What's THE most important place to start as a prepper?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on What's THE most important place to start as a prepper? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; If someone were to ask where to begin with regard to preparedness, what would you say they should start with? Water's probably the most important....but ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What's THE most important place to start as a prepper?

Super Moderator

If someone were to ask where to begin with regard to preparedness, what would you say they should start with? Water's probably the most important....but after that? A BOB? Food? Guns? First Aid? Sanitation? Medications? Getting a support group together? There's so much to do. It's daunting. I'm over three years into it (preparedness) now. It's on my mind every day, every shopping trip, every time I'm on the internet trying to educate myself. And I still feel there's so much to do. In part, because I'm planning for different scenarios, not just one. Where would you advise someone to start?

ETA: I know we have the sticky thread up about this topic at the top, but it's not exhaustive, imo....I'm just hoping for new ideas here.
    Last edited by Annie; 06-14-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

Security would be an easy answer. If you have no protection anyone will take what little you have including your life. But what context is prepping be used ? Short term disruption, storms, power outage ect . Then simple 3-7 days food and water.
    A way to stay warm if needed. In most case that is plenty , from there you can build on it.
    Most important thing is do not let it over whelm you. In most case life goes on, emergence end and life is restored to about normal soon. Live as if SHTF will never come but plan as if it is on the way. If you live for SHTF you get burnt out fast.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

you have to educate yourself - if you start stocking without fully knowing the ins & outs you'll land up wasting time & $$$$$ - possibly damaging your prepper start entirely ...
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

My wife and I have the "security" covered, in fact, probably over-covered. We spent the one week ago just outfitting our single BOB for immediate evacuation.

"Portable" food will be next, we have the house supply covered. I'd like to see another layer of burglar alarms, especially on the lower level. But all the rooms are covered, just not as dense as I'd like.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

OPSEC, whatever you do-- keep it to yourself--

There is no such thing as 'one-size-fits-all' prepping. Someone in Kansas doesn't need to prep for hurricanes, and someone in Florida doesn't need to worry about getting snowed in.

There are some basic preps that will cover every possible scenario... water, food, shelter, security etc. But once you get down that road, the map will take you several different directions. It's up to you which route you want to take.
    Whoever said, "Life is short" didn't understand it's the longest thing you're ever going to do.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

“Start at the very beginning a very good place to start.”

I would start with a primitive camping trip...A primitive camping trip will teach the person you care about how important key resources and knowledge are.
    Steve40th likes this.
    “What could I say to you that would be of value, except that perhaps you seek too much, that as a result of your seeking you cannot find.”
    ― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Build around a good shooting iron.

Look backward.

Start with where you failed when the lights went out.

What could you have done better? Fix those things now.

Be redundant.

The first 72 (hrs) are on you.

Change your attitude.

What if?
    Last edited by Marica; 06-14-2019 at 07:29 PM.
    Annie likes this.

Most importantly and it's free is getting yourself into that prepper mind set or attitude. Otherwise it's all a waste of time.

Next will be water, food, shelter and security. Space it out cause it's best to have a little of everything instead of a lot of just one thing. Keep it simple.
    jimcosta and Real Old Man like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links