EMPs/Faraday Whats at risk Proofing
Register

Welcome to the Prepper Forum / Survivalist Forum.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

This is a discussion on EMPs/Faraday Whats at risk Proofing within the General Prepper and Survival Talk forums, part of the Survivalist, Prepper, Bushcrafter, Forest Rangers category; Been seeing this a long time not a good cocensus on it. 1) What is at risk? eg will LED bulbs fry, older car coils/points ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: EMPs/Faraday Whats at risk Proofing

Been seeing this a long time not a good cocensus on it.

1) What is at risk? eg will LED bulbs fry, older car coils/points systems, solar light panels, your headlamps w/soildstate, ...........

2) How much shielding?

Yup I know it's been done but it's back again..........

assuming a massive EMP and no faraday cage
    -LED bulbs will work but since the more expensive flashlights have a chip to regulate the voltage the fancy flashlights won't; cheap $3 led flashlights will. Incandescent bulb flashlights will also survive.
    -LED lights in your home have a voltage step down converter which may or may not survive; incandescent bulbs should survive.

-Tests of driving a car built after about 1977 through an EMP generator usually kills the car but scientists theorize that a car that isn't running will probably survive.
    -Tests on solar panels that aren't hooked up show they will probably survive. Theoretically solar panels with short wire runs (less than 20') will also survive. But panels hooked with long wire runs are less likely to survive because the longer wire will catch more of the H1 wave.

Your plugged into the wall C-PAP machine will not survive.
    Last edited by Elvis; 12-04-2018 at 09:56 PM.

If it has a chip, it's at risk from the E1.
    If it's connected to long transmission lines, it's at risk from the E3.
    I'll try to expand on this more in the morning when not on my phone.
    "Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

4. Remove Advertisements
    PrepperForums.net
    Advertisements

Ironic, the Chi-Comm make the chips and know how vulnerable they are.
    Announcing Our New web-site 100% CBD products
    Hidden Content

I read a report some time ago, scientists exposed solar panels to, if I recall correctly up to 50kv.
    The panels survived just fine.

The inverters on the other hand did not.

While I've seen no tests on generators I suspect that PSW inverter generators with their much more complicated and delicate electronics are much less likely to survive than the cheaper generators most people have. @WhatTheHeck

Considering that our military has been writing reports on EMP and trying to harden military equipment against it for over 50 years I'd imaging they have quite a bit of empirical data about what works and what doesn't; including typical items a civilian would have like a car or flashlight. I suspect they don't release much detailed information to avoid scaring the sheeple.
    Last edited by Elvis; 12-05-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
    Considering that our military has been writing reports on EMP and trying to harden military equipment against it for over 50 years I'd imaging they have quite a bit of empirical data about what works and what doesn't; including typical items a civilian would have like a car or flashlight. I suspect they don't release much detailed information to avoid scaring the sheeple.
    Most of what the military has done is available under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), you just have to know what to ask for, and we don't give you a hint. I worked for .gov for 35 years, the first 4 years with the Navy (civilian) on a missile fire control radar, it had HEMP hardening on the receive waveguide, which was a small chunk of waveguide with glass windows, spark gap inside, filled with tritium gas, and of course all the electronics racks and cabinets were RF sealed. Then I worked for the Army in Satellite communications, and everything was HEMP hardened, mainly conduit runs, non-ferrous conduit only. After that I went on to IT, and nothing was hardened, unless it was hardened by the Command Center, think Raven Rock, Mt. Weather...

There is a good Army Tech Manual on "Grounding Bonding & Shielding", I'll see if I still have a copy of it. Basically ring and spoke grounds (250 MCM copper), rings and spokes all Cad welded connections, copper/brass Faraday screen rooms, entrance points as small as you can make them using non-ferrous conduit, bonded to the cage/room.

Personally I'm going with the Garbage can with the Aluminum A/C tape around the lid...

Rancher
    Last edited by azrancher; 12-05-2018 at 08:19 AM.
    Camel923, inceptor and modfan like this.

Since there probably would be between 5 and 30 minutes warning of a potential EMP missile attack I suspect that power companies have some plan to attempt to disconnect some of the larger transformers before the EMP hits.

A guy I know works for the local power company and he said they'd recently installed switches to disconnect the larger transformers from the main office rather than have someone drive to the transformer and manually throw the switch. He didn't understand why they had done this; his concern is that it made the power grid more likely to be damaged if a hacker got into the main office computers. But I can see how it could allow the main office able to quickly disconnect the main transformers from the power lines minimize the H1 wave (I think it's called the H1 wave).

This will do nothing to minimize the wave blasting through the power lines into your home but would make recovery faster since the hard to build giant transformers would be more likely to survive.

Thanks @azrancher
    @Kauboy I'm looking forward to you straightening mu vocabulary out when it comer to H1 or E1 waves ect. Or maybe AZRANCHER knows the correct terms and can help me.
    Last edited by Elvis; 12-05-2018 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
    ...........There is a good Army Tech Manual on "Grounding Bonding & Shielding", I'll see if I still have a copy of it............
    Like These?
    Last edited by Back Pack Hack; 12-05-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    Mad Trapper likes this.
    My ability to recall lyrics from a song written in the 70's far exceeds my ability to recall why I walked into the kitchen.
    The Ultimate Prepper's E-Library can be found Hidden Content .
    Feel free to visit my YouTube page. Hidden Content

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links