Food Storage Fail
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Food Storage Fail

This is a discussion on Food Storage Fail within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; This thread is for listing your food storage fails. Basically something you put up that was no good long before you thought it would become ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Food Storage Fail

Food Storage Fail

This thread is for listing your food storage fails. Basically something you put up that was no good long before you thought it would become inedible. Helps us all to make better decisions about foods to store and storage conditions. Storage space in a air conditioned location is limited for most of us.

I had much of my long term stored foods in a closet and my large pantry for years with no problems. But last September I had to move it to the crawlspace under the house on a pallet. I hoped the ground in an enclosed space would help moderate the tempature a bit here in the South East US.

The 26oz cardboard "cans" of salt which had stored well for years in the pantry were slightly soggy sitting in a plastic box under the house. but the 40 lbs of salt in a 5 gallon pail is fine.
    The hard candy which stored well in a closet well is half liquified after 10 months under the house.

So tell us your stored food fails...
    Annie and RedLion like this.

Everything we've tried except canned goods have been a bust. Didn't matter if we vacuum packed, canned or sealed container etc. It was all a big failure and waste after a couple years. Sure a couple months was fine but nothing in the long term.

So far, all my dry goods that I put up are fine. What blew me away was a couple of dozen of no name canned fruits (cans obviously) went bad and had to be thrown out in about 5 years time.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Tuna. I can not can tuna for a darn. We have tried two or three times. All it was fit for was catfood.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum.
    NRA Life Member
    "America is at that awkward stage. It's to late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards" Claire Wolfe

Thought peanut butter was suppose to out live me. Had a jar tucked away on the boat for probably three years and it was rancid. Good for grab bait.

Mice in pantry cabinet. Got into stored rice/pasta etc......

Solution 1/4" wire mesh to line exterior/side on wall.

Mice in root cellar. Solution same 1/4" wire mesh.

Mealy worms in grain products (worms make good fishing bait). Solution repackage in canning jars.

Mice in house/barns. Two of these baited 24/7

Food Storage Fail-mousetrap1.jpg

Every few years we find a couple of cans of commercially canned food that have gone bad. So far most of the food that we "can" have been good to go.

It is few and far between but we have found a mylar bag or two of food where the Oxygen Absorber didn't work or there was a leak but usually I check those pretty carefully before putting them up.

I cannot stress the importance of keeping up with your food rotation practices. Probably the biggest fail we've had over the years is not properly rotating fresh fruit, veggies and meat.
    Prepared One, Annie and stevekozak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    Thought peanut butter was suppose to out live me. Had a jar tucked away on the boat for probably three years and it was rancid. Good for grab bait.

don't believe everything posted about food - half the info is uninformed repeated crapola >>> if food has fats and/or oils it's limited to a few years - freezing is the only answer to that ...
    Slippy, Annie and inceptor like this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Super Moderator

I was sad to find out my husband's pickled peppers went bad. I put some on my salmon last week. Yuck! Disgusting. They were from 2015. I thought that since they were pickled they'd last forever. Not so. Now I have to toss about 10 quart jars worth. Yeah, keep up with that rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by stowlin View Post
    Anything with a high fat content is going to go bad fairly quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links