Is prepping a cultish activity? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is prepping a cultish activity?

This is a discussion on Is prepping a cultish activity? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by hawgrider I'm not going to let you ride the comet unless you are wearing the required tennis shoes. But.... but... but... I've ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Is prepping a cultish activity?

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    I'm not going to let you ride the comet unless you are wearing the required tennis shoes.
    But.... but... but... I've got my $5.75.......
    Good morning! As you can see, my assassins have failed again.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

If you ignore the secret hand shake...
    A Watchman and Prepared One like this.
    Be a Berean

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by hawgrider View Post
    Cult? Nah!

Who's mixing up the Koolaid?
    Okay, maybe not a cult; just a sub-culture.

As in: "a cultural group within a larger culture, often having beliefs or interests at variance with those of the larger culture."

How's that?

We do have beliefs and interests that are at variance with the rest of society, right?
    Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Playing devil's advocate here: it seems like a lot of cults use end time prophesies and SHTF predictions to manipulate people. Was Harold Camping a cult leader?

I know we're different from that....How are we different?
    Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

I guess I don’t think people around here think it’s weird that I have a garden, can, may be a hoarder a bit, and like firearms and ammo...that probably describes a lot of people around here. Ask some one from Chicago and they would say it is cult like. At this point if it is a hobby and you have a group of people that enjoy it with you what isn’t a cult?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie likes this.

The Good Cop

Oh, I don't know about y'all, but my wife and I are just plain country folk that were raised by parents who survived the Great Depression and then WWII.

And, like a lot of our rural neighbors, we grow vegetables, raise chickens, and if we're lucky have a deer in the freezer.
    When canned goods are on sale, we buy a case or two or three. Is that "prepping" or simply stretching the dollars?

We have always "put things back" for unexpected hard times, be that illness, job loss, hurricane, whatever. Is that "prepping" or simply being practical?
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I don't know that "prepping" is a cult, but as I look around these here United States and the world in general, I think it's a damned necessity and only prudent. I also think there are more of us then people realize.

When Harvey came into Houston, while everyone was running around chasing gas, trying to buy generators, and fighting in the isle of Walmart for the last can of beans, I cam home, cracked a cold beer, threw a steak on the grill, and watched it rain. Call me crazy and sinister while your happy ass floats out to the gulf with that can of beans you fought for. Now, pass me some of @hawgrider 's Koolaid.
    Chiefster23, hawgrider and Joe like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

After reading this thread, I think the idea of a "cult" depends on whether you are "in" or "out." Let me exp[lain.

If you are "in," my guess is that you view the people in your circle as friends and club members. You look forward to seeing them, and you're learning a lot.

If you are "out," you view any organization that you're not a member of to be clannish, and close-minded. They like each other, which you might interpret as simply not liking you.

The folks I hung out with did lots of volunteer and charity work, believe it or not. But to the townies that simply did not meet our standards for membership, we got trashed, usually about things we never did or would do.

Personally, I just think the epithet 'prepper' just means a guy with extra food and a secure basement, which doubles as a shelter. Yes, I know there are guys who build bunkers and have 20 years of frozen, dried food and several thousand rounds of ammunition, but don't you think that strain is the vast minority?
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Quote Originally Posted by youngridge View Post
    I guess I don’t think people around here think it’s weird that I have a garden, can, may be a hoarder a bit, and like firearms and ammo...that probably describes a lot of people around here. Ask some one from Chicago and they would say it is cult like. At this point if it is a hobby and you have a group of people that enjoy it with you what isn’t a cult?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't know what kind of regional bigotry you're talking out of your azz >>> but if your talking guns & ammo being an indicator of prepping - I'll bet the per capita %%%% is higher in Chicago than your neighborhood - people own/carry/use because there's an ongoing crime SHTF across the country with special emphasis of crime across the boards in the cities ...

if you're dumb enough to read & believe the NRA crap >>>> that's probably a problem that can't be cured ...
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Regional Bigotry.... wah effing wah! Time to sing a new tune there Illinoid! Chicago sucks tell all your friends!
    A Watchman and stevekozak like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links