How long are you good for? - Page 4
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

How long are you good for?

This is a discussion on How long are you good for? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Elvis No stores, only fuel and food you've got in your on your property at 2000 calories per day. Streets are dangerous ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: How long are you good for?

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    No stores, only fuel and food you've got in your on your property at 2000 calories per day. Streets are dangerous and mostly blocked with dead cars. Trade is not an option for several months from a pandemic. The black plague lasted for 4 1/2 years ... Assuming all of your group was at home how long could you stay on your property?
    Without leaving my property:

a) At 2000 calories per day, we could last 4+ years
    b) Electricity to run well pump, fridge, freezer, stove, lights ... 1+ year (less if I run the two whole house air conditioners, 2+ years if I limit the hours per day I run the whole house gen set)
    c) Medical supplies and most medical situations would be 3+ years. The limit is my knowledge/training/skills as I'm not a belly cutter
    d) If my group joins me on my property, medical would be completely covered and years of food would go up slightly. Plus my group has other military fast movers

My biggest concern would be a large coordinated group of marauders
    Elvis and stowlin like this.

Well I have to tell you, sounds like you are set!!

Quote Originally Posted by SierraGhost View Post
    Without leaving my property:

a) At 2000 calories per day, we could last 4+ years
    b) Electricity to run well pump, fridge, freezer, stove, lights ... 1+ year (less if I run the two whole house air conditioners, 2+ years if I limit the hours per day I run the whole house gen set)
    c) Medical supplies and most medical situations would be 3+ years. The limit is my knowledge/training/skills as I'm not a belly cutter
    d) If my group joins me on my property, medical would be completely covered and years of food would go up slightly. Plus my group has other military fast movers
    Excellent. I figured 18-20 months would be the correct food build to level. 18-20 months would allow for a failed crop as we expanded the garden.
    We could easily go for 13 months with electricity, water, and 2000 calories per day.
    I'm also not medical but there is a RN nurse close by who has some food in her basement.

Lots of people here talk about what they bought or their new gun. But it's beginning to look like there aren't many actual preppers here. Not saying that a person needs 5 years worth of food, barrels of back up supplies in the woods, 40,000 rounds of ammo. But a year's worth of food and clean water and basic defense would be what I consider a prepper should strive for.
    Last edited by Elvis; 01-24-2019 at 06:50 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Banned

Not your wishes or best case scenarios. Using realistic scenarios with the stores all closed and a pandemic means no contact outside your immediate group.. How long are you and your group good for it SHTF happened now? Not tomorrow but now. No stores, only fuel and food you've got in your on your property at 2000 calories per day. Streets are dangerous and mostly blocked with dead cars. Trade is not an option for several months from a pandemic. The black plague lasted for 4 1/2 years.

Reports on the TV today, the next day all is shut down along with the electric grid, water and natural gas stops within a few days.

No easy way to melt lead for bullets or purifying water, no extra tampons for the lady, No Rambo movies on TV. Got preps for all that?

Assuming all of your group was at home how long could you stay on your property?
    I'm like Denton. I could go three months and maybe longer if we ration food. Bought into some heirloom seeds two years ago and put them in the fridge (don't know their shelf life.) We should be careful what we say about how long as if hoarding laws don't exist, they will.
    Denton likes this.

Not your wishes or best case scenarios. Using realistic scenarios with the stores all closed and a pandemic means no contact outside your immediate group.. How long are you and your group good for it SHTF happened now? Not tomorrow but now. No stores, only fuel and food you've got in your on your property at 2000 calories per day. Streets are dangerous and mostly blocked with dead cars. Trade is not an option for several months from a pandemic. The black plague lasted for 4 1/2 years.

Reports on the TV today, the next day all is shut down along with the electric grid, water and natural gas stops within a few days.

No easy way to melt lead for bullets or purifying water, no extra tampons for the lady, No Rambo movies on TV. Got preps for all that?

Assuming all of your group was at home how long could you stay on your property?
    How long as I good for?

Long enough that I am happy enough to smile...

but short enough for you that you don't want to be knocking on my door a begg-in for my beggin strips!

Name:  beggin-strips-coupon.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  51.9 KB
    Elvis, Denton and stevekozak like this.

Depends on the time of year. But not very long if food is cut off. I have no long term food preps beyond a few weeks. and then I revert to my skills to acquire food. One bad accident (broken bones, sickness) could very well end me in a matter of days.

Hunting/fishing will become a scarcity due to the immediate influx of others trying to do the same. Animals are smart and flee. I plan to supplement my diet of fish and vegitation, with the occasional murderer and marauder.

Name:  Fishing pond.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  129.4 KB
    Denton likes this.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Denton View Post
    A couple of hours ago I went to Walmart to buy several cases of canned veggies only to find the shelves cleared out. The heck? The only thing I could figure was that @MikeTango beat me to it.
    It's Can Can time....Shoprite! Do you have that down South?
    Denton likes this.
    "Who is She that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as a army set in battle array?"

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    Depends on the time of year. But not very long if food is cut off. I have no long term food preps beyond a few weeks. and then I revert to my skills to acquire food. One bad accident (broken bones, sickness) could very well end me in a matter of days.

Hunting/fishing will become a scarcity due to the immediate influx of others trying to do the same. Animals are smart and flee. I plan to supplement my diet of fish and vegitation, with the occasional murderer and marauder.

Name:  Fishing pond.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  129.4 KB
    Might be easier to pick up a bag of rice and a case of water here and there pre shtf.
    Denton likes this.
    "Who is She that comes forth as the morning rising, fair as the moon, bright as the sun, terrible as a army set in battle array?"

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Annie View Post
    It's Can Can time....Shoprite! Do you have that down South?
    No, ma'am. Not that I've ever seen.
    MikeTango likes this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by The Resister View Post
    I'm like Denton. I could go three months and maybe longer if we ration food. Bought into some heirloom seeds two years ago and put them in the fridge (don't know their shelf life.) We should be careful what we say about how long as if hoarding laws don't exist, they will.
    Seeds are what I really need to get.

As far as hoarding laws:

https://legalbeagle.com/7640872-fede...rding-law.html

You are right in saying we should observe COMSEC.
    StratMaster, MikeTango and Elvis like this.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links