Opinions on bunkers
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Opinions on bunkers

This is a discussion on Opinions on bunkers within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; I have heard many different negative and positive opinions on bug-in bunker/shelters. I personally believe that if you have the resources, in a SHTF situation, ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: Opinions on bunkers

Exclamation Opinions on bunkers

I have heard many different negative and positive opinions on bug-in bunker/shelters.
    I personally believe that if you have the resources, in a SHTF situation, you should stay in your bunker as long as possible, through any situations.
    But that's my idea, what's yours?

From me

Super Moderator

To have a bunker means you aren't fluid. Come Hell or high water, there you are. I don't have a bunker and I never will.
    "Reality is almost always wrong."
    Dr. Gregory House

Sort of like a place you can defend.

In a nuke situation, probably best idea. But then how long, where you go?
    Denton likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

A nuclear bunker sure, but for TEOTWAWKI I'd rather not be boxed in so to speak. Many a castle has been taken by just sitting outside the walls until their food and water run out.
    I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number please.

Stupidity, the New Common Sense

I'm more of a spider-hole guy. Rent a small trencher/backhoe and take a modern plastic septic tank (plumbed) out into the woods a distance. Plumb out breather holes to the bushes. Stock with sleeping bag, pad, water, scoped rifle, med supplies, Battery powered lantern, and food. If you get overrun, off to the spidey spot. Stay a couple days, then come back at night and snipe usurpers one at a time while they smoke or pee off the porch LOL.

Name:  Thumb.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  20.4 KB
    Slippy, Denton, A Watchman and 8 others like this.

A bunker is all well and good if you happen to be near one when the missiles start flying. ( Hint: they are not going to tell you ) I have prepared to hunker down at my house, at least initially. This allows me more flexibility and the ability to adapt to the conditions. I am well fortified, well armed, and well informed. If necessary and conditions allow, I can sustain myself for well over a year.
    bigwheel likes this.
    " All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope" .Hidden Content

I have a lower level which was to be a kid's bedroom. I'm thinking of hardening the walls and buying one of those metal doors. The room is also big enough to store ample food.
    bigwheel likes this.
    ...No matter where you are it's enemy territory...

The Good Cop

I prefer freedom of movement.
    If any part of your bunker is visible, it would be a simple matter to root you out.
    Perhaps engine exhaust gas thru the vent. Perhaps pouring gasoline in the vent followed by an ignition device (match, burning rag, etc).
    Then it would be like Marines vs Japs in WW2. When you run out, you are gunned down.

Besides, you are in Orlando, dig down 10 feet and you’re in water. There’s a reason Florida homes don’t have basements.
    Denton, StratMaster and Camel923 like this.
    "There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill
    "Leave the artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot." Napoleon
    Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America, Society of the 5th Infantry Division, Sons of the American Revolution.

A bunker is only practical if you are able and willing to outlast the rest of humanity that's living outside your bunker.
    If you aren't, time becomes another enemy. And it always wins.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

While bunkers have their place in prepping. I can afford it. There is no way I could move everything to BOL unless
    I get help, which might happen. While I think a nuke on my area is remote, my plans will entail diassembling my
    concrete block fence (wall) around the house to build a fallout shelter. There is enough materials to do a sufficient job.
    My basic plan, is to Bug In if at all possible. I have been saving electronics to throw out in the front yard to make it
    appear as if my house and the house next to me have been looted. I've created false signs, saying there is shelter,
    food, etc. that point scavengers and the like away from my subdivision. I'm looking at liberating a buch of sandbags
    from construction sites to build a sandbag wall by all my windows and doors as areas to defend my house if necessary.
    Why, there is no way in hell that I can get out of Dodge if the highways are messed up.
    Denton likes this.
    I really want one of these!Hidden Content

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links