Is prepping a cultish activity? - Page 4

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is prepping a cultish activity?

This is a discussion on Is prepping a cultish activity? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Yeah well if taking responsibility for yourself is a now viewed as cultish... . Never mind....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Is prepping a cultish activity?

Yeah well if taking responsibility for yourself is a now viewed as cultish... . Never mind.
    Joe and stevekozak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    Yeah well if taking responsibility for yourself is a now viewed as cultish... . Never mind.
    You'll have to forgive Hawgrider and myself. We come from an antique era when men were men and sheep were nervous. In fact, my wife was still a teenager in high school the first time I made her laugh by saying, "You can get more with a smile and switchblade than you can with just a smile." Now she has several switchblades of her own and she's downright picky about my polishing on her edges.

See my point? In the supposed real world of "Wheel of Fortune" and potluck dinner guys like Hawgrider and myself are the last of the 'bad boys.' But in truth, we cannot find where our wives hide the toilet paper, and we actually cuff and stuff muggers and personally deliver them to the real cops. It's not that we're stupid, it's just that the 1960s were 'black and white.' There were good guys and Ovaltine commercials. We didn't know any better.

For example, I think I offended a moderator here. Well, of course I did, you cannot explain the behavior of the 1960s to a person sitting in front of a computer. Now, Hawgrider would be the first one here to change your tire. Why? Because his dad burned that into his brain before he was age eleven. He'd get boils if you changed your own tire.

We're bikers of yester-year. Give us a break, we're the last there is...
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    don't know what kind of regional bigotry you're talking out of your azz >>> but if your talking guns & ammo being an indicator of prepping - I'll bet the per capita %%%% is higher in Chicago than your neighborhood - people own/carry/use because there's an ongoing crime SHTF across the country with special emphasis of crime across the boards in the cities ...

if you're dumb enough to read & believe the NRA crap >>>> that's probably a problem that can't be cured ...
    Alright pal, lets all get along. No need for calling people dumb or accusing. Take it easy.
    Inor and stevekozak like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by youngridge View Post
    Alright pal, lets all get along. No need for calling people dumb or accusing. Take it easy.
    Congratulations Young Ridge!!! You are now a proud member of the "regional bigot" club!!!

Illini Warrior does not take kindly to those of us that do not think Chicago is the center of the universe. But he saves a special place in Hell for those of us that think Chicago is the armpit of the universe.

Welcome! You are amongst friends.
    rest in peace Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Playing devil's advocate here: it seems like a lot of cults use end time prophesies and SHTF predictions to manipulate people. Was Harold Camping a cult leader?

I know we're different from that....How are we different?
    Well if interpreted using standard Bible sfudy methods its hard to scare Believers with in time prophecies. Chistian cults are typically based on sources of inspiration outside the Bible. For instance Mormons have Book of Mormon...the Jehovah Wittnesses Have their Watchtower Society...the Sevnth Day Adventists have the prophecies of Ellen White..the Catholics have Traiditions of the Church and Papal Uttereances etc.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Well if interpreted using standard Bible sfudy methods its hard to scare Believers with in time prophecies. Chistian cults are typically based on sources of inspiration outside the Bible. For instance Mormons have Book of Mormon...the Jehovah Wittnesses Have their Watchtower Society...the Sevnth Day Adventists have the prophecies of Ellen White..the Catholics have Traiditions of the Church and Papal Uttereances etc.
    The earliest Christians didn't have the bible. Were they cult members? Prior to the 1500's most people were illiterate, so how could they have been "bible only?"Who had the God given authority to decide on the cannons of the bible and why? Where does the bible say "Bible only", and how could it say that seeing as the books were written prior to having been compiled?

ETA: if bible only is correct, how come there's so many Protestant denominations?
    Last edited by Annie; 06-20-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Well, Annie, I was born Roman Catholic (confession, Communion, Confirmation), then became an SDA due to the intense Bible study. Most Adventists can quote chapter and verse if you just give them the numbers only. You're usually welcomed to the church with lessons we call "Daniel/Revelation."

I believe in Christ and I anxiously await some form of 'direction' from The Spirit to help another lost soul, but it doesn't come often enough for me.

Recently I could not find my mother's Rosary, and tore the house apart like I was looking for a Frank B stiletto. But like most of my friends, we are all walking contradictions.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Our do non-preppers view us that way? Have you ever told someone you prepped and gotten a weird reaction?

Here's the definition Google gave me: a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Okay, so it's not religious activity although it does seem to me that many of us (not all) are religious. But prepping definitely something we practice. Some people may see prepping as strange, but it's not sinister--even if stockpiling firearms and ammo might be considered "sinister" by some...

What do you think? Is prepping cultish? Are we a small group of people?
    The Google definition is really a quite poor one. I do not think prepping is a "cultish activity". I do think that there are cults that do prep. It is my opinion that one of the biggest religions that are known for prepping, the Mormons, are, at heart, a cult. A very big and wealthy (second richest church in the world) cult.

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    don't know what kind of regional bigotry you're talking out of your azz >>> but if your talking guns & ammo being an indicator of prepping - I'll bet the per capita %%%% is higher in Chicago than your neighborhood - people own/carry/use because there's an ongoing crime SHTF across the country with special emphasis of crime across the boards in the cities ...

if you're dumb enough to read & believe the NRA crap >>>> that's probably a problem that can't be cured ...
    For Pete's sake, IW! Chicago is a craphole. Just accept it. You can love it if you want, but it is still a liberal-ran craphole.
    hawgrider likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tourist View Post
    Now, Hawgrider would be the first one here to change your tire. .
    Only until he saw that your spare tire was made in Japan. Then he would call you a traitor, kick the jack out from under the car, and let it fall on your Chinese-manufactured shoe-clad foot!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links