Is "bugging out" really the smart thing to do? - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Is "bugging out" really the smart thing to do?

This is a discussion on Is "bugging out" really the smart thing to do? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I am prepared to move in the event of a major wheather event, chemical spill, etc. although I chose to stay during Harvey. I have ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Results 41 to 49 of 49
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: Is "bugging out" really the smart thing to do?

  1. #41
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,124
    I am prepared to move in the event of a major wheather event, chemical spill, etc. although I chose to stay during Harvey. I have plenty of cash and a couple BOB’s and GHB’s in each vehicle. I can be loaded up with food, water, clothes, first aid, and weapons in 20 minutes or so if I have a vehicle and even less if I am forced to hoof it. As I live on the gulf coast, this was one of the first considerations when preparing.

    It would take one hell of an event to get me to bug out but I am prepared to do so if forced.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

  2. #42
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Beautiful Four Corners, Farmington NM
    Posts
    4,198
    Excellent, and no feelings were hurt making this thread...
    I am also "staying put"..
    This month, I am getting of propane and going to Natural Gas. The bill is killing me. ( I may start another thread).
    Next year with taxes I will look at getting a well dug.
    Security- wife and me, son is approaching thirteen, and will be getting hunter safety course with his ten YO sister soon.
    @Green Lilly , I like the way you think. Having steps, and making goals. Keep at it, and keep us posted.
    Green Lilly likes this.
    RIP Corporal BRADLEY COY 6/18/1992-10/24/2014

  3. #43
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    306
    Quote Originally Posted by MaterielGeneral View Post
    Curiosity: Is there anyone that believes there is anything that will not make them bug out?
    people that are seriuosly disabled or are very sick/diseased are very unlikely to bug out. Most will not last long trying to bug out, so it is better to stay put.
    I believe the only too things you cannot resist are floods and fire. If you live in an urban area like I do, an out of control fire, even it small would quickly spread. Say emergency services were not working or were overburdened with calls, you do have to leave your place.
    Denton, StratMaster and stevekozak like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #44
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    148
    Most people should have a plan for bugging in, but bugging out is a sense of adventure and that is what inspires a lot of people. I have a plan to ‘bug in’. Worse comes to worse I will bug out to a piece of land I own, food, garden, livestock, etc. Clear view all the way around it and fairly isolated. Not far away from where I live. House on the property so not too worried. Have a group of like minded people or family members that can help you out, they don’t have to a prepper, but if anyone that is a nurse, doctor, mechanic, farmer, etc would be of great value to a group. There are many more.

    Big thing is to have supplies in your house or apartment to ride out natural disaster and brain storm what you would do if you had to bug out. Hopefully you have friends that could take you in but they probably wont be in any better shape than you are in.

    If it was over 3 months without function of public services, electricity, sewer etc, I would be very wary about helping anyone. I myself would probably be in just as tight of a spot as anyone bugging out for the ‘hills’. They wont be prepared like they should.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #45
    Member


    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by pakrat View Post
    My wife and I are committed and invested in staying in place. We are prepared to bug out if necessary, but only as a last choice. The one thing that disturbs me is that our home is a wood frame structure and very poor from a defensive perspective. The walls will not stop bullets very well at all. We have picture windows and slider doors. Plus the house can easily be burned to the ground. Even a good fence won’t stop someone from tossing a cocktail onto our roof. I would imagine a lot of people are in a similar situation.
    Eh... 99% of the population is in the same boat. Besides, unless you can establish a secure perimeter then what's inside that perimeter is about as vulnerable as anything else.
    Denton likes this.

  7. #46
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Cadillac Area, Michigan
    Posts
    2,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Yavanna View Post
    people that are seriuosly disabled or are very sick/diseased are very unlikely to bug out. Most will not last long trying to bug out, so it is better to stay put.
    I believe the only too things you cannot resist are floods and fire. If you live in an urban area like I do, an out of control fire, even it small would quickly spread. Say emergency services were not working or were overburdened with calls, you do have to leave your place.
    I know, there were a lot of, I am not bugging out comments and my statement was kind of directed towards those comments.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

  8. #47
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,124
    Staying put is your best bet in most scenarios. Security will be the issue. I have taken defensive measures at my home. It’s mostly brick, barb wire for perimeter protection, plenty of firepower and ammo, I have a pool and portable water pump to help with fire, so I can defend fine where I am short term, but security beyond that will be the problem. The idea is not to let them get into the neighborhood much less to my home.

    I plan on approaching a very select few of my neighbors after the event in order to form a more solid defensive posture. Security shifts, blocking streets, pool some resources, etc. I have a few already in mind, those that hunt, and I have spoken with. There a couple of neighbors however, I may just have to shoot right off the bat. It has it’s inharent flaws as does approaching your neighbors beforehand, but I consider it the best option.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

  9. #48
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Prepared One View Post
    Staying put is your best bet in most scenarios. Security will be the issue. I have taken defensive measures at my home. It’s mostly brick, barb wire for perimeter protection, plenty of firepower and ammo, I have a pool and portable water pump to help with fire, so I can defend fine where I am short term, but security beyond that will be the problem. The idea is not to let them get into the neighborhood much less to my home.

    I plan on approaching a very select few of my neighbors after the event in order to form a more solid defensive posture. Security shifts, blocking streets, pool some resources, etc. I have a few already in mind, those that hunt, and I have spoken with. There a couple of neighbors however, I may just have to shoot right off the bat. It has it’s inharent flaws as does approaching your neighbors beforehand, but I consider it the best option.

    you'll want everyone that's willing to be involved in a neighborhood defense - blocking off road entrances will be critical - obvious backyard walk thru areas as well >>>> that'll take cooperation along with the required manpower for watches and possible trouble at the roadblocks - a look of fierce deterrence is worth more anything - plus you might be surprised at the unknown skills & knowledge of some of those neighbors ....
    Prepared One likes this.
    I llini WarriorHidden Content

  10. #49
    Senior Member


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    9,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Illini Warrior View Post
    you'll want everyone that's willing to be involved in a neighborhood defense - blocking off road entrances will be critical - obvious backyard walk thru areas as well >>>> that'll take cooperation along with the required manpower for watches and possible trouble at the roadblocks - a look of fierce deterrence is worth more anything - plus you might be surprised at the unknown skills & knowledge of some of those neighbors ....
    That’s the plan. At least in the immediate aftermath. It would be an easy sell for mutual cooperation among most of the neighbors I have spoken with, both older and younger. After the Die off it may have to be renegotiated.
    stevekozak likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

 

 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Dispelling the Myth of "Bugging Out"
    By OwnerCSW in forum General Talk
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 11-07-2014, 08:02 PM
  2. "Bugging-out"
    By TG in forum Strictly Bug Out Bags
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-27-2014, 05:55 PM
  3. Is bugging out ever REALLY an option?
    By BigCheeseStick in forum General Talk
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 10-13-2013, 05:56 PM
  4. Do I really need a "Blow Out Bag?"
    By GTGallop in forum Food, Health and Fitness Survival
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 09-01-2013, 11:41 AM
Back to Top