Is prepping a cultish activity? - Page 6
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is prepping a cultish activity?

This is a discussion on Is prepping a cultish activity? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Well first off you shouldn’t be telling people about your preps unless you trust them 100% to not come knocking at your door with others ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Is prepping a cultish activity?

Well first off you shouldn’t be telling people about your preps unless you trust them 100% to not come knocking at your door with others when shtf

@Phenol, I can understand your position. And I realize that there are members here who live amid judgmatic townies or neighbors who condemn anyone differing from themselves.

However, everyone (including the regulars at the coffee cafe') knows what I carry and why I carry it--I even sit and showcase knives to local Madison police officers--did a demo once as the officer sat in his patrol car.

Here's my reasoning. I'm out to show the public that a switchblade is just a jackknife. The purchase of such a tool does not define the owner in shadowy terms. There are lots of times you need "three hands" to complete a project, and the right tool pulls its own weight.

To be polite, my defensive pistol is usually covered by the tails of the dress shirt I wear over my jeans. But one afternoon at the cafe' I got over-heated and ditched the shirt. No one said anything or freaked out, or ran for the constables. We were all just boomers drinking over-priced, substandard coffee and making sick jokes.

In the end I think people hide who they are under the false notion that they should hide. This is patently BS. You're a righteous, legal, law-abiding citizen, and you have the same rights and privileges as the banger screaming his angst from his Escalade.

I carry what I want when I want. Pistols and switchblades have been legal to all of Wisconsin's citizenry as open carry for over two years. Let the libtards hide who they are.
    Inor, Slippy and Prepared One like this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Annie, I have fired my psychiatrist. You will be my therapist from now on.

Your rates are more reasonable, and frankly, you make more sense...

(So there's a patron saint for motorcycles?)
    For everything, Tourist. That and an angel to boot, or so I am told. But I guess we know less about them (angels) for the most part.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    But I guess we know less about them (angels) for the most part.
    Well, I have actually met some Angels.

I asked them if they were from "Heavens Gate," and they told me, no, they hailed from Oakland.

Oh, and that "purity guise" is just a scam. I've never seen anyone but these Angels pour down the hard liquor and still ride. But then, who could fly after that?

@Phenol, I can understand your position. And I realize that there are members here who live amid judgmatic townies or neighbors who condemn anyone differing from themselves.

However, everyone (including the regulars at the coffee cafe') knows what I carry and why I carry it--I even sit and showcase knives to local Madison police officers--did a demo once as the officer sat in his patrol car.

Here's my reasoning. I'm out to show the public that a switchblade is just a jackknife. The purchase of such a tool does not define the owner in shadowy terms. There are lots of times you need "three hands" to complete a project, and the right tool pulls its own weight.

To be polite, my defensive pistol is usually covered by the tails of the dress shirt I wear over my jeans. But one afternoon at the cafe' I got over-heated and ditched the shirt. No one said anything or freaked out, or ran for the constables. We were all just boomers drinking over-priced, substandard coffee and making sick jokes.

In the end I think people hide who they are under the false notion that they should hide. This is patently BS. You're a righteous, legal, law-abiding citizen, and you have the same rights and privileges as the banger screaming his angst from his Escalade.

I carry what I want when I want. Pistols and switchblades have been legal to all of Wisconsin's citizenry as open carry for over two years. Let the libtards hide who they are.
    I saw this the other day and your reasoning reminded me of something that might be of interest to you, Tourist.

When we lived in Cincinnati I was active on the OFCC (Ohioans for Concealed Carry) forum. At the time they had a monthly, printed newsletter. The January 2009 issue was to feature the cases for and against open carry. I got volunteered to write the pro OC piece, and so I did. I presented an argument based on Aristotelian virtues. I claimed that, when and where appropriate (BIG caveat) people who CC were cowards.

As you might imagine, that generated a few pages of discussion on the forum.

Marica Bernstein hold's what I call a” Pure" view of the Second Amendment-Carry how you want, but recommends Open Carry as a statement of Liberty and identity. People will get used to seeing there fellow citizens armed.

In my opinion the winner of the debate is-

Marica Bernstein, by an intellectual knock out. She logically explained her position, and won me over.
    (I liked "intellectual knockout"!)

Anywho-- that thread is here if you're interested: https://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=26451

Here's how my essay started (originally published OFCC Newsletter January 2009)

Is prepping a cultish activity?-screen-shot-2019-06-24-12.07.54-pm.jpg

Is prepping a cultish activity?-screen-shot-2019-06-24-12.08.24-pm.jpg

@Marica, will you marry me?

I was an English-minor at the UW-Madison, my colors always got strange looks. To that, I am writing my own book--it's a cornucopia of religion, action-adventure, a Red Queen who needs saving, and your token chisel-featured, poor but honest biker. Why did I just explain this?

Well, you had me at "Aristotelian."
    Last edited by The Tourist; 06-24-2019 at 11:40 AM.
    Marica likes this.

Why, thanks for the offer but I am quite happily married already! To a philosopher & neuroscientist, no less, who also does almost all of the cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Why, thanks for the offer but I am quite happily married already! To a philosopher & neuroscientist, no less, who also does almost all of the cooking.
    Yeah, I'm married, too. And happily, for over 40 years. Where did you study the works of Aristotle? Yikes, I had to break into an English class of limited participation just to study the old masters. Looking back, it was easy to see where we get so many of our modern movie plots. In fact, while "Troy" was one heck of a movie, the plot errors were an issue.

Yeah, I'm married, too. And happily, for over 40 years. Where did you study the works of Aristotle? Yikes, I had to break into an English class of limited participation just to study the old masters. Looking back, it was easy to see where we get so many of our modern movie plots. In fact, while "Troy" was one heck of a movie, the plot errors were an issue.
    Well, Tourist, it's not so much studying as it is living. As my daughters frequently remind me when I'm upset that my expectations for others' behavior are not met, "We aren't like everyone else." Among my immediate family-- husband, three daughters, two sons-in-law-- are three philosophers! One SIL specialized in ancient philosophy. Husband has a thing for Aristotelian virtue ethics (though he never published in this field b/c he thought he wasn't good enough). Another SIL is finishing a novel set in ancient Greece. So real philosophy-- not the stupid made-up crap that abounds these day, but the real stuff like you're talking about-- is every freaking where. All of this started when I went back to school (20+ years ago) to get a 2nd undergrad. Signed up for the Honors Intro to Philosophy class. Guy teaching it thought he knew some science. Begged to differ. He's outside on his John Deere Z700 cutting over by the lake right now! He's fixing chicken friccasee for supper.

You are right, I cannot think of a plot or story line that didn't originate with the ancients.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    You are right, I cannot think of a plot or story line that didn't originate with the ancients.
    This is why I bent over backwards to make my book so dramatically different it would be an oddball genre' to read. The closest I could find was the movie of a British paratrooper who should have been killed in a fall, only to have been missed by the Angels of Death when he is lost in a British fog. He wakes up very much alive on the beach.

I flipped the issue. My hero was supposed to die "on a fixed schedule." However, he sees the love of his life with a strange man, and lost in thought he gets run over and is in the act of dying. The angels don't know what to do with him, so his Guardian Angel takes him to Purgatory until the mistake is remedied.

As you might guess, Purgatory is filled with sinners on the edge, including one queen. My lead anti-hero decides that if he is being sentenced to this semi-hell, he might as well make it a better place. His Guardian Angel is shocked to find out that this guy is extracting his own revenge, and Purgatory is now short several missing villains who mysteriously have died and now dropped into the real Hell.

Oh, and the Queen hates this anti-hero. The story is a series, and for the first part, they are polar opposites and severe critics of each other. I like this better than making them lovers, everyone does that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Sponsored Links