The Ultimate Prepper E-Library Thread - Page 5
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

The Ultimate Prepper E-Library Thread

This is a discussion on The Ultimate Prepper E-Library Thread within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Originally Posted by Trihonda I spoke to Back Pack Hack via PM, and he is to be commended for this potentially life saving (maybe even ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Ultimate Prepper E-Library Thread

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
    I spoke to Back Pack Hack via PM, and he is to be commended for this potentially life saving (maybe even society saving) resource. I'm interested in getting a digital copy. My hope is that Back Back Hack might eventually get a zipped file (or two) of the entire library onto a Google (or share) drive. That way people could simply download one file (which could take a couple minutes).

I've followed the advice ITT and am currently copying the website (using HHTrack), BUT at it's current DL/copy speed, it will be 3 weeks before it mirrors the website... I've been at it 19 hours, and I'm still on "A" alphabetically... I am normally patient, but with how things are going, I have no idea if we'll even have an internet in 3 weeks... I'd like to get this library sooner.

At the current sizing of the library (35+gb), a normal free 15gb google drive account can't tackle this. Does anyone have this library and a google drive with enough space that would be willing to share this with me and others digitally (even if only hosting it a short time)?

Thanks,
    Trihonda!
    It's much easier to have it on a thumb drive. The mail only takes a few days.
    MaterielGeneral likes this.

Yikes! I'm going to say something that might get me in a bit of out water but here it comes. Great resource is available to you at no charge and you have to expend some effort to download it. The "mail takes only a few days" smells of the "have someone else do all the work and send it to me" attitude. Why? Because it doesn't get on the thumbdrive on its own. It doesn't pack itself in a bubble envelope on it's own.
    Hell, the thumbdrive hasn't bought itself and delivered itself to someone's house to get downloaded on it's own either. And then it didn't drive itself to the post office on its own.

Yes it takes some time to download. The original instructions left me feel lacking to I figured out a resource that worked a bit better, was more hands off after you started it and posted how I did it. Believe me, after you work for something, you appreciate it more then if it's a free handout....

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wedrownik View Post
    Yikes! I'm going to say something that might get me in a bit of out water but here it comes. Great resource is available to you at no charge and you have to expend some effort to download it. The "mail takes only a few days" smells of the "have someone else do all the work and send it to me" attitude. Why? Because it doesn't get on the thumbdrive on its own. It doesn't pack itself in a bubble envelope on it's own.
    Hell, the thumbdrive hasn't bought itself and delivered itself to someone's house to get downloaded on it's own either. And then it didn't drive itself to the post office on its own.

Yes it takes some time to download. The original instructions left me feel lacking to I figured out a resource that worked a bit better, was more hands off after you started it and posted how I did it. Believe me, after you work for something, you appreciate it more then if it's a free handout....
    Some of us don't have the time and someone else has taken the time to do the research, compile it into a library and offer it at a reasonable price.

The same can be said about furniture. You can make your own at a small fraction of retail. Computers can also be built at a much smaller cost. The cost of components is all your out. It does take time though to make them into something useful.
    Last edited by inceptor; 01-10-2021 at 10:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    MaterielGeneral and NMPRN like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

I don't believe it took me that long to download the whole library so part of the issue might be the speed of your internet and your machine.
    If it's a laptop make sure that it doesn't of to some sort of power saving/optimization because that will definitely slow down your download.
    I have lightening fast internet. Just upgraded to 400mbps service, but we routinely get much higher, even through wifi (just tested my phone and got 433mbps. However, I'm using our main desktop, and internet speeds are even faster there. Is there some other trick that I'm missing? I even went onto youtube for a HHTrack tutorial...

As to the speed of downloading a 35gb zip file, I imagine it will certainly take a number of minutes. I often download very large program zips from several patreon subscriptions via google drive. Never takes more than a few minutes. and I know these files are always multiple gigibites in size. Yes, 35gb might take a little extra, but not hours/days/weeks... EDIT: I did an online calculation and it would likely take a couple hours for 35gb. Sorry..

Honestly, I am a bit concerned. I'd just go with BPHs individual file download instructions, though it would take a while, but it'll be my birthday in a couple hours, and my wife has plans for me and the kids all day tomorrow. Then I'm off on a mandatory work trip for 4 days, and will not have time to spend hours at the computer transferring individual folders. I'm already freaking out about leaving the family for the better part of a week given what is going on, but I know my local peeps have my family's back. A resource library was one of my last preps needed...

Also edited to add, that I'm not opposed to buying a USB drive (with the library) and having it shipped for like $10-20. I even offered BPH to sponsor a year of google drive storage fees so he could host it for all.
    Last edited by Trihonda; 01-10-2021 at 10:57 PM.

Is there anyone interested/willing to copy their complete library onto a flash drive and sell it to me? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Trihonda View Post
    Is there anyone interested/willing to copy their complete library onto a flash drive and sell it to me? Thanks.
    Well, I've been at this website copying thing for a while now... I left for a 5 day trip, and left my PC on while the HTTracker kept working. Unfortunately my computer must have rebooted at some point (or the host site blipped), and the program stopped... At least the program does have a feature where it will start back up where it left off if a copy job is interrupted. So I'm back at it without starting over. Currently at 9gb of 35gb... Slow and steady.

Still open to helping sponsor the posting of this to a google drive available for upload.

It’s been ten days overall of my PC trying to copy this website... only 13gb of 35gb of progress... at this rate, it’ll be a month.

Have you heard of "Time is Money"? What value do you put on your time? Many people do not have the time to invest so they outsource.
    A prudent man foresees evil and hides himself, But the simple pass on and are punished. Proverbs 22:3 NKJV

Consider how much time it took me to collect all that information. Then organize it by topic. And wade through it finding duplicates. Hell, I probably spent 100 hours just finding all the different firearm manufacturer's websites and raiding their Support page for instruction manuals.

Jez' sayin'.
    inceptor likes this.
    My New Years' Resolution is 240p.
    Visit my YouTube page: Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by MaterielGeneral View Post
    Have you heard of "Time is Money"? What value do you put on your time? Many people do not have the time to invest so they outsource.
    Quote Originally Posted by Back Pack Hack View Post
    Consider how much time it took me to collect all that information. Then organize it by topic. And wade through it finding duplicates. Hell, I probably spent 100 hours just finding all the different firearm manufacturer's websites and raiding their Support page for instruction manuals.

Jez' sayin'.
    I agree. I can't say enough thanks to you two for taking the time to craft such invaluable resources. Should the SHTF, and we are thrust into a crazy world, libraries like these might mean the difference between survival (or not). I plan to keep a small laptop with these databases loaded on them, as well as several copies of them on flash drives in various places and members of our group. I can use solar power to keep the laptops up and running. EMP hasn't been much on my radar, but I'm even considering crafting a small faraday enclosure to fit my solar generator and a couple folding panels (along with all my comms and other small electronics gear).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links