Where should a newbie start or begin with prepping?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Where should a newbie start or begin with prepping?

This is a discussion on Where should a newbie start or begin with prepping? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I'm new to prepping and wanted advice on where, how and what's the best way to begin for a beginner or newbie like myself? My ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Where should a newbie start or begin with prepping?

Question Where should a newbie start or begin with prepping?

I'm new to prepping and wanted advice on where, how and what's the best way to begin for a beginner or newbie like myself? My situation isn't all that good to be frank. I live in the city so there's quite a good amount of population density to be concerned of if a major and serious crisis does happen, and I can't do a whole lot about it since I have to work and commute on a regular basis. I don't have a massive budget or anything for something such as buy some land far from the city, move to it and build a bunker or fallout shelter of some kind and stock with with supplies, food, equipment, etc. in case SHTF, thus I can't simply just move away and leave where I currently live. That just isn't practical or realistic for me and possibly many others as well, unless somehow I won the lottery or something, maybe. I also don't have a car either, been either using mostly a bike or public transportation on a regular basis, that's also not good either, I know.

And I'm aware prepping goes beyond merely just stockpiling and loading up on stuff. I'm looking for anything that is practical and realistic for my situation. I'm in the northeast side of the US in Massachusetts currently. At the moment I'm trying to put together my very first bug out bag, any advice on this pertaining to my situation would be much appreciated. What are the things I should and need to be prepared for and what are the most realistic and practical ways and methods I can be prepared for them according and within the limits to my current situation? is what I'm trying to figure out right now.
    bigwheel likes this.

You've got a bicycle. That's a start.look for a bicycle trailer for it.one for loading up for bug out situation. Just in case you have to bug out and able to.get a road map showing all the streets and hoprfully the alleys as well.then use it to plan your best bug out route's .you have a famliy member,relative, friend that'll let you show up in a shtf situation? Talk with them if you do...more importantly. Think for the here n now when it comes to where your living.stock up on whats needed.food water first aid supplies hygiene items.what weapon(s) you can legally have and afford. Might look your place over and decide on where to keep your preps.then rearrang what you already have.so you can hide your preps.even some can sit in thge opken.i gave candle lanterns and oil lamp in the open.in which they look more like decorations then anything else. Then there's flashlights rechatgable battries and at least one battery charger.

Being in the city will be tough. Being on the 31st floor of a high rise would be worse. A bike is good, a few routes to a safer place is better. A bike trailer is good if it won't draw too much attention to you. When planning for your bug out bag (BOB) think a 3 day camping trip and how to stay warm, dry and fed. It wouldn't be the worst idea to carry a get home bag with the minimums; knife, light, jerky etc.

If you are by yourself it could be good that you can move fast, but bad that you have nobody to watch your six. If you use the search function on this site, look up specific things, I'd bet you find hours of reading material to start making notes from.

Last piece of advice. Don't wait till next month to be putting ideas and things together. If you don't already, now is a good time to start thinking outside the box.

And finally, welcome to the site.
    Everybody seems to have a right, but who has any responsibility?

"It's better to keep your mouth closed and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" - Abe Lincoln

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Hey welocme from N. Texas. Think all prepping should start with guns and ammo. Whatcha got?

Grasshopper,

You should think harder about what being prepared really is...

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherNewbiePrepper View Post
    I'm new to prepping and wanted advice on where, how and what's the best way to begin for a beginner or newbie like myself? My situation isn't all that good to be frank. I live in the city so there's quite a good amount of population density to be concerned of if a major and serious crisis does happen, and I can't do a whole lot about it since I have to work and commute on a regular basis. I don't have a massive budget or anything for something such as buy some land far from the city, move to it and build a bunker or fallout shelter of some kind and stock with with supplies, food, equipment, etc. in case SHTF, thus I can't simply just move away and leave where I currently live. That just isn't practical or realistic for me and possibly many others as well, unless somehow I won the lottery or something, maybe. I also don't have a car either, been either using mostly a bike or public transportation on a regular basis, that's also not good either, I know.

And I'm aware prepping goes beyond merely just stockpiling and loading up on stuff. I'm looking for anything that is practical and realistic for my situation. I'm in the northeast side of the US in Massachusetts currently. At the moment I'm trying to put together my very first bug out bag, any advice on this pertaining to my situation would be much appreciated. What are the things I should and need to be prepared for and what are the most realistic and practical ways and methods I can be prepared for them according and within the limits to my current situation? is what I'm trying to figure out right now.

Joe

Welcome to the site Newbie. There is a lot of good info here. Just remember it will take you some time to learn the game and procure the things you need. Most important don't procrastinate and don't go public with your game. When SHTF happens folks will want to ride your coattails.

Welcome from Alabama

In a way, your situation simplifies things. I can see three scenarios you’ll need to deal with.

First, shelter in place at home.

Build water and food supply. Plan on no electricity. Alternate source of heat. Alternate source of light. You’ll need to stay informed so some sort of small am/fm radio. Security, a way to stay safe at home. First aid and meds. The list goes on...

Second, your home and city aren’t safe or will soon become unsafe. It’s time to leave.

Decide on several different places that will be safer that you know you can either bike to or hike to. Plan routes, secure maps, expect the unexpected. Assemble a bug out bag. You’re going to need to stay informed so you can make your decision to leave as early as possible. You’re going to need several ways to filter water on the go. The list goes on...

Third, you’re at work or commuting when SHTF.

Is there a place at work to keep emergency supplies? Your EDC (Every Day Carry) items will be extremely important! What if you can’t get back home before you have to leave the city? Save extra cash for cab ride out of town. Plan routes out of town from work. The list goes on...

Personally, I’d start with EDC items (this includes personal security stuff) and building up shelter in place supplies. Then I’d work on the BOB.

Start with what you worry about most. Break it down into manageable chunks.

Have you searched for prepper groups in your area? Are you a member of a church? Any coworkers you’d be able to trust and form a small team with? Dependable family members within reach?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I want to thank all of you for your input. I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by BookWorm View Post
    Being in the city will be tough. Being on the 31st floor of a high rise would be worse. A bike is good, a few routes to a safer place is better. A bike trailer is good if it won't draw too much attention to you. When planning for your bug out bag (BOB) think a 3 day camping trip and how to stay warm, dry and fed. It wouldn't be the worst idea to carry a get home bag with the minimums; knife, light, jerky etc.

If you are by yourself it could be good that you can move fast, but bad that you have nobody to watch your six. If you use the search function on this site, look up specific things, I'd bet you find hours of reading material to start making notes from.

Last piece of advice. Don't wait till next month to be putting ideas and things together. If you don't already, now is a good time to start thinking outside the box.

And finally, welcome to the site.
    I live on ground level and not in one of those high rise type of apartment complex, don't know if that's good news or not. I'm not sure if it counts as by myself. I live with my parents, well sort of anyway. They're split and don't live together. Both live on ground level. They live about an hour away but that's only with riding the subway and walking/biking.

I don't know if it counts as by myself, but the prepping would primarily be done by myself I suppose, maybe my dad can provide some assistance since he's already retired. I don't have a spouse, children or any of that kind of family to worry about, it's mainly my parents and a younger brother and me. My brother lives on his own, although I think he's also on ground level, but I'm not absolutely certain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Hey welocme from N. Texas. Think all prepping should start with guns and ammo. Whatcha got?
    I don't have the permits and license for them yet. Even then I doubt I'd have the budget for a large supply of them. Perhaps maybe something like 2 handguns and a few magazines for them is about all I can afford, or that I'd expect and think that I could afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Welcome to the site Newbie. There is a lot of good info here. Just remember it will take you some time to learn the game and procure the things you need. Most important don't procrastinate and don't go public with your game. When SHTF happens folks will want to ride your coattails.
    Thanks. I get it. Remain incognito and do not draw any unwanted attention from others. Besides, my situation is not favorable at all either way and I know it. I'd just have to work with and do the best I could due to my limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTango View Post
    Welcome from Alabama

In a way, your situation simplifies things. I can see three scenarios you’ll need to deal with.

First, shelter in place at home.

Build water and food supply. Plan on no electricity. Alternate source of heat. Alternate source of light. You’ll need to stay informed so some sort of small am/fm radio. Security, a way to stay safe at home. First aid and meds. The list goes on...
    I'm gonna get those needed supplies very soon in these next few weeks. Been looking for a good portable solar generator for awhile, think I might have found one, but it's currently out of stock unfortunately.

Second, your home and city aren’t safe or will soon become unsafe. It’s time to leave.

Decide on several different places that will be safer that you know you can either bike to or hike to. Plan routes, secure maps, expect the unexpected. Assemble a bug out bag. You’re going to need to stay informed so you can make your decision to leave as early as possible. You’re going to need several ways to filter water on the go. The list goes on...
    This is the hardest one since I don't have a car of my own and I also don't have a massive budget for. I would want to leave the densely populated cities but it's going to be tough. I almost forgotten about water filtration, thanks for the reminder though.

Third, you’re at work or commuting when SHTF.

Is there a place at work to keep emergency supplies? Your EDC (Every Day Carry) items will be extremely important! What if you can’t get back home before you have to leave the city? Save extra cash for cab ride out of town. Plan routes out of town from work. The list goes on...
    The suppose the only good news is that work isn't more than 30 minutes away walking distance from home, well for most part anyway. Other than my locker at work there isn't much space in them to store supplies. I did keep cash around though, I suppose getting a cab ride, maybe uber or lyft ride out of town is my other option.

Have you searched for prepper groups in your area? Are you a member of a church? Any coworkers you’d be able to trust and form a small team with? Dependable family members within reach?
    At the moment I did find a local meetup group for preppers. I'd rather not draw unwanted attention from coworkers about prepping. This is also another tough one, but I'll work on it.

Do you live in a house? If so, you can start a food garden.
    If you live in an apartment, you could try a vertical or a container garden in your balcony.
    Gardening is not as simple as it sounds, and requires some time to learn. While you cannot move out of the city, you can learn a lot about growing seasons, seed starting, fertilizers, etc, and that would be very useful if you move to the country someday. Pick some vegatable seeds you like and start from there.
    You will save some money buying fresh vegetables, and in a situation where you have to depend on stored food, some fresh veggies surely will be nice, and add valuable vitamines.

Knowledge is free so don’t fret the cost. When I lived in SF I had every feasible path from my condo to my boat figured out, by day, by night, and by crisis as best I could. Now I’m out of there thank goodness and non of that free planning was a waste it always made me feel better. Learn how to cycle out of there, where you might go and remember there is park land, BLM land and options out there you don’t have to buy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links