator

It'd be reasonable in the event of a nuclear holocaust. Very reasonable. I'm looking to do the same with a section of the basement here. I don't have a ton of money to throw at the project, but I'm a big believer in something is better than nothing and I'll do what's feasible.

Good luck to you.
    jimb1972 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    You asked an interesting variant on the question.
    Are they "reasonable".

That would imply that a reason justifies them. For that, only you can truly answer it. What reason would be sufficient for you that would compel the necessity of a bunker?
    A little game to play...
    Sit down with your GF, and each of you list out all of the possible threats to your area that you can. Random order, stream of consciousness.
    Then, looking over the whole list, identify the one you both agree is the most likely to occur. Put a #1 next to it.
    Keep going through the list, identifying the next most likely.

Once you've reached the top 5, take a breather. Then ask each other, "Does a bunker help to resolve any/most/all of these threats?"
    If the response is not a unanimous "yes", it likely isn't "reasonable" for you to devote the resources and time to building a bunker.

Are they fun? Sure.
    Are they "cool"? Yep.
    Are they practical? Not really.
    But reasonable? Hmmm.... maybe.
    You know what @Kauboy ? You take all the damn fun out of watching people make stupid silly mistakes by interjecting reason into the mix.
    Slippy, Kauboy and Chiefster23 like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Bunker is a big term . A storm storm shelter can be a bunker. It makes sense if you can to have a Storm shelter that can stand up to the worst weather you get. The key to making any prep worth while is getting use from it weather SHTF or not. To build a bunker in case SHTF might be foolish. But if that same structure fills other needs it may not be so foolish.
    Annie, tuffy_chick_13 and Slippy like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Smitty, my "storm shelter" is tiny and over-built. The only thing it lacks is a bullet-proof door. Yes, it could have been designed and built by the home-builder (who originally intended to keep the house) and he might have been afraid of tornadoes. As you know, Madison is on the tail-end of 'tornado alley.'

But it seems like a lot of work to begin when that entire lower level had not been started as a second, fully functional living area. The walls hadn't even been painted and the guy builds a shelter? It made me wonder.

Further, the ceiling of this room is actually the stoop of my front entry door. It's like two feet of concrete. A bit much for thunderstorm protection.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

The Salinas valley is pretty but if your moving why consider a bunker now or are you thinking about where you are moving too. Look at mountain / hillside real estate and get some land instead,
    Slippy likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links