Post EMP, 400 chernobyls? - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Post EMP, 400 chernobyls?

This is a discussion on Post EMP, 400 chernobyls? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide I don't know about an emp, but an earthquake and nuclear power plants could be a scary and I believe far ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Post EMP, 400 chernobyls?

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NotTooProudToHide View Post
    I don't know about an emp, but an earthquake and nuclear power plants could be a scary and I believe far more likely combination. I'm sure the plants where constructed with this in mind but there are several in proximity to the New Madrid fault line. I'm not particuarly worried about a nuclear meltdown but then again I don't have one in my backyard or anywhere near my backyard.
    Well, an earthquake would presumably be regional. So the supplies needed to keep the thing cooled and from blowing upcould be shipped from another part of the country. If on the other we get socked with an EMP, then depending on how much of the country is effected, we're screwed.

This is actually something that really concerns me. Besides an EMP, there are other ways to negatively impact a nuclear power plant that are on my mind. Terrorist attack, natural phenomenon like earthquakes or tsunami's, societal breakdown or financial breakdown that prevents workers or supplies making it to the plants. In my opinion just about every scenario could potentially cause trouble for our nuclear facilities, even if it is local.

Thanks for posting this Annie. This reminded me that I want to get a supply of potassium iodide to have on hand. I live on the east coast just outside the 10 mile radius of a nuclear plant and Cumbre Vieja in the Canaries is of particular concern to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands for potassium iodide?
    Annie likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    Thanks for posting this Annie. This reminded me that I want to get a supply of potassium iodide to have on hand. I live on the east coast just outside the 10 mile radius of a nuclear plant and Cumbre Vieja in the Canaries is of particular concern to me. Does anyone have any suggestions on brands for potassium iodide?
    Yeah, me too. The forum has a really good resource here, thanks to @Illini Warrior .

I'm thinking some sort of nuclear event is very highly probable and I've been putting off buying the potassium iodide. I'm thinking it's time to get some.
    Green Lilly likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

So are the control systems/electronics inside a nuke plant designed to survive an EMP?

If not, it don't matter how much back up power you have, things will stop working.........

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    So are the control systems/electronics inside a nuke plant designed to survive an EMP?

If not, it don't matter how much back up power you have, things will stop working.........
    My limited understanding is--correct me if I'm wrong--the idea is to keep the thing cooled down until everything's back up and running; as was the case with Japan.

ETA: depending on the extent of the EMP (in other words, how far reaching), that would be the determining factor as to whether or not it's gonna blow/burn up.
    Last edited by Annie; 05-21-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    My limited understanding is--correct me if I'm wrong--the idea is to keep the thing cooled down until everything's back up and running; as was the case with Japan.

ETA: depending on the extent of the EMP (in other words, how far reaching), that would be the determining factor as to whether or not it's gonna blow/burn up.
    So how do you , "control it", when the "controls" don't work?

Sort of like why your car stops running after an EMP, but the Nuclear Jeannie keeps running like the Enigizer Bunny, except without control or cooling....

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Trapper View Post
    So how do you , "control it", when the "controls" don't work?

Sort of like why your car stops running after an EMP, but the Nuclear Jeannie keeps running like the Enigizer Bunny, except without control or cooling....
    It's not a question of controlling the controls, rather it's a question of keeping the thing cool until life gets back to normal. If they can't keep it cool until then, we're outta luck. Check the video out at about @8:00

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lilly View Post
    This is actually something that really concerns me. Besides an EMP, there are other ways to negatively impact a nuclear power plant that are on my mind. Terrorist attack, natural phenomenon like earthquakes or tsunami's, societal breakdown or financial breakdown that prevents workers or supplies making it to the plants. In my opinion just about every scenario could potentially cause trouble for our nuclear facilities, even if it is local.

Ordering some up today. This guy has some good info.

Prepared One likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    Ordering some up today. This guy has some good info.

I have a stash of those packets. My wife just looked at me and shook her head. She doesn't get it, she would rather not think about nuclear.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    I have a stash of those packets. My wife just looked at me and shook her head. She doesn't get it, she would rather not think about nuclear.
    I understand how she feels. Let's hope we never have need of them.

Here's what one of the Amazon "top contributors" wrote. He doesn't mention where he got some of his info, (he says some's from the FDA) so I want to look into things like dosages:

like the professional way these ioSAT brand Potassium Iodide tablets are packaged. Each packet has 14 tablets, which equals 14 adult daily doses. Each tablet is individually foil-wrapped in a packet. This is great for keeping track of how many you've taken. I have one packet for each member of the family, and if an emergency arises, it will be easy to keep track of who took his/her supplement.

I thought I'd post some basic information on Potassium Iodide as an emergency supplement:

The thyroid gland uptakes iodine from the bloodstream. Radioactive iodine is one of the most common of the radionuclides that may be released by nuclear fallout. If it is ingested or inhaled, the radioactive iodine will be taken up by the thyroid, greatly increasing the risk of thyroid cancer. To help avoid this, you want to saturate the body with a source of stable iodide. If the thyroid's iodine receptors are all "taken" by the non-radioactive iodide, the radioactive iodide will generally be excreted by the body.

The effectiveness of potassium iodide (KI) was proven after the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident. Some areas with heavy nuclear fallout after Chernobyl were NOT given potassium iodide supplements, and others were. Two decades later, studies show that the rate of thyroid cancer among populations given potassium iodide soon after the accident were the same as the rate among populations that were not affected by Chernobyl. However, populations that were affected by Chernobyl, but were not given the supplement, have shown epidemic experiences of thyroid cancer.

Note that potassium iodide cannot protect against any other causes of radiation poisoning. Dirty bombs, for example, produce radionuclides other than radioactive iodine.

WARNINGS:

1. There are risks if you take too large a dose of potassium iodide. Side effects include skin rashes, swelling of the salivary glands, and "iodism" (metallic taste, burning mouth and throat, sore teeth and gums, symptoms of a head cold, and sometimes stomach upset and diarrhea). In addition, it is of no use to take a larger dose. Your thyroid is able to hold only so much of the iodide, so to take more than your thyroid can "take" gives you the side-effects with no benefit.

It is not common, but people can have an allergic reaction to the supplement, and they'll have more serious symptoms, such as fever, joint pain, swelling of the face and/or body, and severe shortness of breath requiring immediate medical attention.

In even rarer circumstances, taking a potassium iodide supplement can cause overactivity of the thyroid gland, underactivity of the thyroid gland, or enlargement of the thyroid (goiter).

The probability of side-effects increases with age, particularly after age 40.

2. Time is of the essence. You DO start your potassium iodide supplement as soon as public health authorities advise. However, it is a waste to take the supplement if it is not needed and higher side-effect risk to take the supplement for longer than the recommended time, unless the public health authorities have actually said that you should continue. The side effects listed under number 1 may hold true for extended use as well as excess dosages. The standard treatment period, if you are in an area exposed to nuclear fallout, is 10 days.

3. The potassium iodide in iodized salt is the correct form of iodide. Trace amounts of it have been added to salt in the U.S. since 1924. The purpose is to reduce the incidence of the simple goiter (swelling of the thyroid gland). Worldwide, over 90% of treatable cases of goiter are caused by an iodine deficiency.

HOWEVER, the amount of potassium iodide in iodized salt is so small that you would have to consume 160 tablespoons of salt DAILY to secure the 130 mg/day adult dose for radioactive iodide protection.

FDA RECOMMENDED DOSAGE OF POTASSIUM IODIDE FOR RADIOLOGICAL EMERGENCIES:

AGE and MG per day
    Age less than 1 month old ...............16 MG per day
    Age 1 month - 36 months old .............32 MG per day
    Age 3 years - 12 years old ..............65 MG per day
    Age 12 - 18 years who weigh less than 150 pounds ..... 65 MG per day
    Age 12 - 18 years who weigh more than 150 pounds .....130 MG per day
    Adults over 18 years old ................ 130 MG per day

Pregnant or lactating women take the same adult MG dose as usual. However, it is recommended that they remove themselves from the radioactive risk area as quickly as possible so that they can stop the daily dose as soon as possible. (Well, I think that goes for everybody!) This is to lessen the risk of blocking fetal thyroid function with excess iodine.
    The FDA does recommend that adults over 40 only take the potassium iodide supplement if the radioactive exposure is relatively high, but I know for myself (I'm over 40) that I would probably accept the risk of side-effects and take the supplement, if adults under 40 are told to take them.
    The protective effect of a potassium iodide supplement lasts about 24 hours. The dose needs to be taken daily, and at about the same time of day each time.
    Potassium iodide pills can be split, as needed.

The standard dosage period is 10 days. Please note that the 10 day period is based on an important assumption - that 10 days is enough time for evacuation. There are people who live and work in areas contaminated by Chernobyl who have been taking KI supplements for decades. It's not that they are safe from radioactivity, but they are protected from radioactive iodine.

SOME NOTES ON AVAILABLE SUPPLEMENTS:

Potassium iodide is a supplement, not a drug. It has not been tested or approved by the FDA the way a drug is tested before being sold to the public. Usually, the FDA does not allow supplements to make health claims on their bottles or in their advertising. However, in the public interest, the FDA allows Potassium Iodide to state on its packaging and advertising that it is a "thyroid block", which means it stops the thyroid from uptaking a radioactive iodide.

There are many brands of potassium iodide (KI) available, and the FDA does not favor one brand above the other.

There are supplements, legally sold, with Potassium Iodate instead of iodide. The World Health Organization, allows both potassium iodide and potassium iodate as effective thyroid blocks. However, WHO recommends using iodide if possible because it is easier on the digestive track. That's a good enough recommendation of potassium iodide for me. I think the stress of being affected by nuclear fallout is quite enough; I don't need stomach upset on top of it!

The usual shelf life for a potassium iodide supplement is seven years. I purchased my first set of ioSAT tablets in July 2011 and they were manufacturer stamped with a 2018 expiration date. This is a review for
    Potassium Iodide Tablets, USP, 130mg
    Prepared One likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links