please critique my plan
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

please critique my plan

This is a discussion on please critique my plan within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Context: I live 20 miles from midtown manhattan and work in manhattan. My wife and soon to be born baby stay at home. I am ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Camel923
  • 1 Post By HuntingHawk

Thread: please critique my plan

please critique my plan

Context:

I live 20 miles from midtown manhattan and work in manhattan. My wife and soon to be born baby stay at home. I am concerned with an airborne illness, chemical attack and nuclear attack. I think biggest risk is an attack while I am at work.

Basic plan:

I do not think we will be mobile with the baby so my plan is to have good enough gear to get home, have one adult be able to get outside if needed in contaminated air and keep mom and baby at home in a sealed room with plastic sheets. i will have a decon room for the adult that needs to go outside before returning to the sealed room.

Gear:

- I currently own DuPont tyvek 1414 suit, disposable elastic and A. Sundstrom H05-5421S Pandemic Flu Respirator Kit with SR 100 S/M Silicone Half Mask, P100/HE Particulate Filter and Prefilters with extra filters of Sundstrom H02-3721 SR 232 Organic Vapor/Acid Gas Chemical Cartridge OV/SD/CL/HC/HF AND SR 64 Protective Tyvec Hood

I am told this may not be good enough for most chemical attacks and i should upgrade to this:

-Lakeland tychem level b br400 suit
    -3m powerflow face-mounted 6900 pf papr

My questions:

1. Am i ignorant or is it reasonable to assume that mom and baby will be safe in a sealed room (with air hand crank) in most chemical and airborne viruses? Is it a mistake to have only one expensive papr mask? I do not see a reason to buy two if baby wont be safe outside. We are not going to ditch the baby.

2. do you agree that i should upgrade to the papr and chemical suit? if you could, please mention your credentials when answering this question. i hope that is not offensive but i do not want to risk my familys safety because of bad advice.

3. i have no experience with chemical suits or paprs. Space and the ability to walk 20 miles is an issue with my get home bag. Are these two items reasonable to be in a get home bag in this scenario?

4. Can anyone suggest literature or online resources on how to properly seal a room or make a decon room? thank you.

Thank you.

Manhattan, Kansas is a great place. I wouldn't worry too much.

But in the slim very small chance that you are stupid enough to live in Manhattan, NYC? Then sadly, sir, you are in a heap o' trouble. Best bet is to move. Thanks

Unless your ready for Chernobyl, a nuclear attack would be difficult to survive. Bio or chemical, Find some army surplus stuff to keep with you or with in arms reach downtown. Mask, pants, boots, gloves, trousers, jacket. Be prepared to fight off those who are going to try to take it from you. Good luck in NYC getting a permit. For 20 miles you will need a way to safely hydrate.
    Slippy likes this.
    Blessed be God, my rock who trains my hands for battle, my fingers for war. Psalms 144:1

Victory can depend on a dog or a goose---Napoleon

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

A J

20 mile walk is a long walk.

How about stashing a vehicle someplace that you feel would be reasonable, so you'd only need to walk to that vehicle?
    Maybe just park and take mass transit into the city, so your vehicle is outside the downtown area.

That is my only idea for you. I've been to NYC many many times on business, I feel for you, good luck.

AJ

Senior Member R.I.P.

Any place at work you can stash a bicycle, moped, etc as alternative transportation?

Sealed roof residents will eventually die from lack of oxygen. So you might research co2 scrubbers.

You will need a fresh chemical suit each time you go outside.

How long do you think it would take for a chemical attack or dirty bomb to be cleaned up before its safe to be outside?

How far is your home from a marina? A daysailer might be your choice.
    Go2ndAmend likes this.

Your real first problem is going to be getting off Manhatten. You don' say which way you're going, so it's tough to help. Still, you're going to be walking or riding for some time. That will not be fun while wearing a plastic suit and mask. This they found out on that episode of doomsday preppers where they tracked how long it took for preppers to get out of the city. It averaged 2 hours plus. So you're going to be in the suit for quite a while. Better make sure it's comfortable.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

Quote Originally Posted by Joe5858 View Post
    Context:

I live 20 miles from midtown manhattan and work in manhattan. My wife and soon to be born baby stay at home. I am concerned with an airborne illness, chemical attack and nuclear attack. I think biggest risk is an attack while I am at work.

Gear:

- I currently own DuPont tyvek 1414 suit, disposable elastic and A. Sundstrom H05-5421S Pandemic Flu Respirator Kit with SR 100 S/M Silicone Half Mask, P100/HE Particulate Filter and Prefilters with extra filters of Sundstrom H02-3721 SR 232 Organic Vapor/Acid Gas Chemical Cartridge OV/SD/CL/HC/HF AND SR 64 Protective Tyvec Hood

I am told this may not be good enough for most chemical attacks and i should upgrade to this:

-Lakeland tychem level b br400 suit
    -3m powerflow face-mounted 6900 pf papr

My questions:

2. do you agree that i should upgrade to the papr and chemical suit? if you could, please mention your credentials when answering this question. i hope that is not offensive but i do not want to risk my familys safety because of bad advice.

3. i have no experience with chemical suits or paprs. Space and the ability to walk 20 miles is an issue with my get home bag. Are these two items reasonable to be in a get home bag in this scenario?

4. Can anyone suggest literature or online resources on how to properly seal a room or make a decon room? thank you.

Thank you.
    #2 - You don't need a papr. all a papr has is a blower to help push air too you. It does not improve the filtration or extend cartridge life I do however recommended a full face respirator instead of the half face. (Organic Vapor/Acid Gas Chemical Cartridge OV/SD/CL/HC/HF) these are good filters. I use these at work for our people. - The tyvek suit is not much protection it is mainly to protect from dusts - the tychem suits offer more protection especially from liquids because of the coating on the suit material but if you plan to walk 20 miles in one.....good luck. They are hot as hell on the inside you will most likely suffer heat illness if you try it.
    Last edited by Box of frogs; 10-30-2014 at 04:54 PM.
    Hell, anyone can do that. Hold my beer and I'll show you

I object to attempting to survive in a contaminated environment. To me NBC gear is something to wear as i get clear. Protracted survival in a hazmat zone is difficult and expensive.

Look at a positive pressure system for the baby,. I think you can find equipment already made for incubators. Otherwise, get out if you can.

Sponsored Links