Food Storage Fail - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Food Storage Fail

This is a discussion on Food Storage Fail within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Canned pineapple juice, had a bunch stored on the bottom of a brand new trash can ( at least I got the bottom part right) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Food Storage Fail

Canned pineapple juice, had a bunch stored on the bottom of a brand new trash can ( at least I got the bottom part right) didn’t think much of it did one of my every few months checks open the lid and POW I got hit with pineapple juice smell.
    The juice had eaten its way through the cans and I had a 3 inch pool of juice in the bottom of the can. Cleaned it all out through away the cans and learned a lesson there.
    bigwheel and Slippy like this.
    "Every day above ground is a good one" Author KO

I got moldy jerky one time from letting it cool down too slow. Learned to throw it in a brown paper grocery sack and forget about till the next day. Gives a nice just right drying effect. Always store left over jerky in the freezer. Never the ice box.
    Elvis likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by evandaprepper View Post
    Anything with a high fat content is going to go bad fairly quickly.
    Anybody have a root cellar?

I still have leftover potaotoes that are sprouting but edible, in july.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I got moldy jerky one time from letting it cool down too slow. Learned to throw it in a brown paper grocery sack and forget about till the next day. Gives a nice just right drying effect. Always store left over jerky in the freezer. Never the ice box.

By using the bag, it lets the jerky cool down slow, versus just transferring it to a ziplock?
    This very morning i turned off two dehydrators full of jerky and just left them in the trays. I was running late and didn't want to weigh it out till tonight.
    I sell the guys at work three ounces for 5$.
    may have to raise to 6$ because of inflation. HA
    Slippy likes this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt View Post
    Canned pineapple juice, had a bunch stored on the bottom of a brand new trash can ( at least I got the bottom part right) didn’t think much of it did one of my every few months checks open the lid and POW I got hit with pineapple juice smell.
    The juice had eaten its way through the cans and I had a 3 inch pool of juice in the bottom of the can. Cleaned it all out through away the cans and learned a lesson there.
    Great tip on that. Pineappe juice is a good solvent... as is grapefruit juice. Was running off a batch of bbq sauce one time that included a little Grapefruit juice. Decieed to brew it up in a thin aluminum pan. Stuck it in the ice box for a day or so and it ate a hole in the pan.
    Slippy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Great tip on that. Pineappe juice is a good solvent... as is grapefruit juice. Was running off a batch of bbq sauce one time that included a little Grapefruit juice. Decieed to brew it up in a thin aluminum pan. Stuck it in the ice box for a day or so and it ate a hole in the pan.
    I knew this crusty fat rich chick back in the early 1980's, she did some sort of Grapefruit & Grapefruit Juice diet. Must of worked on the bitches insides cause she lost a ton of weight. From then on she always looked like she had just eaten a lemon wrapped up in my old baseball socks, had this surly look on her face. When she got skinny, she married a guy we worked with then one day out of the blue, she cut his ass loose, changed the locks and stuff like that. It was funny to the rest of us because no one liked either one of them!
    bigwheel likes this.

Sounds like some good material for a reality TV show right there. Sounds like a gal I used to know who went on the Adkins diet and clear liquor with soda..lost a bunch of weight and ended up marrying my old widowed WW II vet pal who served with Patton in a Tank. He claimed to have watch old Patton pee in the River and said tankers love canned bacon cause they can cook it right on the Tank exhaust. He would not let the pretty young new skinny wife drink coffee from his dearly departed former wife's coffee cup so she got her feelings hurt and ran off. Then he up and died of old age. Its sort of a bitter sweet story. sniff sniff.
    Last edited by bigwheel; 07-06-2019 at 12:44 PM.
    Slippy likes this.

pancake mix in mylar... the bags start to swell up and look like balloons
    Elvis likes this.
    Be a Berean

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links