Post EMP, 400 chernobyls? - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post EMP, 400 chernobyls?

This is a discussion on Post EMP, 400 chernobyls? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; @ Annie , I have read this before. Thanks for the reminder. At my age, and given the time it would take to develop a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Post EMP, 400 chernobyls?

@Annie , I have read this before. Thanks for the reminder. At my age, and given the time it would take to develop a cancer, coupled with the likelihood that if nukes are going off, cancer would be the least of my worries, this remedy would most likely be wasted on me. The uptake, Like everything else we do to be prepared, does not guarantee survival, it just enhances the probabilities. I like to stack the odds in my favor however, where ever I can.

You, on the other hand, have kids. Potassium Iodide would be essential for them should they survive the initial strike or there is nuclear plant meltdown.
    Annie likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Yeah, me too. The forum has a really good resource here, thanks to @Illini Warrior .

I'm thinking some sort of nuclear event is very highly probable and I've been putting off buying the potassium iodide. I'm thinking it's time to get some.
    Don't stop with an adequate supply of potassium iodine. You don't have to wear a tin foil hat like mine and buy hazard suits and masks, but you should stock at least 6 mil thick black rolls of poly and some gorilla duct tape. It would be used to seal off windows doors and any other areas where your residence could be breached by any airborne fallout. You could also create a wash area.

I also would go a step further and build a faraday cage to store some valuable electronics. As we all know here, one can be made from a simple metal trashcan.
    Annie and Prepared One like this.
    I will choose to enjoy the journey that God has prepared for me. Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by A Watchman View Post
    Don't stop with an adequate supply of potassium iodine. You don't have to wear a tin foil hat like mine and buy hazard suits and masks, but you should stock at least 6 mil thick black rolls of poly and some gorilla duct tape. It would be used to seal off windows doors and any other areas where your residence could be breached by any airborne fallout. You could also create a wash area.

I also would go a step further and build a faraday cage to store some valuable electronics. As we all know here, one can be made from a simple metal trashcan.
    Thanks @A Watchman a 'lil bit at a time. I keep chipping away at my supply lists.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

An EMP nuke would pose little or no radiation threat from particulate fallout, prevailing winds would carry it out to sea.
    From what my cousin, now passed, a top nuclear engineer, who worked at NES SELAMCO in NC
    told me that US electric power reactors have a fail safe operation operation called SCRAMMING used on closed loop steam reactors..
    It is an emergency forced shutdown of the core by rapidly putting in the present and ready control rods takes less that a minute to do, ending the reaction between pellet rod bundles.
    They can be dropped remotely or if needed manually to stop the core reaction.
    Those huge inverted cones cool the clean water passed through the cores sealed heat exchanger then back through, they will give you an idea of the amount of heat generated by the core.

These are closed loop systems with water circulating between the core and the heat exchanger then passed into the venturi style cooling towers.
    Fukashima never had a chance to control the reactor shutdown in one core, it cooked off without the graphite control put in in place.
    Russian reactors consistently came up short on safety protocol and shutdown methods,
    bypassing manual for automatic systems that were prone to failure, there a few subs resting on the bottom of the ocean from that folly.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 05-29-2019 at 05:22 AM.
    Denton likes this.

An EMP does scare me, but its better than a Chernobyl.
    Fukashima was a GE design... But Mother Nature was stronger. They got hit hard.
    Chernobyl was a horrific event. Still to this day bad.
    KIDDofSPEED - GHOST TOWN - Chernobyl Pictures - Kidofspeed - Elena

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links