What's THE most important place to start as a prepper? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

What's THE most important place to start as a prepper?

This is a discussion on What's THE most important place to start as a prepper? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack I hope you realize that as soon as they see it, they will be turning into wild, maniacal slashers ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: What's THE most important place to start as a prepper?

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    I hope you realize that as soon as they see it, they will be turning into wild, maniacal slashers hell-bent on killing as many people as they can.
    I polished that Monashee and sent it to Annie. She really uses her knives, in fact, one time she used a Barge to cut meat.

If that's the case, she needs a knife for slicing vegetables and get stuff ready for canning. So I checked that polished edge, made sure it was holding, and dropped it in the mail to her.

I like Annie, she speaks to my better angels. She always has a kind word for the members here, and just makes me smile.

I hope Annie wears that Monashee down to a nub--happily slicing veggies and dreaming of shelf-upon-shelf of delicious winter dinners...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

I think 1st they need to ask themselves what they are prepping for. Is it a short term thing, a long term thing? Take California for example, many people are prepping for fires or earthquakes. With what we have seen in the last few years if its fire, have a bug out bag at the door or near it with all your insurance docs and stuff like that and some money and cloths. As you may have less then 5 minutes to escape. Then you should have several places within 60 miles where you could stay until the fires are dealt with and set up so that those place have food an water. If its an earthquake you want food, water ways to cook it and possible a way to defend yourself. But also have a plan in case you need to bug out due to damage to your house, fire, or other unforeseen events as a result of the earthquake. Both of these are short term examples. But starting with a short term emergency, lets you build your preps without being overwhelmed. And many if not all of those preps will translate to a long term emergency. Some types of emergencies require a bug out others you might be better off staying put. But the person who is starting to prep should research why they are prepping and see what people who have been in similar situations had or found they needed. However one can not go to far wrong with a good 1st aid kit, water, food, and a bug out bag. Then adjust your preps based on your situation and what you feel are things important to you and your family.
    Last edited by shooter; 06-21-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    Irish Diplomacy:
    The ability to tell a man to go to hell and have him looking forward to the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    ........... Then you should have several places within 60 miles where you could stay........and hope that those place have food an water..........
    Your BOB should have that on board. No way should you rely on your destination to provide you with 2 of the most essential 3 items necessary for life.
    Keep calm and try setting SCE to AUX.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

One thing we don't talk about as much as we should is "breakage." You might have all the neat, modern toys, but in the evacuation you're going to lose, drop and damage a lot of stuff.

I always look at the fasteners on my truck, my knives, my guns and my any food related preparation objects. If your tool box is all 9/16s and 1/2 sized wrenches--but your new purchases are metric or Whitworth--you cannot fix anything.

Take waterstones and/or whetstones even if you're a rookie. Hard use dulls tools.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    One thing we don't talk about as much as we should is "breakage." You might have all the neat, modern toys, but in the evacuation you're going to lose, drop and damage a lot of stuff.

I always look at the fasteners on my truck, my knives, my guns and my any food related preparation objects. If your tool box is all 9/16s and 1/2 sized wrenches--but your new purchases are metric or Whitworth--you cannot fix anything.

Take waterstones and/or whetstones even if you're a rookie. Hard use dulls tools.
    Probably sacrilege to you, but I use a nice file to sharpen things like axes, lawn mower blades, and machetes. No you can't shave with it but it will put a quick dirty edge on tools with little effort.
    "A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- The wise words of Benjamin Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Your BOB should have that on board. No way should you rely on your destination to provide you with 2 of the most essential 3 items necessary for life.
    Yes you should but in dire circumstances you may have to ditch your bob. so you should have plans for food and water at what ever locations you are bugging out to. I mis-wrote and said hope I ment store.
    Irish Diplomacy:
    The ability to tell a man to go to hell and have him looking forward to the trip.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links