Post EMP, 400 chernobyls?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Post EMP, 400 chernobyls? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; This guy, Matthew Stein is giving me a red pill. He's making me realize that a full fledged EMP could be even more grave than ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Post EMP, 400 chernobyls?

Super Moderator

This guy, Matthew Stein is giving me a red pill. He's making me realize that a full fledged EMP could be even more grave than Ted Koppel's "Lights Out" or any fiction book I've read on the subject describes.

Think of what could happen if the nuclear power plants shut down and they can't run the cooling systems for the reactors. Now when the Fukushima plant had it's meltdown, the radioactive waste went into the ocean. But our power plants, which are more in line with Chernobyl's, well we're screwed.

Do you live nearby a power plant? We have two here in NJ.....If you get a chance, catch this video.

Camel923, RedLion and Denton like this.

I guess my old CD gieger counter will be reading much higher! I'm prepared for just about anything but a N event.
    I'll grab the counter and a 12 pack of my Gluten free beer and sit outside and no SPF10000 needed.

That to me is the biggest immediate concern. If it doesn’t happen number two will be massive death and the fall of civilization as we know it.
    RedLion likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

You can’t really compare the Chernobyl and Fukushima plants with American designed systems. While there may well be vulnerabilities with the American plants, the failure scenarios are much fewer, operator and support staff training and emergency response is quite superior and controlled shutdown capabilities are much better developed. I’m not saying that we couldn’t have any negative impacts at our nuke plants from an EMP, but not at the chaotic and catastrophic proportions seen in Russia and Japan. There would still be long-term fuel storage issues, however. It all makes for great fear stoking and dooms day book selling.
    Too Soon Old, Too Late Smart

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    You can’t really compare the Chernobyl and Fukushima plants with American designed systems. .......... It all makes for great fear stoking and dooms day book selling.
    Our plants can be shut down safely, . . . with no problem, . . . I don't doubt that for one moment.

But because the EMP took out the grid, . . . and it will be months at least before they are back up and running, . . . I fear the intervening time.

Food will be short, . . . no gasoline, . . . no police protection, . . . full marshal law where it can be enforced, . . . thugs both running wild, . . . and dying by the dozens every day, . . . and no doubt, there will be other things come into play that would scare the bejeebers out of us if we knew them today.

But the book sellers can smoke cuban stogies, sip french wine, and eat expensive caviar while they discuss who actually hit the scenario on the head the best, . . . (yeah), . . . (right).

May God bless,
    Dwight
    stevekozak and Annie like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The Good Cop

In my 70+ years, I have quite literally dodged death on numerous occasions.

When God is ready to call me home, it shall be done. And since I don't know when that will be, I don't waste time worrying about it. It's beyond my control.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    You can’t really compare the Chernobyl and Fukushima plants with American designed systems. While there may well be vulnerabilities with the American plants, the failure scenarios are much fewer, operator and support staff training and emergency response is quite superior and controlled shutdown capabilities are much better developed. I’m not saying that we couldn’t have any negative impacts at our nuke plants from an EMP, but not at the chaotic and catastrophic proportions seen in Russia and Japan. There would still be long-term fuel storage issues, however. It all makes for great fear stoking and dooms day book selling.
    This guy (Matthew Stein ,RIP) said these nuclear facilities generally have a three month energy supply on hand to keep the systems cooing in the event of an emergency shutdown. Assuming the event was an actual EMP, who's to say the government could keep deliveries going on a timely basis, especially if this happens on a wide scale? I'd hope they could,but given the enormity of the responsibility who could actually rely on that?
    Camel923 likes this.

Per Annie: "these nuclear facilities generally have a three month energy supply on hand"

That reminds me of an old science fiction program I was watching, could have been The Twilight Zone. The public was told that in the event of Soviet attack, there was food and shelter already provided. When the last few survivor stragglers found the shelter, there was food--case after case of saltine crackers.

You know the old canard, "Split your knees, duck your head and kiss your ass good-bye..."
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

Any Nuclear-related event is very unlikely to happen here. There are only two active nuclear power plants in my country (with a third being built), and I live thousands of kilometers away from it. Of course there would be problems with it in case of an EMP, but at such distance, radiation would not likely affect me.
    Last edited by Yavanna; 05-19-2019 at 12:23 PM.

I don't know about an emp, but an earthquake and nuclear power plants could be a scary and I believe far more likely combination. I'm sure the plants where constructed with this in mind but there are several in proximity to the New Madrid fault line. I'm not particuarly worried about a nuclear meltdown but then again I don't have one in my backyard or anywhere near my backyard.
    Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links