Lone girl prepper advice.
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on Lone girl prepper advice. within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Hello everyone. I am of course new to this. I am 20, female, and completely alone in my prepping. I have a bug out bag ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Lone girl prepper advice.

Kim

Hello everyone. I am of course new to this.
    I am 20, female, and completely alone in my prepping.
    I have a bug out bag already, I've had it for over a year and just recently updated it. It's only stocked with enough stuff to last me a couple of days.
    I live just on the outskirts of Atlanta and plan to head north into the Appalachian Mountains when things go down.
    I do have rifle training but I feel firearms will just weigh me down, so I plan to keep fishing wire and hooks and use my dog who is a rat terrier in great shape to help catch small game. I've watched him take down quite a few squirrels and birds to know he is capable. :grin:
    I know it will be dangerous for a girl such as myself to have nothing but a small dog at my side. I tried to bring up bug out plans with my friends and they all agreed they were staying with their family, I have no family so I guess I'm alone in this.
    General advice and criticism to help me?
    Dropy and shotlady like this.

firearms first they make light weight hand guns and rifles you need one choice is yours but you cant defeat a 230# man. now start on building up your stores first aid water, try freeze dried foods rice beans water purifaction,
    jc-hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim View Post
    Hello everyone. I am of course new to this.
    I am 20, female, and completely alone in my prepping.
    I have a bug out bag already, I've had it for over a year and just recently updated it. It's only stocked with enough stuff to last me a couple of days.
    I live just on the outskirts of Atlanta and plan to head north into the Appalachian Mountains when things go down.
    I do have rifle training but I feel firearms will just weigh me down, so I plan to keep fishing wire and hooks and use my dog who is a rat terrier in great shape to help catch small game. I've watched him take down quite a few squirrels and birds to know he is capable. :grin:
    I know it will be dangerous for a girl such as myself to have nothing but a small dog at my side. I tried to bring up bug out plans with my friends and they all agreed they were staying with their family, I have no family so I guess I'm alone in this.
    General advice and criticism to help me?
    Wow..Impressive...wanna meet my son?....I'll MAKE you family LOL! He needs someone like you ! He's a prepper! BTW He loves dogs too LOL!

I gotta agree with kyletx1911a1 though....A gun is a must for a 20 year old girl on her own...a revolver at least.....no mistakes...pull trigger...go boom! Easy to load / Reload! but go .38 or .357 magnum at least. If you were my daughter in law you'd have any and every gun you ever wanted.....Just sayin....I'd spoil the hell outta my only daughter! ROFL!
    Last edited by SSGT; 09-05-2012 at 06:41 PM.
    RaigenB, preppermama and jc-hunter like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Kim - You sound pretty capable and I give you a great deal of credit for your commitment, determination and courage.

As ktletx1911a1 pointed out, even if you have excellent wilderness skills you remain vulnerable to attack, either by a wild animal or a human. If firearms are truly not in your plan (not judging), I would strongly advise you to become proficient (damn good) at protecting yourself with some other type of weapon. It doesn’t have to be a knife, a crossbow or some such. For instance, I studied Jo Staff for some time under a female instructor that trained riot police for a living. What appears to be a simple 4 – 5 foot hardwood walking stick can easily break ribs and crack skulls when managed by a skill practitioner. More than once I watched a 5’ 2” barefoot lady bring 6’ 3” troopers to their knees in seconds (and she was being gentle).

Even though that was more than a decade ago, when I walk in the woods, I often bring my Jo Staff along and I practice my kata’s as I walk (great upper body toner). In a confrontation I’d still rather have a gun, but if all I have is my walking stick, I stand a far better chance of coming out alive than if all I have is a pocket knife and canine buddy... no disrespect to your dog.
    rice paddy daddy and RaigenB like this.
    The smithy’s anvil rings with woe.
    Swords for soldiers row on row.
    Against the nobles they must stand.
    And for their souls take back the land.
    AnvilIron

Check out the Georgia Preppers Network. I am sure you will find some like minded folks in your area. We are happy to have you here in the forum.
    I also have to agree with kyletx1911a1. You don't have to buy a heavy weapon. Anything will be better than nothing.
    "In the house of the wise are stores of choice food and oil, but a foolish mans devours all he has." Proverbs 21:20 Hidden Content

Hidden Content

SORRY lady i didnt say welcome the purpose of prep is to survive ,food, water, weapons, a plan, im thinking at least bow. or mabye a.22 for distance.
    and just me dont share your plans unless you are very sure

I got into prepping after i bought my ruger 10/22! its lite weight and i put a slig on it. also picked up the ruger sr22. do not underestimate the value of having 17oz (sr22) on your person. 525rounds will cost you 30 bux and weigh about 2 lbs. you cant afford to not have one. if your state is no hang guns till yer 21 then a ruger 10/22 will be an excellent choice. i applaud you... and challenge you to kick it up a notch and consider a side arm.

i too have no where to go or people to go with but im pretty much ready with my bug out bag. i have two as i will enlist someone that want to live on my way out of town. as 1 is none and 2 is1 when it comes to emergencies. in my corner i am well trained and practiced with fire arms.
    jc-hunter and Denton like this.

Kim

Ah, thank you so much for your replies everyone. I will definitely look into all the things that you guys have suggested.
    PrepperRecon.com likes this.

The Good Cop

Thanks for that link, PrepperRecon. I live close to Georgia, so I checked out that forum. Joined up, too.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

I am in South Ga myself. I would recommend you have at least one kind of firearm. Even if it was something as small as a a Ruger p22 pistol. But you could get a lightweight .22 rifle and not weigh you down too much.. If you are alone, you need to have some kind of protection. There are a LOT of bad people out there. Especially if something were to happen and everything went to crap!! Just my 2cc's worth.. I do give you props for wanting to be prepared. You are one of the smart younger people out there. Most of the 20 somethings nowadays are only interested in phones,IPODS and internet!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links