Is prepping a cultish activity? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is prepping a cultish activity?

This is a discussion on Is prepping a cultish activity? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; @ Annie as we know here on the forum prepping is just common sense and has been practiced for generations. As far as the population ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Is prepping a cultish activity?

Joe

@Annie as we know here on the forum prepping is just common sense and has been practiced for generations. As far as the population in general is concerned some of the things we do may seem peculiar to them. Those are the same folks that are caught with their pants down when a tragedy strikes. ie we are the ants and they are the grasshoppers.

Most preppers I have found are reasonable people. Many believe we are crazy due to watching shows like doomsday preppers (some folks there are indeed crazy).
    Most people prep for scenarios that are very likely to happen (such as hurricanes, tornadoes, draught, etc.). I do not see any problems with it. Many people that actually prep do not even call themselves preppers 😂
    It would be cultish if we all just gave up our jobs and regular lives and moved to an completely offgrid comunity and waited for the zombie apocalypse 😛
    Annie, rice paddy daddy and Gunn like this.

I'm still waiting for the next comet to arrive with the UFO behind it that will take my soul to another "level of existence above human".
    hawgrider and stevekozak like this.
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    @Annie as we know here on the forum prepping is just common sense and has been practiced for generations. As far as the population in general is concerned some of the things we do may seem peculiar to them. Those are the same folks that are caught with their pants down when a tragedy strikes. ie we are the ants and they are the grasshoppers.
    The Ant works hard in the withering heat all summer long, building his house and laying up supplies for the winter.

The Grasshopper thinks he's a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering Grasshopper calls a press conference and demands to know why the Ant should be allowed to be warm and well fed while others are cold and starving.

CBS, NBC, ABC, and CNN show up to provide pictures of the shivering Grasshopper next to a video of the Ant in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.

America is stunned by the sharp contrast. How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor Grasshopper is allowed to suffer so?

Kermit the Frog appears on The View with the grasshopper, and everybody cries when they sing "It's Not Easy Being Green."

Jesse Jackson stages a demonstration in front of the Ant's house where the news stations film the group singing "We shall overcome."

Jesse then has The group kneel down to pray to God for the Grasshopper's sake. AOC & Maxine Waters exclaim in a CNN interview with Anderson Cooper that the Ant has gotten rich off the back of the Grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the Ant to make him pay his "fair share."

Finally, the EEOC drafts the "Economic Equity and Anti-Grasshopper Act," retroactive to the beginning of the summer.

The Ant is fined for failing to hire a proportionate number of green bugs and, having nothing left to pay his retroactive taxes, his home is confiscated by the government.

Hillary gets her old law firm to represent the grasshopper in a defamation suit against the Ant, and the case is tried before a panel of federal
    judges that Obama appointed, from a list of single-parent welfare recipients.

The Ant loses the case.

The story ends as we see the Grasshopper finishing up the last bits of the Ant's food while the government house he is in, which just happens to be the Ant's old house, crumbles around him because he doesn't maintain it.

The Ant has disappeared in the snow.

The Grasshopper is found dead in a drug-related incident and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the once peaceful neighborhood.
    KUSA, Annie, Camel923 and 4 others like this.

I hate to admit this but, the only thing I have prepped on is guns and ammo.

My buddy recommended that I start stocking up on bbq sauce. He seems to think it will make the liberals taste better when there’s nothing left to eat.
    A Watchman and Slippy like this.

Prepping is a historic fact of life in days gone by, still practiced in parts of the world that live off the land, or that have hazards to their livelihood likely. Now there are people who take the notion to full tilt positions, where they are preparing for an alien invasion, a global pandemic, an earth ending catastrophe.
    These are your uber preppers... sort of like your ultra marathon runners. THeirs not that many that do it full time....and you can tell theirs something different about them.

Your next level of prepper is your militant prepper. They are preparing to fight off a horde of zombies, attackers, government brown shirts. These are like your mud runners...they really really just want to have a reason to get all muddy and can't wait until one starts up. These are the preppers who have 27 guns, 1000's of rounds per gun....and a box of MRE's somewhere in the back

Then you have your life style prepper...More common...like Joggers....THey stock pile what will help them live and survive if things go bad without having to rush out an fight through the hordes raging against Walmart.

Then you got folks like me.... I have learned how to do just about everything...am to poor and lazy to stock pile anything, and unafraid to revert to savagery once the bell rings...So in keeping with the athletic prose I used...I'm like the Speed walker... To lazy to really run, probably doing myself more harm than good, no one enjoys watching it happen....and I'm probably gonna cramp up and die at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post

Does big Ricky the local mechanic down at the transmission repair shop in some BumPhock Florida Panhandle town that my old Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo broke down in one time back in the early 90's "prep" before he tears out my transmission? Oooops, bad example but you get my drift!
    I think it is the best example.. mechanics have to have a variety of items on hand before they can do the work... no mechanic wants to have a vehicle stuck on the lift because they forgot to order the blinker fluid or the right size oil filter....
    Annie and Slippy like this.
    Be a Berean

Third holler on the right. Then up the road a piece
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    I'm still waiting for the next comet to arrive with the UFO behind it that will take my soul to another "level of existence above human".
    I'm not going to let you ride the comet unless you are wearing the required tennis shoes.
    Camel923, Joe and stevekozak like this.
    "The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath." W. C. Fields

Not a cult but prepping is a subculture. You move in different circles when it comes to being a prepper.

We tend to be quite almost secretive in what we do. First is op sec and second is to avoid hassle from people who look at being prepared with scorn. As @Illini Warrior pointed out, by in large there is a commonality to how we think.
    Last edited by Camel923; 06-13-2019 at 07:06 PM.
    Annie likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

No, I wouldn't consider prepping a "cult". More a cognitive mindset not to be overly dependent on items and services we can't easily provide for ourselves in this shaky and unreliable world.
    Annie likes this.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links