Delayed planting from flooding and cattle kill - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delayed planting from flooding and cattle kill

This is a discussion on Delayed planting from flooding and cattle kill within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Marica My cotton farmer neighbors haven't planted yet either. Heck, I just got my beans in today. Local ran a story about ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Delayed planting from flooding and cattle kill

Quote Originally Posted by Marica View Post
    My cotton farmer neighbors haven't planted yet either. Heck, I just got my beans in today.

Local ran a story about farmers wanting to get to their fields but being unable because rains had washed culverts and bridges out and road crews hadn't been able to get to them all. And we're in a pretty well-off county. Can't imagine what it's like in the delta.
    I plouged 1/2 my garden ~ 3 weeks ago, was best time given wettness but still too wet, usually done April........ I decided to finish up this week and found 1st plowing had compacted some soil (deep loam) so I did the whole garden again. I wanted to run the harrow through, then it started to rain........ we got 3/4" rain. Well at least it is all plowed and I have many indoor/greenhouse stuff to transplant. Seeded stuff is going to be late.

I'm in Northeast, not near any floodplains. I wish those less fortunate best of luck and good weather

Just duck-duck-go'ed (refuse to do the g-word) "Mississippi flooding" for past month and the affects are one thing after another. No barge traffic on the river so northern farmers can't ship last fall's wheat, so storage space is overfilled. ... Here in Mississippi there's a huge problem with WMAs and deer and turkey being displaced. also backwater flooding into the tributaries. It's a mess. We're on relatively high ground but we never seen the lake this full.
    Slippy likes this.

P.S. Illini, when is your first frost date? Can your corn get in on time to mature? A july 1st planting and oct 1st frost would give you 90 days. On a plus these floods will fertilize the lands like not naturally done in many years

that's turning into quite a conversation piece between the farmers and seed companies - it'll have to be a long length season with a late fall & winter to get in the traditional plantings they originally intended - if the harvest goes short it won't be worthwhile even bothering to plant ...
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    P.S. Illini, when is your first frost date? Can your corn get in on time to mature? A july 1st planting and oct 1st frost would give you 90 days. On a plus these floods will fertilize the lands like not naturally done in many years

that's turning into quite a conversation piece between the farmers and seed companies - it'll have to be a long length season with a late fall & winter to get in the traditional plantings they originally intended - if the harvest goes short it won't be worthwhile even bothering to plant ...
    Here you there.

Been on Moms/Dads ~60 years. They tell you "frost date", but I've seen the early/late that long. Snow in May, frost first few Sept.

I hope things change out right. Maybe flooded fields a fertilizer blessing and a late frost.

Best.

MT

And I can go into Monsanto GMO on this. Mutha Fu........

How Does Monsanto give a rats AZZ about farmers or how crops deal with environment?

I have 60 day corn, it's not Monsanto shitI can spray @roundup on! If I plant , 4th July, in Zone 5 I'll get some

Half mile west of where Jesus left His sandals.
    I farm on the lL./Wis. border, about 70 acres. Last year due to bottom ground with no drain tile, and other issues I planted one field July 5th. 103 day corn. It yielded about 60 bu/ac. At 3.50 contract price I need to be 115 bu/ac to break even. I don't think I will even get in for a week or better yet. Grrr

In our area planting is behind a lot. My land is not planted yet. On our ride through IL an IN a lot of land that would have long been planted is not and is clearly wet.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Half mile west of where Jesus left His sandals.
    Where I don't have standing water, I can run my 4 wheeler, make ruts, the fill in with water in minutes.

Raw Veganism is very healthy.
    Living and Raw Foods Community Support

Yippee, we got another 3.5 inches at my place the last day or so. My poor farming neighbors have been planting like crazy over the last few days. Few days of dry weather. Just to have it all washed away. Otherwise it will rot in the ground with the cold air and soil temps.

Suppose to rain again Tues, Wed and the weekend. I'm sure it's getting to the point they won't even try to plant anything else. If they can ever get back into the fields.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links