Hand Crank Radio - Page 3
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Hand Crank Radio

This is a discussion on Hand Crank Radio within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; an interesting question. I too was looking for it...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Hand Crank Radio

an interesting question. I too was looking for it

I was thinking of getting a hand crank radio too. Does anyone recommend the Kaito KA500?

Quote Originally Posted by evandaprepper View Post
    I was thinking of getting a hand crank radio too. Does anyone recommend the Kaito KA500?
    I like my KA600L.
    Whoever said, "Life is short" didn't understand it's the longest thing you're ever going to do.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

how long do you need to crank to make it work how long and also if the solar works?
    Check Out My Survival Youtube Channel
    Hidden Content

I bought a Crane hand crank solor AM/FM/Shortwave in 1993, the rechargable battery went completely out after about 10 years, but it still works with the crank.

Quote Originally Posted by chemikle View Post
    how long do you need to crank to make it work how long and also if the solar works?
    With a completely flat battery, you don't need to crank or use solar very long to bring it back to live. Rechargeable batteries get most of their charge at the beginning of the charge cycle, and slowly taper off accepting a charge. Typically, just 2-3 minutes of charging a dead battery will gain you several minutes of use.
    chemikle likes this.
    Whoever said, "Life is short" didn't understand it's the longest thing you're ever going to do.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by inceptor View Post
    It depends on what you want to listen to. The Baofeng will get you local 2 meter and 70 cm. A decent shortwave should allow you access to ham bands. You can go to the ARRL website and get a list of the frequencies for each of the bands. Here is the link that will allow you to print it.

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regul...17%20Color.pdf

ETA: When things get ugly, shortwave will be your best bet for distance news. You'll get other countries and can still get the ham bands. 20, 40 and 80 meter bands will probably have the most info. 2 meter and 440/70cm are local to you and might be tough on SW as the transmit on one freq and receive on another by way of a repeater. Being a ham myself, I've never tried local stuff on a SW radio.
    You missed an important point, for monitoring HF ham transmissions you need a radio equipped with upper and lower side band.
    Plus a BFO if you want the CW or use it to mouse around to get some of the USB..
    A lot of commercial and all government stations run side band today (usually USB) and an AM only receiver is useless.
    Whatever radio is chosen in the HF region, a 50 foot end fed long wire is needed to make it work properly,
    attach it directly to the built in one, keep at least 3 feet off the ground, better at 50 feet up.
    Understand, a lot of cheap multi band radios have commercial HF bands but no amateur ones
    I work 20 and 40 meters voice and RTTY, have for 60 years, run 2KW when needed, normally 100-800 watts.
    One thing I have added to my HF radios is DSP to blank out the noise.

For a commercial hand crank I have a Freeplay and one other.
    I also have USGI hand cranked generators.
    Last edited by SOCOM42; 05-17-2019 at 10:09 PM.
    inceptor likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SOCOM42 View Post
    You missed an important point, for monitoring HF ham transmissions you need a radio equipped with upper and lower side band.
    Plus a BFO if you want the CW or use it to mouse around to get some of the USB..
    A lot of commercial and all government stations run side band today (usually USB) and an AM only receiver is useless.
    Whatever radio is chosen in the HF region, a 50 foot end fed long wire is needed to make it work properly,
    attach it directly to the built in one, keep at least 3 feet off the ground, better at 50 feet up.
    Understand, a lot of cheap multi band radios have commercial HF bands but no amateur ones
    I work 20 and 40 meters voice and RTTY, have for 60 years, run 2KW when needed, normally 100-800 watts.
    One thing I have added to my HF radios is DSP to blank out the noise.

For a commercial hand crank I have a Freeplay and one other.
    I also have USGI hand cranked generators.
    I keep saying someday I'm going to add the extra power to my rig. Someday. Yeah getting out on just 100w doesn't do that well. I can listen but few far away can hear me.

I used to be on a net occasionally and sometimes I could be heard in Utah, other times, not so much. Someday.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links