Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum banner

Aldi's

6K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  AquaHull 
#1 ·
Do you guys shop at Aldi's? Omgosh, it's a prepper mama's heaven. I don't have one near me, but a work related chore has me going by one half hour away just about every other week. I highly recommend. Soups, .49c a can, mixed veggies, .49c a can.Other good things, too. My daughter and I picked up lots of stuff yesterday.

#2 ·
We have quite a few Aldi stores around here and it's in our rotation of stores we hit. It's great for basics like milk, eggs, butter, cheese, canned goods. Canned mandarin oranges is a favorite of one child. Their hard salami is pretty good as are the fresh pork chops and ground beef. The take and bake pizza is decent.

There are some things that just don't fly in this house and we simply get them elsewhere. Nobody here will touch the breads they make and both varieties of their bottled water taste terrible ( bad enough I used them for the dogs ).

#3 · (Edited)
Aldis will be seeing new Euro competition in your area of the country - new store chain coming across & starting up in the US - could see some even better $$$$$$$$$s

Aldis has been around the area sooo long they have saturated the market - they are like convenience stores - I have 6 stores within 15 minutes ....

#9 ·
We have Aldis here . I do not like the lay out or the limited options. Also They Do ban firearms but don't enforce it . I guess that is their way of being PC

#14 · (Edited)
Yes, I go to Aldi's, there is one a few miles from my house, and I have learned to use a quarter, to get a cart. Carrying around an armload of stuff, has proven to have drawbacks for me.
There are a lot of clods who go to Aldi and SAL, and that is something else that I have adapted to. If I need to, I will punch some manners into them.:devil:

[But, that has universal uses now-a-days, punching I mean; there seems to be something in America's water [or schools] called "stupid stuff", or "stupid pills".]
[Well I have the antidote on me.]

#25 ·
We have em wall to wall in this area. I tried to buy a box of rasin bran one day and from the looks of the check out line it would take an hour to get though..so I just sit it down over in the sea food section and walked out like I was mad Aint been back since and that was about 10 years ago. The place aint normal.

#26 ·
We have as many Aldi's as McDonald's here in Houston I think. They seem to be on every corner. I tried them when they first opened a few years ago and didn't care for it. You want a quarter for what???? Maybe I give them another look.

#27 ·
Years ago Aldis came here and I gave them a try. Paying for carts and bringing my own bags was a real turnoff. Standing in line forever to checkout really sucked. And their off-brand foods I tried didn’t really taste very good. In all fairness, checkout times at the local Walmart are also very long so maybe that negative is a wash. If you need to save every penny possible, then Aldis may be an option for you. Me? I’ll pass.

#29 ·
Years ago Aldis came here and I gave them a try. Paying for carts and bringing my own bags was a real turnoff. Standing in line forever to checkout really sucked. And their off-brand foods I tried didn't really taste very good. In all fairness, checkout times at the local Walmart are also very long so maybe that negative is a wash. If you need to save every penny possible, then Aldis may be an option for you. Me? I'll pass.
I figure if and when the SHTF, something's sure gonna be better than nothing.

#28 ·
Nobody should ever buy food from Walmart! (Chinamart) Oh but wait ... we have jap crap lovers here so never mind.

Mmmm fish and shrimp from radio active Jap crap waters...

Yum lead covered toys for your kids to knaw on...

Oh boy American chickens sent to Jap crap for processing then sent back for your enjoyment.....

#32 ·
One thing Aldis will have going for it is when the Roaming Hordes start looting stores immediately after SHTF, they'll all be at Costco and Sams Club plus national chains like Kroeger and H-E-B.

#33 ·
When the roaming hordes start looting, I'll be hunkered down with my cheap canned foods, carb-laden foods and bottled meats.

Okay, here's a question for any of you guys who say their foods are too cheap: what do you put in your food storage? Aren't all shelf stable foods low quality, more or less?

#40 ·
I only stock things we'll eat now in rotation so some things only get one go.

Their canned corn and canned peaches are good enough. Their canned green beans have been scratched in favor of Del Monte. I have Aldi canned kidney beans and canned potatoes which seem just fine to me. I've previously said the canned mandarin oranges are well liked here (I've never tried those).

I've tried their canned ham once and it went in the trash.

For canned meat I go with Keystone which locally can be had at the evil Walmart. Five year shelf life, simple ingredients, and their beef chunks are pretty good (haven't opened the chicken yet because I still have a stack of Sam's Club chicken from before they closed up shop here). I like Yoder canned beef a whole lot better, but the price on Yoder products is a no go. We don't stock canned ham or tuna and the peasants here would revolt if I so much as mentioned spam.

I like the locked carts - they aren't left all over the parking lot, they don't get beat up, and it helps keep costs down.

At least here, Aldi has bags at the checkout you can purchase with your groceries - paper or re-usable. They also have the fastest checkers of anywhere around - they simply don't keep anyone who can't run the register fast. Even when there is a line here you get out in just a few minutes. Heck, they even add another cashier when it starts to back up unlike a lot of other places.

#42 ·
I get my bottled water from Farm and Fleet (Nature's Crystal brand) or from Walmart (their president's choice or whatever their Sam's club line is). We actually like the Walmart water taste better, but Farm and Fleet is much cheaper, tons easier to get through (drive through pickup of online orders for the win!), and isn't a scumbag company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.