Protection your house and privisions from rats/mice
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Protection your house and privisions from rats/mice within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; So, the other day it was posted in the forum that Los Angeles had a bad problem with rats, then I saw some reports on ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Protection your house and privisions from rats/mice

So, the other day it was posted in the forum that Los Angeles had a bad problem with rats, then I saw some reports on New York having problems too. Today I saw this https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/935398...-pest-control/
    It looks like not even the Queen is safe from pests.
    So my question is, what do you do to keep pests away (more specifically rodents) from your house and your provisions? Do you stock on rat poison? Use traps? How bad is it the mice problem in your area?
    My city has pest control, they regularly spray poison for rats and cockroaches in the whole culvert system. I have a cat and she sometimes catches a small rat, mostly in the garden. We do not have many issues with rats, but if the city stopped with the poison, I am pretty sure rats would spread real quick here too.
    Annie and OrneryOldBat like this.

Hey. Great topic. We used to live on the Coast at Corpus Christi and there are more rats than people..guess because of all the ships. Anyway we live up in N.Texas now and we do have some but not as many. We take a varied apporach to keep em under control. Poison..shooting them with my adult pellet gun...and have three cats which can catch one sometimes. All kinds of cool home made rat traps on Alfgores internet. Usually involving something to dunk them in a bucket of water. My grandpa made one back when I was a kid with a trap door lid. worked well.
    https://stoppestinfo.com/50-homemade-rat-trap.html
    OrneryOldBat likes this.

Spinning bottle , into 5-gal bucket mouse/rat trap. Bait w/peanut butter a ramp so they can get to bait.

Put one upstairs and basement of house. all out buildings. Check them fermented vermin stink.

I take 40-70 from my barns each fall. 1-4 in my basement. Keep them 24/7.

Mice/Rats carry fleas/plauge
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mad Trapper; 06-23-2019 at 09:02 PM.
    Denton and bigwheel like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

We have a couple of Rodent Poison Bait Traps under the front and rear porches and they work pretty well. Usually in the winter I'll put a couple of Sticky Traps in the basement as well as the 5 gallon bucket trick with a spinning bottle and I'll catch a couple. We also have a Yorkshire Terrier that catches a few mice every year.

2 Redtail Hawks and at least 1 Owl live nearby and I suspect they do a pretty good job of mice control.

Been wanting a couple of barn cats to assist, maybe this fall.
    bigwheel likes this.

I used one of these Bucket and peanut butter things. Nothing was caught. But, It was to prove a point to the family they were no hearing rats/mice in attic. It was squirrels on roof. They do work, really do.
    This does work , having 4 cats inside and one outside, I have not had one rat in our yard or in the house in 8 years.
    There were rats in attic when I bought it.. Cleared them, and cut trees away from house and cats..
    Also, weird one, but if you dont want cats, invite Opossums into your area. They love bones, chicken type, cat food etc.. They kill snakes, rodents, moles and grubs too.
    bigwheel likes this.

Living back in the woods it's a constant battle. Don't think for a minute that you've got them all and stop trapping/killing the little bastards. We leave poison out year round in the sheds, shop and traps in the house.

Don't waste your time with moth balls they don't work. Storing vehicles for more then a week, open the hood if stored inside. Keeps them from nesting in the engine compartment and destroying things. Move the trash away from any dwellings. Having the garbage can right outside the back door might be convenient but attracts the unwanted.
    bigwheel likes this.

Every several months I put out traps to catch the few rats I see. They don't seem prevalent in this area but every now and again they will get up under my back deck. I know they are out there. this is Houston after all. I keep traps and poison on hand.
    bigwheel likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I had a nasty problem with mice in my work shop, . . .

They "nested" in every drawer, . . . urinated on everything . . . droppings were all over, . . . and at times, the odor was overpowering.

Saw a thing on I think, Facebook, that Irish Spring soap would keep em out. Bought a case of it, . . . cut up about 6 bars into 4 pieces each, . . . tossed em here and there in the shop.

Voila, . . . ZERO MICE, . . . ZERO RATS for the last 4 or 5 months.

Yes, . . . I am thrilled with the results.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    bigwheel and Annie like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

One more thing about mice, they harbor more deer ticks than deer do.

For outside, soak cotton balls in permethrin and put them in empty TP rolls. The mice take the cotton for nests and the permethrin kills the tciks.

Lyme disease and other tick pathogens are no fun
    OrneryOldBat likes this.

@Yavanna, fortunately I live in a community where the city takes steps to curb rodents. Except for squirrels, I have seen only one rodent in my neighborhood in 20 years. On the brighter side, while this is a suburban community, we often see deer walk through our streets and in our yards.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links