Travel and hotel security tips.

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Travel and hotel security tips. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Now that summer's here (yay!), and some of us will be going on vacation, I thought it might be good to start a tread on ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Travel and hotel security tips.

Super Moderator

Now that summer's here (yay!), and some of us will be going on vacation, I thought it might be good to start a tread on staying safe while traveling. Security can be very important, especially for people traveling alone. Also, leaving things like laptops in the room while you're out having fun can be a concern. How do you check to see that your room is really empty upon entering?

My 20-something-year-old daughter is talking about taking a trip on her own. (ugh) Give me your tips, please and thanks!
    RedLion likes this.
    Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

Don't leave your toothbrush out...
    stevekozak and Camel923 like this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Don't leave your toothbrush out...
    Slippy and stevekozak like this.
    Hidden Content
    Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered: and let them that hate Him flee from before His face. --Propers for Pentecost

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Now that summer's here (yay!), and some of us will be going on vacation, I thought it might be good to start a tread on staying safe while traveling. Security can be very important, especially for people traveling alone. Also, leaving things like laptops in the room while you're out having fun can be a concern. How do you check to see that your room is really empty upon entering?

My 20-something-year-old daughter is talking about taking a trip on her own. (ugh) Give me your tips, please and thanks!
    It's called 'clearing a room'......
    First rule of gun safety: carry one.
    Whoever said, "Life is short" didn't understand it's the longest thing you're ever going to do.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    It's called 'clearing a room'......
    First rule of gun safety: carry one.
    Where ever you can.

If you are traveling to other states be aware of that states gun laws.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

never stay in the old style "Red Roof"s with the exposed room entrances - totally enclosed hotels only with ALL hotel entrances key locked and working well ...

whether you buy one of the electronic gimmick door alarms or just carry an old fashion door wedges - don't rely on just the hotel locks when you're sleeping >>> there's plenty of universal key cards around and regular keys for even the deadbolts ...

"clearing the room" includes checking the adjoining room door if it's a suite setup - also check the windows for being locked - when you go out leave all the inside room doors wide open - have a couple of the lites on along with the TV >>>> anything amiss back out - somebody might be waiting or you trapped one rifling thru the room ....
    Annie, T-Man 1066 and RedLion like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Here are some serious tips;

Stay at a reputable hotel chain in a nice area with interior access room doors. Some will have late night security and a lobby door that stays locked after 11 pm with entrance only with hotel room key. Most have security cameras.

I joke about not keeping your toothbrush out but I'm serious. I have a small padlock that I lock my travel bag up after I put all of my belongings in it if I leave for the day. Sure if anyone wants to break into my luggage can do so with a set of bolt cutters, but it keeps the semi-honest out...and my toothbrush safe from ... whatever.

Use the safety lock on the door. If possible, keep your pistol with you at all times while in the room.

Generally speaking, most reputable hotel chains are pretty safe and I've travelled a lot in my career. Usually I stay at Hilton properties or Marriott mid price properties and have never felt unsafe.

Oh, and remember to carry a small Black-Light just for fun!

Never stay at a motel 6, or Days inn of any so called budget place . Avoid most super 8. Read reviews closely. Never block a door open to carry stuff in or out. We travel a lot. And have learned the hard way.
    Annie and inceptor like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Quote Originally Posted by soyer38301 View Post
    Where ever you can.

If you are traveling to other states be aware of that states gun laws.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    See the first rule.....
    soyer38301 likes this.

I travel extensively for work so I have routine. First off, spend the extra few bucks and stay at a nice hotel in a good area. Check the room before unpacking. Make sure AC and TV's work. Check the sheets, check the bathroom, everything gets a look over. Check your windows, make sure they have a lock and that it functions. Check your door locks and the door between room if you have one. Always carry your weapon and have spare mags and ammunition. Get a tethered lock box so you can lock up your valuables when your forced to leave them in the room. Have a small boo-boo kit in your bag along with a small quality flashlight, spare batteries and pocket knife.
    Travelers are a target to some, particularly new travelers who are alone and not paying attention. Be alert!

I travel mostly in Texas so I have a complete GHB in the truck along with other essential items but when traveling to other states I do what I can with what circumstances allow.
    stevekozak, Annie, Slippy and 5 others like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links