question on land/powerlines
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on question on land/powerlines within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; hello, i live in eastern indiana and have been looking at land for homesteading purposes. there is a 27 acre parcel available for 69k. i ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: question on land/powerlines

hello,

i live in eastern indiana and have been looking at land for homesteading purposes. there is a 27 acre parcel available for 69k. i have not viewed it, but the pictures show large powerlines going thru the center of the property.

i would imagine that is why the price is low and the listing has been on the market for 209 days.

are the powerlines a health concern? or are they safe for living under/around and just a visual deterrent?

thanks for your imput

david

Quote Originally Posted by david337 View Post
    hello,

i live in eastern indiana and have been looking at land for homesteading purposes. there is a 27 acre parcel available for 69k. i have not viewed it, but the pictures show large powerlines going thru the center of the property.

i would imagine that is why the price is low and the listing has been on the market for 209 days.

are the powerlines a health concern? or are they safe for living under/around and just a visual deterrent?

thanks for your imput

david
    The power company is going to have right of way/easement where they can drive equipment through and possibly add more utilities. I would have a look at the deed to see what the easement details are (how wide, etc...). You won't be able to plan on anything permanent in the easement and power companies often use herbicides on vegetation within.

I'm not sure how close you would need to be to the electric field to have health concerns? Walking close to the lines with a compass will give you an idea how close you need to be to have a strong field.
    Slippy likes this.

Super Moderator

The interwebs is a wonderful thing.

Michael R

Assuming the information you find is correct.
    Hidden Content
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Meanwhile You're holding the cell phone up to your ear...…….
    Slippy, Denton, Old SF Guy and 1 others like this.

thank you. great article

@david337

First off, are these lines Power TRANSMISSION Lines or Power DISTRIBUTION Lines?

Big difference. Transmission lines are High Voltage and carry power from the plant to a city (for example). They are larger in structure.

Distribution Lines are smaller and lower in voltage and carry power to the end user (usually).

Having Distribution lines on your property may save you some money if you want to tap into them.

Having Transmission lines may cause more of a hassle as the power company will have an easement and like Mad Trapper pointed out, they can and will bring in heavy equipment to maintain these lines and that will most likely cause you a problem.

My neighbor has a Gas Pipeline easement on his property and when Colonial Gas brings in equipment to maintain it, they don't do it half ass. I';m talking big heavy stuff that makes a big mess and a huge noise for a day or two.

That section of his land is un-useable as the owner monitors the pipeline via satelite images. Hence he cannot build structures or grow crops etc on the easement portion that the pipeline company owns. That is probably the case in your situation if the lines are transmission lines

Bottom LINE (HA get it? ) DO YOUR HOMEWORK! Check with the County and State for laws and it might be worth your while to hire a Real Estate Attorney and skip the Real Estate Agent and let the attorney represent you....BUT, I MAY NOT HAVE MENTIONED THIS...DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
    Mad Trapper and Prepared One like this.

All spot on comments already. Do power lines cause health issues? Big question if you are a tree hugger you say with out a doubt they do. Others say no you have to weight the arguments. Make sure you fully understand the easement. Not what you think is should be but what it is.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I lived near some way, way back in the day. You could hear them humming when you were up close. I wouldn't want to live close by them. The field where the transmission lines traversed through was leased by a dairy farmer for a seasonal pasture. If you want to fence it, you'll need to put up wide gates for the power company's right of way. You sure wouldn't want them tearing down your fence when they come, which they WILL do. The width of the right of way probably is different from state to state. I'd contact the power company to see what they say and then start checking with other authoritative offices. You could plant crops up to the right of way, maybe even more and take a chance they won't be in until after harvest time.
    And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him;... Genesis 16:12

At least once a year the power company patrols the large transmission power lines with helicopters. At very low, tree top level. Heard they are getting some complaints and starting using drones near the towns to cut down on noise. You aren't going to get away with anything near or around the power lines. So unless there is a corner with enough area to build or do what you want it's worthless.

little over $2.5K/acre for Central IN land - you sure there's nothing else going on besides those power lines? - I'd really check into the property restrictions that the power company might be imposing - around here there's no farming restriction for power lines and pipelines but all kinds of grief for windmills .....
    Last edited by Illini Warrior; 05-08-2019 at 01:14 PM.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links