Alexa...... get out! - Page 2
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alexa...... get out!

This is a discussion on Alexa...... get out! within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack So if an Alexa 'wakes up' when someone says 'Alexa', then how many got turned on when the TV ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Alexa...... get out!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    So if an Alexa 'wakes up' when someone says 'Alexa', then how many got turned on when the TV or computer played the video?

Therein lies the rub. If the device 'thinks' you (or anyone... or anything like your TV) said 'Alexa', then it turns on and starts recording.

Sent from CherryBomb using MyFingers.
    Mine has responded to a TV commercial where someone said "Alexa". But if it doesn't hear a question or command within a few seconds it goes dormant again.

I'm not saying this tech cant/isnt used for nefarious reasons. I'm just saying it's not the big boogeyman you are all making it out to be. The product itself isnt perfect. Sometimes I have to yell its name 2 or 3 times before it responds. Other times I say one thing and it hears something different.

And really this technology is no different than the cellphone in most peoples pocket. It too can be turned on to listen. Same with cameras on laptops and tablets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Deebo likes this.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    ......... The product itself isnt perfect. Sometimes I have to yell its name 2 or 3 times before it responds. ......
    I can see why. If you look in a mirror, you could too.
    I gotta tell you.... that sounds like a terrible idea. When do we start?
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

You are all off base on this one. As the story reads what they are talking about is the conversation recorded once you prompt Alexa. Not that they are hitting a switch and eavesdropping.

If you have an Alexa you have to control it from an app on your phone. Within your app you can look at all the prompts you gave Alexa like "Alexa play classic rock". Its the same type of thing you have for reading voicemails. These people are just transcribing what you say. So they have to listen to it.

Is Alexa recording everything? Maybe, but that's a different discussion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I always say random stuff, so that if it ever is used....In discovery I can get all the other ramblings and prove insanity..... "Alexa....where are my space monkey balls?....Alexa can you tell me where my ball gag went?" Alexa...who is after me today.....
    Slippy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

And really this technology is no different than the cellphone in most peoples pocket. It too can be turned on to listen. Same with cameras on laptops and tablets.
    I would contest that it's a fair bit different. Your cellphone is a multi-function tool with the optional capability to use voice commands.
    These devices have a singular function. Listen to you and respond. Listening to you is not optional, or the entire function of the device is negated.
    A different device possessing a microphone does not make it equal to these devices.
    Slippy, Sasquatch and stevekozak like this.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

I'll never have such a foolish thing in my home. Ridiculous, what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I'll never have such a foolish thing in my home. Ridiculous, what I say.
    Double down if you have children

You see They have admitted to recording conversation with you know it and still people do not except it.
    Slippy and stevekozak like this.
    New life as a house husband, major shift in duties.

Karl Marx said, "Destroy their culture, rewrite their history. Ruin their art and literature, and defame their heroes, by offering fabrications to scandalize that which they considered good.
    After reading this Obama said I am on it.

Now, . . . somebody tell me just how cheap it is to have Alexa or the "other" bot turn on the outside light in the back yard so your kid can practice soccer shots at 4 in the morning.

I've done electrical work since 1964, . . . and never did install one of them $1.29 SPST light switches under the Ivory single gang covers that would listen to a bot.

And where do you stop??

Alexa, . . . turn on the light in the upper left corner of the cellar so I can see if we have enough potatoes on the shelf to send the rover bot in to get them.

Alexa, . . . check the temperature of the half and half in the fridge, . . . see if it is cold enough to make the caramel for the ice cream, . . . and while you are at it, . . . see if we have enough vanilla ice cream for the 12 people coming over tonight.

Sheesh...........

May God bless,
    Dwight
    Slippy and Mad Trapper like this.
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.

If you can read, . . . thank a teacher.

If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Sorry, anyone who willingly puts one of these devices in their homes needs a reality check. How much better is it that the people you intend to control and enslave oblige you by climbing into the rail car themselves and closing the door. 1984.
    Slippy, stevekozak and Mad Trapper like this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kauboy View Post
    I would contest that it's a fair bit different. Your cellphone is a multi-function tool with the optional capability to use voice commands.
    These devices have a singular function. Listen to you and respond. Listening to you is not optional, or the entire function of the device is negated.
    A different device possessing a microphone does not make it equal to these devices.
    But an Alexa only listens when it is prompted to. Could they flip a switch back at HQ and listen in without you knowing? Yes, most likely. But so could your cellphone provider/maker. I say same thing.
    First you have to give up. First you have to know, not fear, know that someday you're going to die.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links