Solo prepping for a family
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Solo prepping for a family within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Is anyone else in the same boat as me. Prepping for a family that doesn't want to get involved because they care more about where ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Solo prepping for a family

Is anyone else in the same boat as me. Prepping for a family that doesn't want to get involved because they care more about where the Kardashians went on vacation or how many likes so and so has or just cant because the mere mention of anything remotely related to preparedness or a disaster, big or small scares them?
    budgetprepp-n and RedLion like this.

Well, I am in the same boat but because spouse doesn't think anything can ever happen and even if it did happen,
    the government is here to help. The proof of Katrina doesn't really sway her. The only good thisg is that as long
    as I do it slowly, she doesn't have a spasm about it. But it would certainly help things if she at least understand
    that something can happen. I guess she is in a atate of denial.
    RedLion and Denton like this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Its very frustrating! My wife has anxiety attacks and heart issues so i cant talk to her about it. The only one who participates and knows is my son and I. My daughters and wife and even oldest son could care less. Also the fact that currently my bug out location is far away doubles my stress.
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GHOST01 View Post
    Is anyone else in the same boat as me. Prepping for a family that doesn't want to get involved because they care more about where the Kardashians went on vacation or how many likes so and so has or just cant because the mere mention of anything remotely related to preparedness or a disaster, big or small scares them?
    My advice is to stop calling it PREPPING and start preaching the old Boy Scout Motto of BE PREPARED

Let your wife and family know that your job is make sure that they are taken care of in case MURPHY makes an unannounced visit. https://www.thoughtco.com/murphys-la...truths-2832861

Include things that make HER life easier...an extra Lug Wrench for the cars...an extra case of TP per month...an extra few cans of soup everytime you go the store...candles, matches etc

Then when a small little thing like the power goes out due to a storm, you bring out the goods and you are the hero!

You get the picture but stop using the phrase PREPPER, because of that dipshit show a few years ago it creates negative emotion...

Good luck

Plan as best you can. Those who are not interested may not make it. Harsh but true. Get what you think is necessary and have it packed and ready to go. That includes back packs which stuff may have to be discarded if one can not physically hack it. Having a s much propositioned as possible would be a bonus. Good luck.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

I’m in the same boat. Wifey thinks prepping is crazy. But she sure likes it when we run out of some item and I have extra on the basement shelf. We had two significant power outages this winter. She also didn’t complain that we had electricity and TV when the rest of the neighborhood was dark. I also use an unpowered, hand fed coal stove for winter heat. Our house was toasty when others were cold and worried about pipes freezing. So I just continue to do what I do, and ignore her jabs about my prepping. My extra medical preps have also come in handy a time or two. So just keep on plugging away. If you ever really need your stores, you (and your family) will be damned glad you have them.
    bigwheel likes this.

You're right Slippy. Me being a former boyscout ive tried to be prepared. I know that i cant plan for every contingency but making myself not do it is a problem. I never realy watched it. I call it prepping because you are truly never done. What you have is always in a constant state of being changed and refined. Im doing the best that i can. I have a sick wife, 4 kids and 2 grandbabies to think about and sometimes its overwhelming to think about all that i need to try to ensure my families survival.
    Denton and Slippy like this.

Hey, Welcome to the club. Just recently discussed getting a generator for back up power with the wife... Nawwwh! She ain't about no generator...Ain't no body got time for dat! We need to worry about getting ready to send kid 4 to college, pay off flooring, get new furniture....blah...blah...blah...

Now I'm starting on week 4 with no power in my RV Park, where I full time. But guess who bought a damn Generator anyway and has two old thumbs? This old SF guy!

My kids think living without cable sucked.

You know what you do? You do what any man with responsibilities does. You buy what you need too, you learn what you can, you plan the best your able, and when shit hits the fan, just remember that Nobody lives forever. And nobody is defined by what bad thing(s) happen to them....They are defined by what they become during and after those things.

Victim or survivor.... Scars? shit yes there will be scars....for you and them. Worrying about an upcoming battle doesn't change one single aspect of the battle to come. Plan for each aspect that you can fathom.

Its like a lawn mower engine that won't start at all. Only a couple core reasons... No fuel...or No fire.

Well as you face each action in any event... there's only a couple things you need to ask yourself...

What is the worst thing that can happen to me? What is the most likely thing that can happen to me? and how do I handle either of those?

Everything else is an action you take.

Two things I know....Curling up in the fetal position or running around with no clue will usually get you dead....and a 60% percent solution executed swiftly is usually better than a 100% solution executed late.

G'Luck.....never quite liked Idaho... Maybe it was just my having to work with the DOE out there....but....Well I really don't like places with few trees.
    Last edited by Old SF Guy; 04-22-2019 at 04:05 PM.
    Slippy, RedLion, Denton and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Hey, Welcome to the club. Just recently discussed getting a generator for back up power with the wife... Nawwwh! She ain't about no generator...Ain't no body got time for dat! We need to worry about getting ready to send kid 4 to college, pay off flooring, get new furniture....blah...blah...blah...

Now I'm starting on week 4 with no power in my RV Park, where I full time. But guess who bought a damn Generator anyway and has two old thumbs? This old SF guy!

My kids think living without cable sucked.

You know what you do? You do what any man with responsibilities does. You buy what you need too, you learn what you can, you plan the best your able, and when shit hits the fan, just remember that Nobody lives forever. And nobody is defined by what bad thing(s) happen to them....They are defined by what they become during and after those things.

Victim or survivor.... Scars? shit yes there will be scars....for you and them. Worrying about an upcoming battle doesn't change one single aspect of the battle to come. Plan for each aspect that you can fathom.

Its like a lawn mower engine that won't start at all. Only a couple core reasons... No fuel...or No fire.

Well as you face each action in any event... there's only a couple things you need to ask yourself...

What is the worst thing that can happen to me? What is the most likely thing that can happen to me? and how do I handle either of those?

Everything else is an action you take.

Two things I know....Curling up in the fetal position or running around with no clue will usually get you dead....and a 60% percent solution executed swiftly is usually better than a 100% solution executed late.

G'Luck.....never quite liked Idaho... Maybe it was just my having to work with the DOE out there....but....Well I really don't like places with few trees.
    Well said, my vote for post of the week.

Can I join this club.
    She doesn't scoff at me anymore, but thinks its' kind of silly even though she's ridden out the same earthquakes as me. She remembers watching on the news the devastation of the Northridge quake down in Cali 25 years ago, which was actually smaller than the Nisqually quake here in 2001.
    So I continue to prep in relative silence.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links