Yo Ho ho and a bottle of Rum
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Yo Ho ho and a bottle of Rum within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Ok, So I have this thing were I like to try to figure out the Genesis of things words and sayings. I will tell you ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Yo Ho ho and a bottle of Rum

Ok, So I have this thing were I like to try to figure out the Genesis of things words and sayings.

I will tell you what it is and Why I think its that way, then you all can tell me how wrong or right you think I am.

First exhibit is the cord wrapped bottles of old.

Yo Ho ho and a bottle of Rum-rope-wrapped-bottles.jpg

Now the popular theory out there is that the ropes protects the thin glass or clay from breaking, but I have a different theory.

I learned during WW Desert Storm how hot a bottle of water would get out in the desert...and then I learned that wrapping it in wool sock and wetting the sock, actually cooled the water in the bottle, through the process of convextion cooling, by heat transferring to the water soaked cord and then as it evaporates it causes cooling. Much like sweat does with the human body.

So I believe, that although it may protect the bottle from damage, its primary purpose is to be wetted and through evaporation serves to lower the temperature of the drink inside, making for a cool glass of wine or rum.

Thoughts?

OSFG
    RedLion, Denton, bigwheel and 1 others like this.

I think that you are correct. I certainly learned the wet sock over a bottle of water in Desert Storm as well.
    Denton and bigwheel like this.

I'll buy that theory.

It works on people too. When working in hot sun, I dunk my head and soak my hair, and soak my shirt/t-shirt. Remember the old westerns where the cowboys would pour some water in their hat? Cools you off and keeps you from getting dehydrated as you sweat less. This assumes you have plenty of water to drink too.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I suspect your theory to be correct. However, before I can make any statement that could be considered conclusive, I should probably imbibe said rum as I contemplate and assess the validity of your theory in more detail.
    Slippy likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Ok, So I have this thing were I like to try to figure out the Genesis of things words and sayings.

I will tell you what it is and Why I think its that way, then you all can tell me how wrong or right you think I am.

First exhibit is the cord wrapped bottles of old.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rope wrapped bottles.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	98803

Now the popular theory out there is that the ropes protects the thin glass or clay from breaking, but I have a different theory.

I learned during WW Desert Storm how hot a bottle of water would get out in the desert...and then I learned that wrapping it in wool sock and wetting the sock, actually cooled the water in the bottle, through the process of convextion cooling, by heat transferring to the water soaked cord and then as it evaporates it causes cooling. Much like sweat does with the human body.

So I believe, that although it may protect the bottle from damage, its primary purpose is to be wetted and through evaporation serves to lower the temperature of the drink inside, making for a cool glass of wine or rum.

Thoughts?

OSFG
    Another use for wrapping a bottle could be for protecting the contents from light. Wine and beer will skunk if in the sunlight right?
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

I doubt it. I personally would not want my Kraken chilled at all.
    Slippy and Denton like this.

Sounds logical to us old graduates of phyics 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post

Thoughts?

OSFG
    Great idea!

But now can you give me some advice on how to calm Mrs Inor down? She is all pissed at me now for taking all of her socks to cover the case of beer I have in the garage.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Rest in Peace Sgt Mackie. 10/19/19

Quote Originally Posted by Inor View Post
    Great idea!

But now can you give me some advice on how to calm Mrs Inor down? She is all pissed at me now for taking all of her socks to cover the case of beer I have in the garage.
    Didn't you already build her a She-Shack?
    Inor, Denton, Prepared One and 1 others like this.

South of the Red River and North of the Rio Grande
    Your probably right and it sounds reasonable.

But..

Where is the damn rum? You said RUM..
    Slippy likes this.
    "Erosion of our rights just takes a few good men doing nothing"
    Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links