Review my bug out plan?
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Review my bug out plan?

This is a discussion on Review my bug out plan? within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, but I really love it so far! I was wondering if a few people could weigh in and ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Review my bug out plan?

Review my bug out plan?

Hello everyone, I'm new to this site, but I really love it so far! I was wondering if a few people could weigh in and review my plan for when SHTF.

My family (4 people and two dogs, including myself) live in Colorado, in a somewhat rural area. There are less than 100,000 people that live within 100 miles of us, but we still plan to bug out if there's a major event that leaves us with no choice. I have started planning for all of us and have made one (very large) bag so far, which contains a few things to get us through the first few days. I have a tent, food, water, stove, first aid, other basic survival stuff, knives, personal hygiene stuff, and some other things as well. I am planning on getting my family to a camp ground about 50 miles away, but the only way there is a four wheel drive trail, so many people would not be able to make it. I am planning on loading up the rest of the food we have stored, but accordingly to how long we anticipate to be gone for. We have quite a bit of food stored up, definitely enough to last us at least a couple months, but I would prefer to not load the hundreds of pounds of stuff into the back of my truck to just drive there and back. Is there anything else I am missing? I have ran through a few checklists and believe that I have quite a bit of it covered, but I would always like to improve myself. Thank you.
    Jeep likes this.

I dont plan to bug out due to my situation. If I was, I would pack everything I could in a vehicle or two. All food would go no matter what! If I thinks its important enough to leave I'm planning on not coming back for a while. If I come back early I would rather feel I wasted my time than get there knowing I cant come back and wish I had more.
    Moonshinedave likes this.

Zed

I believe , if you want to have ample stock of food and water..you definitely need a trailer ..
    Firearms?
    If there are children in your group, then you need to extra cautious for items to pack, and their safety in wilds

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Face it: if you leave it, consider it lost!

In any widespread shtf situation your home will be occupied territory by pepple from the nearest population center. As such, once you bug out, you can't come back. So pack on that basis. If it's winter, you're going to use a lot more calories staying warm and you'll be unable to grow anytging, so bottled multivitamins will be critical. A good chunk of space has to go to ammo. If you're using some as defense and a lot for hunting, that adds up. Water, of course, will be an issue, what with the current drought. Make sure each person has serious filter capacity. Don't know about you, but many people in bugout planning forget to plan for things as simple as flat tires. If you're driving trucks to your bol, then a supply (suitably stabilized) of fuel is critical. Then make sure to take all your clothes. They wear out and you won't head to the mall for new ones. And all this has weight. This isn't the end of the list, it's just the end of the beginning.
    Zed, tks and Moonshinedave like this.
    I wouldn't want to be part of any organization that would allow me to be a member.

In Memorium
    Corporal Bradley Coy 06/08/92-10/24/14

The first question I would ask is why bug out? Especially to a campsite that will be tough to defend with limited resources. Most people think they can run to the woods and survive but in a true WTSHTF situation, everyone will have the same plan and resources will disappear fast. You want multiple bags because two is one and one is none. A good idea is to have multiple caches of food and supplies hidden that can be reached because you may not make it to your campsite or may loose everything to the disaster or looters. You really can't do it by yourself and if you can get multiple people on board with your plans, you will have a better shot of making it.
    Moonshinedave, Ripley and Slippy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
    There are less than 100,000 people that live within 100 miles of us, but we still plan to bug out if there's a major event that leaves us with no choice.
    First welcome to the site!

As far as your mention of that you plan to bug out if there is a MAJOR event that leaves you with no choice. You have to determine WHAT would constitute a major event... This will also help you determine what needs to be prepared to load up based on the situation (which is the items listed below). But if you are like me and will only bug out in a major event (Major Hurricane that will wipe out my home) you will also need to prepare what items will be required if you "bug-in".

A camp ground.... is this camp ground on a MAP or worse is there signs advertising its location from a major route? Many vehicles may not make it but people on foot will eventually come to it.... Depending on the size of this camp site you have to consider having neighbors, if not at first but eventually.

As far as additional stuff.... don't forget basic vehicle maintaince items (tools, battery backup/charger, etc). If possible look at "storage options" for your vehicle(s) (roof wrack/trailer) to extend your ability to bring gear with you.

Other than that.... browse the forums and you will find PLENTY of items to help fill this list of items to bring out.
    Moonshinedave and Zed like this.

I'm trying to think what would drive the city dwellers out of their stocked restaurants and stores to head out to the country. Extremely few people are savvy enough to make it out in nature and they know it...So that leaves the bulk of the people looting in the city and then slowly migrating out as supplies dwindled. Unless something major is driving them out in droves and then I suspect that they are hauling ass to get to a place they know is safe...i.e. a family member in a town over etc... Homes along those routes may get looted. especially if they are vacant.

Leaving anything is asking for it to be looted. SO either take great strides to hide/bury things you want to leave, take it all with you, or make various stock piles in caches...as meangreen recommended, because you cannot guarantee that you will make it to the camp ground or someone a little more prepared and less hospitable makes it there before you.

What I am recommending is have a plan B, C, and D. A trailer, that has the bulk of your supplies - preloaded in the garage could ease the packing issues some.... Or it could just help someone steal all your supplies easier if they catch you away from home.....
    Moonshinedave and Zed like this.

Something might happen where a person has no choice but to leave their home, but if all possible, I'd consider staying put. In my opinion, unless you live downtown in a major city, your home will give you the best chance for survival.
    Old SF Guy wrote exactly what I was thinking, you had better have a plan B, and even a plan C and D. Say you plan to go to a campsite? Wonder how many other people have plans to go to that same site. Perhaps you own the land? really think people are going to care who owns what if things get that bad? Have a plan to go somewhere else if you have to.
    Camel923 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Old SF Guy View Post
    I'm trying to think what would drive the city dwellers out of their stocked restaurants and stores to head out to the country. Extremely few people are savvy enough to make it out in nature and they know it...So that leaves the bulk of the people looting in the city and then slowly migrating out as supplies dwindled. Unless something major is driving them out in droves and then I suspect that they are hauling ass to get to a place they know is safe...i.e. a family member in a town over etc... Homes along those routes may get looted. especially if they are vacant.

Leaving anything is asking for it to be looted. SO either take great strides to hide/bury things you want to leave, take it all with you, or make various stock piles in caches...as meangreen recommended, because you cannot guarantee that you will make it to the camp ground or someone a little more prepared and less hospitable makes it there before you.

What I am recommending is have a plan B, C, and D. A trailer, that has the bulk of your supplies - preloaded in the garage could ease the packing issues some.... Or it could just help someone steal all your supplies easier if they catch you away from home.....
    It may be that I live in a rural area that I get the response of "heading to the hills." I ask people what would they do in an emergency and why and they usually answer that "they would live off the land in the forest." It maybe a lazy response because they don't have any supplies stockpiled. The same with the answer of "shooting others and taking their supplies." When the cities become empty of supplies or too dangerous to stay, people are going to head to the rural areas and forests like locusts. I would bug out, only as a very last resort or because it is too unsafe to stay. My bug out plan has several different routes and designated locations held by friends and co conspirators.
    Last edited by Meangreen; 10-29-2014 at 06:56 AM.
    Moonshinedave likes this.

Banned

okay I can say first off you have a good general idea however you should definitely work things down to a more specific level so you say food but tell you want to know what to do you have what your calc house or what your nutritional content is otherwise you could have been fishing season your diet people going on a long voyage they're going to plan their water down to the nearest you know pint or otherwise based upon how long you plan on being out and water supplies are the same goes for calorie count you know everything so look at what you do have and make sure you have a good balanced diet that's going to do you.

other than food and water the other thing of course the shelter which of those three things covered survival is there are the basic level anything on top of that is just the bells and whistles.

one thing that you don't seem to have them places contingency planning I realize that you know what you plan on bugging out in your Jeep or whatnot but what happens if you lose the wheel what if your engine breaks down then what are you doing this is why a convoy of vehicles is far better than just a single vehicle what happens if the roads clogged what happens if there's a rock fall or otherwise what's your plan then make sure you do have a backup and contingency for any situation that breaks down your people depending on planninthat you have a solution for that that's affected problem solving in advance of the problem which is exactly what you need to do and that I don't see you should be doing the same thing and making sure I need problem that you can see happening that you have a solution for that that's affected problem solving in advance of the problem which is exactly what you need to do and that I don't see here

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links