Personal Weather Station acting up
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Personal Weather Station acting up within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm guessing at least a few if not more of you have PWSs. I bought an AcuRite Atlas, with the lightening detector, a few months ...

I'm guessing at least a few if not more of you have PWSs. I bought an AcuRite Atlas, with the lightening detector, a few months ago. It's got some a design flaw that's really stupid. The indoor monitor only works on AC (no backup battery) and doesn't have a cord like a phone what could be plugged into a USB port on a power bank. That's especially stupid when you figure that a lot of folks in rural areas have PWSs and these are the same folks whose power goes out a lot during bad weather. What good is a weather station that doesn't work in bad weather? (We don't fire up the generator for short-term outages.) I fixed that problem, but...

I have the monitor parked on top of a bookshelf-- right where it always is-- and three or four times today it's lost signal from the outdoor sensor. Usually, I have 4 bars of signal. The outdoor sensor runs on solar during the day and it is most definitely a sunny day. The winds hasn't been bad enough to knock it out of position (I checked, plus, it would have to be some serious wind). Nothing has changed from, say, yesterday when it was fine.

And just like magic, it's back to 4 bars.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what would make it go wonky?

Numerous things can interfere with RF signal receiving products. Police Radio's....Ambulance radio's...CB and ham radio's and aircraft radio's not to mention sunspots and solar flares. Oh by the way 800 mhz or 2.4 and 5 GHZ cordless phones either in your home or neighbors homes can screw things up as well!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT E View Post
    Numerous things can interfere with RF signal receiving products. Police Radio's....Ambulance radio's...CB and ham radio's and aircraft radio's not to mention sunspots and solar flares. Oh by the way 800 mhz or 2.4 and 5 GHZ cordless phones either in your home or neighbors homes can screw things up as well!
    and so.. ? It's plop in the middle of 60 acres of nothing.

Sponsored Links