People Quitting or Slacking off..... - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

People Quitting or Slacking off.....

This is a discussion on People Quitting or Slacking off..... within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I prepare based on history and current events more then who is president. We dodged a bullet with Trump over the Beast but I always ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: People Quitting or Slacking off.....

I prepare based on history and current events more then who is president. We dodged a bullet with Trump over the Beast but I always considered him a stop gap measure at best, at worst.............

Trump isn't going to fix what's wrong with this country or mitigate world threats 100%, if at all. So, I prepare based on what I see in the world as whole. I am more motivated by some world events then others and priorities will change accordingly, but always, I am steadily trying to improve my advantage.

For the record, I have been very engaged in adding to my survival capabilities lately.
    Annie and Slippy like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Slacking off? Not here, no sir. I'm obsessed with it. Not full on panic mode, I'm just keeping up doing a little at a time week by week, pay check to paycheck. Knowledge is free thanks to the interwebs.

Reflections. Years ago I was very active with another prepping group. Really into it. Then we bought the Farm and got busy. Then I had a question and found this site and realized I had sort of slacked off, but not really because, after all, we have a farm, but yeah, I have.

For me-- us, b/c John is involved in different aspects of prepping like getting to zero debt (almost, just one more chunk)-- there are three overlapping prepping states of mind. The first is lifestyle-- having a garden and deep freezers, putting up sausage, having a store of water, never running out of TP or gas in the generator tanks. These are just part of the fabric of how we conduct ourselves on a day-to-day basis. On these sorts of things, I wig out when I see we haven't replaced a can of chick peas in the pantry, but fix it next time we're at the store.

The second I'd call short-term deliberate. The twice a year check of supplies in the tornado / laundry room; Reassessing power outage provisions based on newer technologies; Servicing chain saws and tillers. Seasonal maintenance sorts of things. I once spent half a day taking an inventory of the batteries needed in all of the flashlights, lanterns, etc., and comparing it to my on-hand supply of batteries. (Turns out I needed a lot more C than I thought.) I'd put walking down to the range and practicing in this category.

Then there're long-term deliberate preps. Planting fruit trees, perennial veggies and such we've done, but this is where we fall down. For example, we've got a 250 gallon rain barrel, but nothing to filter it with. We don't have a whole house generator. We've got a structure that's 100' long (E-W) with a 30* pitch roof aimed perfectly south. Does it have solar panels on it? No. Somewhere on the property there's a well. Do I know where? No.

Augh. That was depressing.
    shooter, jimcosta and Slippy like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

With Regard to G&A, I stocked it deep when I was sure of a HRC win ... all good there. As for the other goodies, I buy on the drop and love to see demand slacking. Win!

A lot of folks stocked up during the muslime regime.
    When our great President was elected, they relaxed some as they saw no panic on the horizon.
    Not a good plan IMO, as we should never relax-- bad times are coming-- yes they are--
    Slippy likes this.

@shooter has a great idea regarding stocking up on hardware items; nails, screws, other fasteners, plywood, treated lumber, rebar, fencing etc.

I've got a little bit of a lot of things in my "Bone-Yard" but it wouldn't hurt to have more. I certainly wish I had some Antique Tools that don't require electricity like Hand Drills etc.

That's what I may focus on next...

Not quitting or backing off. More in a normal way of life mode now more than ever.
    Marica likes this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I'll be 75 come November, . . . my wife 70, . . .

Health is fair to good for both of us.

I'm not bugging out, . . . regardless of just about anything that can happen. Got my stuff here, . . . to old to run, . . . just have to fight.

My son and his wife will join us here if they can get here, . . . a great young couple lives next door, . . . we'll invite them and their young daughter in. She's a nurse, . . . son and DIL are both nurse practitioners.

Got enough food for 7 of us for close to a year if we have to go there (considering we will augment with hunting / trapping / finding / growing, . . . etc.)

Anything that stretches beyond a year with no "normal" brought back . . . probably won't survive that anyway, . . . so that's where we are.

Sometimes you just have to play the hand you are dealt, . . . this is mine.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Marica and Chiefster23 like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

With the economy so strong the last few years the number of hours I work has gone way up so I don't have as much time to work on our preps.

We've already met our prep stuff (food ect.) goals but with so little free time we don't put much time in learning new skills because we have so little free time after the longer work hours and maintaining our current preps. Some preps take a lot of time to maintain, chickens, bees, garden, ect.

I guess you could say we're "prepped out" with little time to expand our preps or develop new skills. Developing new skills often means buying supplies for those new skills, something we just don't have the time for now days.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    @shooter has a great idea regarding stocking up on hardware items; nails, screws, other fasteners, plywood, treated lumber, rebar, fencing etc.

I've got a little bit of a lot of things in my "Bone-Yard" but it wouldn't hurt to have more. I certainly wish I had some Antique Tools that don't require electricity like Hand Drills etc.

That's what I may focus on next...
    From The Department of Redundancy Department, for tool / appliance that you regularly use that runs on juice, have the crappy old hand-cranked version.
    Slippy likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links