Alexa...... get out!
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alexa...... get out!

This is a discussion on Alexa...... get out! within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Glad I never bought into the concept. Seems employees are listening in. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...ou-tell-alexa/...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Alexa...... get out!

Alexa...... get out!

Glad I never bought into the concept. Seems employees are listening in.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...ou-tell-alexa/
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

The Good Cop

We never would have any of this type technology in our house.
    Nor have the latest craze to have "smart" appliances all hooked into what is called The Internet Of Things.

The computer I'm using at this moment, an HP with Windows 10, has Cortana. I have turned it off, I tried to get it completely removed, but I guess that is not possible.
    Slippy, Denton and Prepared One like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

That is so intrusive! I saw an Amazon commercial this week that shows they now allow you to take a screen shot of a chair you might want to buy and then open your camera and point it in the area you want that chair and it will give you a picture/video of what it will look like in your actual home. I have no doubt they will be scanning homes to get even more private details about a persons life.
    Kauboy, Denton and SGG like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

There is no way on earth you can have one of them in your home and not have it spying on you and delivering information on you to others. Just look at what all of the media companies have been doing. If you ar dum enough to have one. To lazy to pick a move, turn on the lights, live with it they are now and always will be recording everything you do and say.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

I've never had one of these devices in my home, and I've discouraged it when I see that others do.

That said, I would like to point out a distinction that *might* make a difference to those considering one of these devices.
    Amazon's Alexa does whatever Amazon wants it to do. We know these devices are always listening because they have to be keyed up by saying a specific phrase. No surprises. We also know that what you say is sent to a cloud service where the sound of your voice is interpreted into words, and then a function is performed. These recordings are saved, and Amazon claims full ownership of them. You have no rights to your own recordings.
    This is where Google differs. Yes, the Google Home device is still always on and listening. Yes they still send your voice recording to a cloud service to interpret, and yes they save those recordings. However, Google gives their customers full ownership of their recordings. You can go out to your personal account page, find every single thing that's ever been saved from you, and delete it all if you so choose.
    No, I trust Google about as much as I trust our first black president, Bill Clinton... so I don't really believe those recordings are the only copies that exist, but I have no evidence of that, just a feeling. (data is a gold mine, and they aren't likely to give it up) But, far too many have no idea that they can do this, so I'm sure there is a plethora of data out there to be mined that never gets cleaned up.

With the revelation that Amazon employees can tap directly into these devices, I think it's about time they all ended up in the trash heap. Google has likely been able to do this since the beginning, but was never dumb enough to say so.
    A Watchman and Prepared One like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

The Good Cop

One news article I read on this mentioned there is an employee “chat room” where they comment and joke about what they hear.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

Super Moderator

You are all off base on this one. As the story reads what they are talking about is the conversation recorded once you prompt Alexa. Not that they are hitting a switch and eavesdropping.

If you have an Alexa you have to control it from an app on your phone. Within your app you can look at all the prompts you gave Alexa like "Alexa play classic rock". Its the same type of thing you have for reading voicemails. These people are just transcribing what you say. So they have to listen to it.

Is Alexa recording everything? Maybe, but that's a different discussion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Old SF Guy likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Smart phones, smart meters, smart TVs, computers with voice and video capabilities, Alexa and other products/ideas are neutral but can be used for good or evil. Spying on Americans is done by corporate America and our government 24/7. If they would just but out of others privacy it would be much better IMHO.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

What is REALLY scary is if you have Alexa type devices around children.

Ask Alexa about LBGT issues and you will get a typical liberal/lbgt perspective, things like having two mommys or daddys is A O.K.!

Then ask Alexa who Jesus was? The result will shock you......

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    You are all off base on this one. As the story reads what they are talking about is the conversation recorded once you prompt Alexa. Not that they are hitting a switch and eavesdropping.

If you have an Alexa you have to control it from an app on your phone. Within your app you can look at all the prompts you gave Alexa like "Alexa play classic rock". Its the same type of thing you have for reading voicemails. These people are just transcribing what you say. So they have to listen to it.

Is Alexa recording everything? Maybe, but that's a different discussion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    So if an Alexa 'wakes up' when someone says 'Alexa', then how many got turned on when the TV or computer played the video?

Therein lies the rub. If the device 'thinks' you (or anyone... or anything like your TV) said 'Alexa', then it turns on and starts recording.

Sent from CherryBomb using MyFingers.
    It will be a great day when our schools have all the money they need, and politicians have to start selling candy bars and holding car washes to finance their campaigns.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links