Predicting Bad Weather Yourself!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Predicting Bad Weather Yourself! within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; On the thread Annie started while in her basement during the tornado warning, Prepared One said: To me, the danger of a tornado is it's ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Marica
  • 1 Post By Chipper

Thread: Predicting Bad Weather Yourself!

On the thread Annie started while in her basement during the tornado warning, Prepared One said:

To me, the danger of a tornado is it's unpredictability. They can give you warnings telling you conditions are right for tornado formation but when and exactly where, you just don't know. Hurricanes are easier, more wide spread damage and not any fun either, but you know pretty much where and when with hurricanes.
    True enough. Tornado prediction is way better than it used to be (though I could cite several examples of very poor hurricane prediction lately). But there are a couple of programs/apps out there that will give you personally a lot more information than just what you get from the TV guy or your NOAA weather radio.

Earlier this spring I wrote a whole series of posts on "Gathering Information on Bad Weather." (The series is here if anyone's interested. Covers everything from getting information from outside sources (the "tell me" posts), to Buy Ballot's Law, to several posts discussing these apps I mentioned and how to set up your own weather station. Yes. I am a weather geek.)

For tornadoes prediction and information (other storms, too), the #1 app is Radar Scope. (No, I am not a paid spokesperson! It's really good.)

Predicting Bad Weather Yourself!-rs1.png

For phones and tablets/iPad it's a one time $9.99 for basic. Upgrade costs more but can't remember. Learning all it can show you is pretty easy if you watch some YouTube videos. Remember, radar is a picture of what HAS already happened. But because it also gives you screens of wind direction and speed, precipitation information, etc., you can learn to spot where troubling cells are in relation to where you are and predict a warning for your area in advance of NOAA beeping at you.

The information comes directly from the national weather service stations, so it's the exact same information your local meteorologist has.

Right now, for example, there's a severe thunderstorm warning for a region in WV just west of Beckley. Further west of the warning area, there's 1/2" hail. Some areas of wind at 40+mph.

So with some practice, you can get pretty good predicting bad weather yourself.
    Annie and Slippy like this.

Clouds

Brarameter

Wind

Not to brag but I can beat the new local weather man from TX here in WI. He just doesn't understand how the local plains, hills and water ways effect the weather around here yet.
    Marica likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

The weather man radrar

Is Much better than an Azzhat

Sponsored Links